The Student Room Group

Is Gender a social construct? Yes or No?

This poll is closed

What do you think

Yes 37%
No 44%
Ya all just need to chill the **** out 19%
Feminism is evil but so is patriarchy......0%
Total votes: 54
Discuss.

Scroll to see replies

Yeah well obviously. Everything is. :colonhash:
Reply 2
Original post by william walker
Yeah well obviously. Everything is. :colonhash:

Well some people might argue that gender is within our nature.
Reply 3
Yes. The main reason people get confused over their gender is due to the traditional gender stereotypes imo
Reply 4
No, gender is a biological construct. The way that genders are taught to act is a social construct.
It's not a simple case of 'yes' or 'no', it's both social and biological.
Reply 6
What's with the third and fourth option?:toofunny:

I am pretty sure they are just irrelevant to the question?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by ah-meg
No, gender is a biological construct. The way that genders are taught to act is a social construct.

That's a good way of thinking about it and I agree that traditional gender roles are a social construct. It's somewhat confusing that "gender" and "traditional gender roles" are often used interchangeably.
Reply 8
Original post by Ya Dunno
What's with the third and fourth option?:toofunny:

I am pretty sure they are just irrelevant to the question?

I already know that this thread is gonna end up in a fight so I added the third option. And the fourth option is for people who do not know ****
Reply 9
Original post by Twinpeaks
It's not a simple case of 'yes' or 'no', it's both social and biological.

Use the third and the fourth option, in it !
Bruv man why u gotta all complicated. be decisive and precise and not dont chill on the fence bruv
Original post by eoe
I already know that this thread is gonna end up in a fight so I added the third option. And the fourth option is for people who do not know ****

Oh okay then, you got yourself a nice variety of options.

good to see you how you thought this through.

Some people rush into things when making a poll, but you strike me as a person who likes to take his time.:top: And includes everyone in the mix as to not leave anyone out.
Reply 11
Original post by Ya Dunno
Oh okay then, you got yourself a nice variety of options.

good to see you how you thought this through.

Some people rush into things when making a poll, but you strike me as a person who likes to take his time.:top: And includes everyone in the mix as to not leave anyone out.

I love myself as you advised everyone TSR
Its all thanks to you
Original post by eoe
I love myself as you advised everyone TSR
Its all thanks to you

PRSOM.:top:

And thanks, you got me to my seventh gem.
By definition, yes.

I don't know how you could argue against this. Its like saying that the 2+2 isn't 4.
Original post by ah-meg

You've confused 'gender' with 'sex'. Nice try, though.
Original post by ah-meg

NO. Gender is not a biological construct. Sex is biological. Gender is self perspective.
Original post by ah-meg

The proper term for the biological construct (if it can be called that) is 'sex.' Gender itself is a social construct.
Students are the worst when it comes to discussions.
Penis=male=man, vagina=female=woman.

I equate gender and sex to be identical. As sex is biological I see gender as biological. It's just a synonym IMO.

Quick Reply

Latest