The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I'm sure after another half a season long of Mignolet howlers, Klopp will change his mind. :P

Tbh, it's not like he's going to come out and say he is looking for another keeper in the middle of the season anyway. It wouldn't be smart to damage Mignolet's confidence. Think Klopp is willing to give all the players a chance for the rest of the season to prove themselves so it's highly unlikely he is thinking about replacements atleast until the summer when he has a better idea on who is good enough.
(edited 8 years ago)

It's tough to badmouth your GK though. It's the only position in the team where most clubs don't have a like for like replacement in their squad. So if Mignolet loses form because Klopp says he's looking for a replacement with 7 games before the transfer window opens and 11+ before the window closes..
The proof will be in the pudding for Klopp's Mignolet comments. The pudding, of course, being the January transfer window.

I guess we'll just have to wait and see what he opts to do in January. Klopp may see other areas need bolstering and are more urgent, but I don't see that myself. I can't see Mignolet being our number one goalkeeper next year, and I think Klopp has plans to replace him given he's not his purchase and he is somebody (an inferior somebody) who he has essentially inherited.

My issue with Mignolet isn't even the lack of dominance in the area, or lack of organisation. It isn't even his inability to catch crosses, the gaffes and the howlers costing us points, or the fact his shot stopping is nowhere near as adept as people say. It's his kicking. The man just cannot do it. He's a footballer, for Christ's sake. He has literally been kicking a football since he was 3 or 4 years of age, probably. And he still can't.

I watched a YouTube video of the 2005-06 season earlier this year, and I was almost in tears wanting Reina to return. The man started counter-attacks at will.
Which goalkeeper do you think we could realistically sign, presumably in the summer?

We definitely have greater pull with Klopp, even more so if the keeper is German. Luckily Germany have ridiculous depth in keepers.
I don't think it would be unrealistic to suggest we could sign a young German keeper with great potential like Leno or Horn. Even if we payed over the odds, it would set us up for the long term.

Compared to other positions, GKs are really cheap anyway. A single 10-20m investment in a quality player could give you a 5+ years of service at a bare minimum and even if you don't keep them that long, that'll likely be because you've sold them to a bigger team and made a profit anyway.

United and Arsenal have shown just what having a quality GK can do for you. The amount of points Cech and DDG have saved so far this season is painful to see.
It's a shame because I was glad when we bought him, but Mignolet just won't cut it. No fan wants to have so little confidence in their keeper.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Joyce saying we've opened talks with Mignolet for new contract. Guess he's staying if true, and he does sign. Likely not to get new No.1 then.
I think Klopp is looking for a new keeper, he may say he's not. But not everything they say to the media is true, in fact most of the time its the complete opposite.

I wouldnt mind Mignolet as a number 2.
Original post by mr tim
Joyce saying we've opened talks with Mignolet for new contract. Guess he's staying if true, and he does sign. Likely not to get new No.1 then.

Oh yay.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Guardian also saying what Paul Joyce has said.
Oh for Christ's sake. Really? Well, that's not ideal long-term. He'd make a fine number two, with preferably Horn coming in if Klopp believes he's up to scratch.
He's only 2 years into a 5 year contract, why the **** does he need an extension or pay increase? Not like any other half decent club would want him.
Original post by Mackay
Oh for Christ's sake. Really? Well, that's not ideal long-term. He'd make a fine number two, with preferably Horn coming in if Klopp believes he's up to scratch.

That's exactly my thinking.

Mignolet would be a great number 2 because even though he isn't good enough to consistently have the first spot, he's alright to fill in if required.

Personally I don't see why he'd agree though unless we're actually dumb enough to give him guaranteed top spot. He could be a first team keeper at a mid tabled side or lower and it'd probably make him look better than he is (like at Sunderland).

We gave Mignolet a few years to prove himself and it hasn't worked.
How about we give somebody like Horn a few years and see how that goes?
If we're aspiring to get back in to the CL, we can't have a keeper like Mignolet in goal.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Zerforax
He's only 2 years into a 5 year contract, why the **** does he need an extension or pay increase? Not like any other half decent club would want him.

Imagine it's Klopp putting his money where his mouth is. He has publicly backed Mignolet, and there is doubt over his long-term future, so this is the next logical step.

Seems a bit ridiculous that Klopp's first manner of business is to renew Mignolet's ****ing contract, though.
Original post by Mackay
Imagine it's Klopp putting his money where his mouth is. He has publicly backed Mignolet, and there is doubt over his long-term future, so this is the next logical step.

Seems a bit ridiculous that Klopp's first manner of business is to renew Mignolet's ****ing contract, though.

Scenes when he turns Mignolet in to the next Neuer.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Imagine if Klopp turns Mignolet into a beast goalkeeper. :lol:

But seriously I don't understand why'd we offer him a new contract, he's not good enough to be a starting goalkeeper at any of the top 5 clubs. The disparity is crazy; United have DDG, City have Hart, Arsenal have Cech, Chelsea have Courtois and Tottenham have Lloris. Anyway, I'm willing to give Mignolet until the summer to see if Klopp can work wonders.
I have a feeling Klopp may pick the exact same team as he did against City tonight.

Maybe Coutinho might be the exception, with Klopp holding him back until the weekend if he is unsure over his fitness. I wouldn't start Firmino myself, as he has looked a shade of the player we saw against City in the last two matches. That said, maybe Klopp being there every day at training means he sees something different.

I think it's pretty interesting that Klopp already seems to have players he relies on - Lucas and Milner, namely - despite only being here for so long.

I can see the midfield three being Lucas, Milner and Can. If Coutinho doesn't come in, I'd expect Firmino to start and give us some creativity in the final third, with Lallana and Benteke.
Original post by The.Joker
Imagine if Klopp turns Mignolet into a beast goalkeeper. :lol:

But seriously I don't understand why'd we offer him a new contract, he's not good enough to be a starting goalkeeper at any of the top 5 clubs. The disparity is crazy; United have DDG, City have Hart, Arsenal have Cech, Chelsea have Courtois and Tottenham have Lloris. Anyway, I'm willing to give Mignolet until the summer to see if Klopp can work wonders.

Wouldn't be down to Klopp but the goalkeeper coaching staff. I doubt Klopp will have much input other than to realise Mignolet can't distribute the ball and therefore our tactics need to be adjusted slightly.

Makes no sense to offer a new contract. Some people saying he needs a new contract to keep his value. He still has 2.5 years left on his contract and no big club is going to come in for him. Frankly extending his contract now will only lead to a bigger pay-off to him when we do sell.

Wait till the summer - if he's had a great season then we can extend (since he'll only have 2 years left at that point). If he's had another poor season, we can sell for like £3-5mil hopefully. His wages already make it difficult to sell him so giving him a higher wage now is crazy.
I think there's a certain amount of Klopp showing he won't be dictated to in this. If he and the goalkeeping staff genuinely have faith in Mignolet, then OK. But, I imagine this is going some way to him sticking a pin in thoughts that the fans know best. After all, if he was to appease the fans, he'd have to get rid of Lovren, Lallana and maybe even the likes of Moreno and Allen in the summer along with Mignolet before raiding Dortmund to keep us all happy.