The Student Room Group

The Cricket Society IV

Scroll to see replies

Reply 160
So, England's 15-man squad for the T20s next year?

Roy, Hales, Root, Morgan (capt), Vince, Taylor, Stokes, Buttler, Billings, Willey, Moeen, Woakes, Rashid, Plunkett, Jordan.

Maybe Topley, Patel, Parry and/or Wood?
Original post by Mackay

deffo topley - he was good in the odi series
Reply 162
Original post by tazza ma razza
deffo topley - he was good in the odi series

The issue is... who does he replace?

Cairns has hit out at McCullum for the NZ skipper's evidence in the trial. Christ. This will just run and run.
Original post by Mackay

Roy, Hales, Root, Morgan (capt), Vince, Taylor, Stokes, Buttler, Billings, Willey, Moeen, Woakes, Rashid, Plunkett, Jordan.

Is Taylor anywhere near the T20 side? He's only played in the recent Test/ODIs.

Jordan would probably be left out for a third spinner in a subcontinental competition.

There's also the small matter of Finn when he returns from injury...
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 164
Original post by Captain Crash
Is Taylor anywhere near the T20 side? He's only played in the recent Test/ODIs.

I'm not sure Willey would get the call over Topley and Jordan would probably be left out for a third spinner in a subcontinental competition.

There's also the small matter of Finn when he returns from injury...

I can't imagine they'll leave a batsman like Taylor at home when he seems so at ease with the white ball.

The issue with Finn is whether he has time to play himself back into contention once recovering from his injury and returning.
Original post by Mackay
I can't imagine they'll leave a batsman like Taylor at home when he seems so at ease with the white ball.

The issue with Finn is whether he has time to play himself back into contention once recovering from his injury and returning.

Whilst Taylor has been playing well for the ODIs, he hasn't played a single international T20 yet. Given there is only the SA series before the WC and the plethora of batting options already, I don't think he'll get a chance unfortunately.

Finn could easily be fit in time for the SA T20 series, but I take your point that he'll need to play back into the team.
Reply 166
Original post by Captain Crash
he'll need to play back into the team.

Another issue, even if he could force his way back into the reckoning, is that another player will have to suffer a dip in form presumably. Willey and Woakes seems certs to go, given the latter's experience and line and length, and the former's good form against Pakistan in the UAE.

He could easily pip Jordan for a place, but his super over bowling showed he may have something to give if he can replicate those expertly bowled yorkers on a regular basis.
Pakistan need to get their act together. Not long till the WC.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 168
Original post by Enginerd.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Running between the wickets and fielding is their biggest concern, but they need to tackle their reliance on ageing players.
Original post by Mackay
Running between the wickets and fielding is their biggest concern, but they need to tackle their reliance on ageing players.

I just don't think the PAK players take playing seriously enough to address their issues. Most of the players, especially the seniors take their places for granted I reckon... doesn't seem too good for the World Cup... but on the other hand, England are looking in red hot form and I'm really looking forward to their next limited over series.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Just checked, bring on SA!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 171
I think one of the most pleasing aspects of the Pakistan series was our death bowling, and the quality we showed with the ball in our hands towards the climax of the opposition's innings.

It has forever been a weakness, at least since I can remember, so it was good to see some improvement in that area.
Original post by Mackay

It has forever been a weakness, at least since I can remember, so it was good to see some improvement in that area.

Quite. I'm glad Dernbach is nowhere near the side too...

Edit: I've just checked his stats. He has the 2nd worst economy in ODI and joint worst in T20 for any player bowling >1000 and >300 balls respectively :rofl:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 173
ICC Test team of the year
A Cook (England, captain), D Warner (Australia), K Williamson (New Zealand), Younis Khan (Pakistan), S Smith (Australia), J Root (England), Sarfraz Ahmed (Pakistan), S Broad (England), T Boult (New Zealand), Yasir Shah (Pakistan), J Hazlewood (Australia) 12th man R Ashwin (India).

ICC ODI team of the year
AB de Villiers (South Africa, captain), T Dilshan (Sri Lanka), H Amla (South Africa), K Sangakkara (Sri Lanka), S Smith (Australia), R Taylor (New Zealand), T Boult (New Zealand), M Shami (India), M Starc (Australia), Mustafizur Rahman (Bangladesh), Imran Tahir (South Africa) 12th man J Root.
Original post by Mackay
ICC Test team of the year
A Cook (England, captain), D Warner (Australia), K Williamson (New Zealand), Younis Khan (Pakistan), S Smith (Australia), J Root (England), Sarfraz Ahmed (Pakistan), S Broad (England), T Boult (New Zealand), Yasir Shah (Pakistan), J Hazlewood (Australia) 12th man R Ashwin (India).

Misbah in for Younis - otherwise it's pretty good
Reply 175
Original post by tazza ma razza
Misbah in for Younis - otherwise it's pretty good

I probably wouldn't have picked Hazlewood, in truth. But it's a decent side, yeah.

Pattinson coming in for Australia for the Windies Tests, according to reports. The man hasn't played a Test since very early 2014. Without Starc and Harris and Johnson, they need him to take to the red-ball arena like a duck to water.

It doesn't help he has been out of the Sheffield Shield.
This is a very weak era for test cricket. Every team is a beast at home but poor away from home. South Africa were the only team that were good home and away but it looks like they have now also joined the trend of home bullies.
Original post by Enginerd.

Posted from TSR Mobile

As long as Afridi is the captain, Pakistan would struggle to make much of an impact at the world cup. People went on about Misbah's ODI captaincy record. Afridi's record as the T20 captain isn't anything spectacular either. His captaincy during the final T20 was terrible.
Afridi was way past it years ago and he's only in on reputation tbh. The ODI/T20 teams give no shortage of a lack of confidence and faith in them. The T20 WC will be about making sure they don't get embarrassed!
Reply 179
You can tell Test cricket is in a dire state when the supposed world's best side is failing to put up any sort of right away in India.

This Test series between SA and India has been a joke. Very little to offer viewers and fans in terms of competitiveness.

Rahane batted majestically today, though.

Quick Reply

Latest