The Student Room Group

Do any Hindus feel that liberals are pushing them aside for Muslims?

Probably an attempt to attract Muslim voters to liberal parties, tolerating Muslims and Islam has become vogue among liberals in Britain and the greater west.

Conservative Hinduism has never been "fashionable" in the UK and most British people still have a very poor understanding of Hinduism and Hindu culture.

Yet being a "conservative Muslim" is tolerated (or sometimes gratified) by liberals and most Brits are now encouraged by the left to learn about Islam and integrate into Islamic culture.

Hindus are being overlooked and pushed aside. The sheer noise made by Muslims is drowning out Hindus.
Reply 1
Hindus cause no issues so no one cares, if muslims behaved themselves there wouldn't be this huge race/religion problem and yes I blame all Muslims as the majority who are normal people do nothing to aid in bringing down IS

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
bump
I found that Labour panders to Muslims and the Conservatives pander to Hindus so there's some equality.
Reply 4
Original post by MrKmas508
I found that Labour panders to Muslims and the Conservatives pander to Hindus so there's some equality.

That was only really in this election that just went, whereas the Labour party have been doing it for years.
Original post by nucdev
That was only really in this election that just went, whereas the Labour party have been doing it for years.

Perhaps pander was a poor word of choice but I believe the reason why the conservatives suddenly care about Hindus is because the Indian community is economically ascending. Often British politics can be summed up with the Haves (Con) and Have Nots (Lab).
Original post by Souljer
Hindus cause no issues so no one cares, if muslims behaved themselves there wouldn't be this huge race/religion problem and yes I blame all Muslims as the majority who are normal people do nothing to aid in bringing down IS

Posted from TSR Mobile

What would you suggest these 'normal' Muslims do in order to aid in bringing down IS?
Reply 7
Perhaps pander was a poor word of choice but I believe the reason why the conservatives suddenly care about Hindus is because the Indian community is economically ascending. Often British politics can be summed up with the Haves (Con) and Have Nots (Lab).

Nah I would actually agree with the word 'pander'. Even though I am a Hindu and a Conservatives supporter, I don't like the way that they've been pandering to our community lately.

Often, we are ones who complain about left-leaning parties in India pandering to Muslims, and yet our community in the UK was only too happy to let the Conservatives do the same.

And the British Indian community also includes Sikhs in a large number and some Muslims too which are becoming prosperous as well.
The Tories went out of their way to capture, what they called the "Hindu vote" this time though.
Reply 8
Original post by nucdev
Nah I would actually agree with the word 'pander'. Even though I am a Hindu and a Conservatives supporter, I don't like the way that they've been pandering to our community lately.

Often, we are ones who complain about left-leaning parties in India pandering to Muslims, and yet our community in the UK was only too happy to let the Conservatives do the same.

And the British Indian community also includes Sikhs in a large number and some Muslims too which are becoming prosperous as well.
The Tories went out of their way to capture, what they called the "Hindu vote" this time though.

I presume you're an Indian who isn't British-born because you talk about Indian politics.

I actually think more "pandering" is needed to balance out the strong Muslim lean the liberal parties have.

I disagree with the Muslim lean liberal parties have in both India and the UK, but that doesn't mean that the Tories shouldn't pander to Hindus, in the same way it doesn't mean that the Tories shouldn't pander to the middle class.

Muslims aren't really part of the Indian community in Britain because the major Hindu/Muslim divide exists in the UK. I don't even know a single Indian Muslim even-though I live in London. Too much racism between Hindus and Muslims exists for the two communities to be grouped together.

Muslims are lower class and lower income in the UK, but Sikhs are undoubtedly middle class.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by concubines
I presume you're an Indian who isn't British-born because you talk about Indian politics.

I actually think more "pandering" is needed to balance out the strong Muslim lean the liberal parties have.

I disagree with the Muslim lean liberal parties have in both India and the UK, but that doesn't mean that the Tories shouldn't pander to Hindus, in the same way it doesn't mean that the Tories shouldn't pander to the middle class.

Muslims aren't really part of the Indian community in Britain because the major Hindu/Muslim divide exists in the UK. I don't even know a single Indian Muslim even-though I live in London. Too much racism between Hindus and Muslims exists for the two communities to be grouped together.

Muslims are lower class and lower income in the UK, but Sikhs are undoubtedly middle class.

No, actually I'm British born with Indian heritage. It's just that I take an interest in Indian politics which is why I know a bit about it.

My issue with pandering is that it kind of cultivates the perception that a particular party is only for one community and not for others. And that could harm its electoral chances.

The issue for the Conservatives is that Hindus are a smaller community than the Muslims in the UK and will be for the foreseeable future, which means that the Tories are going to struggle with minorities on the whole.

I often found it quite ironic and ridiculous how the left-leaning parties, both here and in India, would often go and align with THE most right-wing, conservative Muslim clerics/Imams in order to gain the Muslim vote.

More liberal-secular Muslim voices get drowned out or just ignored and then the left-leaning parties complain that people's perception of Muslims is that they're all like the conservative clerics - like wtf?

And really? - you've never met an Indian Muslim?
I've met loads (and I live in London) - my next door neighbours were Indian Muslims as were quite a few students at my school.
There's nowhere near as much negative attention on hindus as there is on muslims 'cause there's no massive major hindu terrorist organisations, whereas Islam... well.

So if you're seen to have less social issues around your group then your group's probs gonna get less pandering. Not that it really matters at all...

You're right. My parents voted Conservative for the first time ever in the past election and I know the same is true for a number of Sikh families.

Original post by nucdev

Sikhs are better off than Hindus cuz.

I'd call it the 'middle class Indian vote' more than anything else, to be honest. The conservatives have a fair amount to offer those who are middle/upper class, and Indian communities largely constitute that type of voter.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 12
Original post by dairychocolate

Sikhs are better off than Hindus cuz.

Of course - I just meant that Indian Hindus, Sikhs and Muslims were all becoming prosperous..
Original post by Souljer

Posted from TSR Mobile

No worries, I'm sure we Muslims have got IS on WhatsApp
Original post by nucdev
Of course - I just meant that Indian Hindus, Sikhs and Muslims were all becoming prosperous..

Sikh master race cuz, bow down.
Reply 15
Sikh master race cuz, bow down.

Well seeing as Sikh Gurus protected our lot back in the day from being killed or converted, I have no problem in doing that Lol
Original post by nucdev
Well seeing as Sikh Gurus protected our lot back in the day from being killed or converted, I have no problem in doing that Lol

I'm pretty sure one of the Gurus actually got boiled alive in a cauldron because he refused to convert to Islam.

That feel when I don't have 1/1000 of that courage lmao.
Reply 17
I'm pretty sure one of the Gurus actually got boiled alive in a cauldron because he refused to convert to Islam.

That feel when I don't have 1/1000 of that courage lmao.

Really?
Respect man :adore:

I just wish mah Hindus were as brave as Sikhs - half the issues we've faced in history would never have happened.
Reply 18
As a black make I voted Labour but never again they love muslims too much, Conservatives are now my only option.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 19
The Tories may well be "seen" trying to pander to Hindus but they still have some of the most prominent Pakistani MPs out of the two major parties. They won't get that far with Hindus or Sikhs if they keep promoting Pakistanis over Indians and keep pandering to Muslims too.

Quick Reply

Latest