The Student Room Group

PGCE Applications 2016

Scroll to see replies

I got an offer from Southampton!
Original post by sjla94
I got an offer from Southampton!

Congratulations!! Will you be accepting? Have you taken your skills test yet?
Had an interview yesterday for secondary computer science and got an unconditional offer today. So you can imagine I am pretty hyped.

I have another interview on the 16th with a school direct programme, but I think I am going to cancel it and accept this amazing offer. Its a much better choice in my opinion especially with them thinking about the students and adapting the curriculum to their academy rather than changing the academy to the curriculum.

Role of September. :smile:
Original post by showen1
Had my UCL interview yesterday...it was quite formal for me. The maths test was horrible (then again, they changed my interview date with quite short notice so my revision wasn't the best) so I'm not banking on an offer from them unfortunately

Got my UEL interview on Wednesday and I was just wondering - what kind of educational issues have you guys been bringing up in interviews? I spoke about mental health at UCL, wondering if there are any more interesting topics that you've been speaking about.

Was this primary?

UEL maths test I found really hard so would revise KS2/3 maths for it. Issue I spoke about at both was re-introduction of formal assessment in year 2.
Original post by jodiek28

Yes I think so! The interview was so laid back and informal! I will be doing it soon asap. Just need to know when I'm free :smile:
Original post by purplefish92
Congratulations :smile: what kind of questions did they ask?

Posted from TSR Mobile

They talked about my presentation for about a minute, and said what they were "blown away" :h:

The questions that followed asked about my gap year, and why I decided to take one.
Then they asked me when I had worked in a team before.
And that was it!

I think a lot of their praise was because I dealt with a lot within the past 2 years (21 years old, dad passed away suddenly while I was at university, and it affected my health, so I practically lived in hospital).
They said they were impressed with my motivation and determination.

Just goes to show, don't ever feel like you are at a disadvantage if you have had to take time off uni for illness or anything really. I'm 23 now. healthy, and on route to finish my maths degree in the summer!
Original post by jodiek28

how about you? :smile:
Original post by carolineherts
Well done , that's great news 😊

Thank you! :cute:
Original post by Niyo123
Good!!
I also applied in Reading, but haven't got any invitation yet. How long did they took after applying?
What all happened on the interview day?

The day is quite long (9am until just before 3 for me)

Once you sign in, you are taken to a room where you have to show them your documents (passport etc).
Then, once everyone has checked in (about 25 people), you are shown a 20 minute presentation by the staff members.

Then you get split up, depending on your subject. Then you do your presentations. After this, you have a written assignment (very short, very basic questions) and whilst everyone does this, you get called one by one to do your individual interviews, :smile:

Good luck!
£5 says my Cambridge interview gets rearranged to the date I have my scholarship interview.
I don't think I'm going to be able to sleep tonight, I still have so much more prep to do! :frown:
Original post by ChancedTravels
Was this primary?

UEL maths test I found really hard so would revise KS2/3 maths for it. Issue I spoke about at both was re-introduction of formal assessment in year 2.

Yeah it's for primary. UCL just seemed like such a high standard that I felt a bit alienated.

Ahh okay, thanks for the heads up! I thought the skills test was the only maths I'd have to do but obviously not! Your topic sounds interesting - are you taking that to all 3 interviews?
Original post by Aemiliana
I don't think I'm going to be able to sleep tonight, I still have so much more prep to do! :frown:

It sounds like basic advice but I found it harder to absorb my information the night before my interview, so try and read through as much as you can & then just have a chilled out night!
Has anyone heard from Oxford yet? It has been around 3 weeks since I applied.
Original post by showen1
It sounds like basic advice but I found it harder to absorb my information the night before my interview, so try and read through as much as you can & then just have a chilled out night!

Yeah I'm reading up on some stuff and then I think I'll try to relax. I might print off some Latin past papers to do in the car rather than tonight. I can't change much in the few hours I have left anyway!
Does anyone know how long it takes for your welcome email to come after you've applied? :smile:
Original post by Quirky!
Has anyone heard from Oxford yet? It has been around 3 weeks since I applied.

I got an interview offer over a week ago for 2 weeks today. What subject?
Original post by TunaTunnel
I got an interview offer over a week ago for 2 weeks today. What subject?

Chemistry.
Original post by Quirky!
Chemistry.

Ohhh, mines for physics
Original post by Quirky!
Chemistry.

I'm doing Chemistry.. Had my 3 interviews and accepted one :smile:

Good luck

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending