The Student Room Group

Communication Difficulties Society!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by claireestelle
English is a pretty weird language for spelling, I only struggle with words that don't seem to make sense like definetly
( I can't understand why the vowels go where they do. Although clinically my spelling is "normal" supposedly :tongue:)

My dad works with a lot of people whose first language isn't English. He was trying to explain plurals to them. He was trying to explain that if you have more than one mouse, it's mice, but if you have more than one house, it's houses etc.
Original post by OU Student
My dad works with a lot of people whose first language isn't English. He was trying to explain plurals to them. He was trying to explain that if you have more than one mouse, it's mice, but if you have more than one house, it's houses etc.

I think sheep is one of the worst word, i used to think it was sheeps as a plural. English really doesnt make sense does it:P
I think sheep is one of the worst word, i used to think it was sheeps as a plural. English really doesnt make sense does it:P

I think I read it's meant to be one of the hardest languages to learn.
Original post by CoolCavy
most things :colondollar:
-exams
-speaking in public
-being in public
-doing dance,gym whatever
-teachers watching me
-female teachers
-pretty ppl looking at me
-looking at myself

:redface: that is why i prefer talking online bc noone can see me and it isn't so frustrating to make myself heard :smile:

Aww, Cavy :hugs: Is it like a social anxiety type thing or? But it's great that talking online helps :h:

Original post by emiloujess
I have Aspergers :frown: I really struggle to get my point across sometimes though I'm better at writing it out so my essays tend to be quite strong. I have lots of trouble making and keeping friends because I isolate myself quite a lot. It's something that, if you don't have it or know someone who does, it's quite difficult to understand. It's made my school life very difficult.

Sorry to hear that! Are there any strategies or situations that help?
most things :colondollar:
-exams
-speaking in public
-being in public
-teachers watching me
-pretty ppl looking at me
-looking at myself

:redface: that is why i prefer talking online bc noone can see me and it isn't so frustrating to make myself heard :smile:

Same!!

Original post by BurstingBubbles
Aww, Cavy :hugs: Is it like a social anxiety type thing or? But it's great that talking online helps :h:

Sorry to hear that! Are there any strategies or situations that help?

Being alone, to be frank. Then I don't have to deal with anyone. During the summer I did find a group of people (LYers) around my age who understood far more than I would have thought. I also have low self-esteem and social anxiety so I find the above hard as well. Though that has improved, so Sociology teacher was telling me the other day :s-smilie:
I think I read it's meant to be one of the hardest languages to learn.

that's definitely true:smile:
llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch

That looks as though you've just let a toddler bash the keyboard! :lol: How do you say that?!

I was told two things by a friend of mine:

1 'The meaning of your communication is the response you get' and
2 'There's no failure, only feedback.'
That looks as though you've just let a toddler bash the keyboard! :lol: How do you say that?!

I was told two things by a friend of mine:

I struggle to say the whole word barely anyone can but theres a step by step guide here:
http://llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch.co.uk/say.php
If you want a try:P
how to speak good english quikly?
Original post by jinto felixon
how to speak good english quikly?

It's all about practise :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 70
Do those who experience communication difficulties find communicating online easier? Obviously this will depend if the difficulty if with spoken or written form - thoughts? :smile:

Usually yeah

Posted from TSR Mobile
I AM SO FED UP OF BEING TOLD TO SPEAK MORE CLEARLY :angry:
like why can't you make the effort to shut up and listen rather than me having to do it all the time
I AM SO FED UP OF BEING TOLD TO SPEAK MORE CLEARLY :angry:
like why can't you make the effort to shut up and listen rather than me having to do it all the time

Aww, who's saying that to you? :hugs:
Aww, who's saying that to you? :hugs:

my teachers (one in particualr) said teacher makes such a big deal of it aswell like he cups his/her ear which just makes me more embrassed which makes me slur my words more for god's sake :angry: and then yesterday i had to stand up and say this thing in form time and my friend had to repeat the question cos noone understood what i said but then again they never make the effort to they just say 'can't hear you' or just glare :colonhash:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 74
my teachers (one in particualr) said teacher makes such a big deal of it aswell like he cups his/her ear which just makes me more embrassed which makes me slur my words more for god's sake :angry: and then yesterday i had to stand up and say this thing in form time and my friend had to repeat the question cos noone understood what i said but then again they never make the effort to they just say 'can't hear you' or just glare :colonhash:

:hugs:

If it makes any consolation I had to take drill last night, couldn't even pronounce the orders.:frown:

"Weforming into a pawade of fwee wanks" it took me five minutes to get them to stop laughing after that one:sigh:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 75
Ooo. this looks like a exciting thread. And defiantly something I have issues with!

Some of you might be able to understand my worries about next week.

I've got this presentation, I thought we was just making a powerpoint and submitting it online. Only found out last week when we got given times that we are doing that AND presenting it while being filmed at our given times..

I'm terrified. My speech is bad, like slow, and some words I can't pronounce.

But my voice changes. I have no control over if it's good and can be vaguely normal (speed and words, just volume and high/low issues) or well I can be none verbal If im really scared, worried, anxious, under pressure or something like that. So of course this is something I'm worrying about for the presentation.

There's nothing I can really do about it. I tried talking to the uni disability adviser but it's too late notice (wich there not supposed to do) and my support plan just says 'alternative assessments SHOULD be considered' so if nothing is there is nothing anyone can do.
Just want some kind of understanding, and perhaps some final words of encouragement or advice. Please!
Original post by dipka
Ooo. this looks like a exciting thread. And defiantly something I have issues with!

Some of you might be able to understand my worries about next week.

I've got this presentation, I thought we was just making a powerpoint and submitting it online. Only found out last week when we got given times that we are doing that AND presenting it while being filmed at our given times..

I'm terrified. My speech is bad, like slow, and some words I can't pronounce.

But my voice changes. I have no control over if it's good and can be vaguely normal (speed and words, just volume and high/low issues) or well I can be none verbal If im really scared, worried, anxious, under pressure or something like that. So of course this is something I'm worrying about for the presentation.

There's nothing I can really do about it. I tried talking to the uni disability adviser but it's too late notice (wich there not supposed to do) and my support plan just says 'alternative assessments SHOULD be considered' so if nothing is there is nothing anyone can do.
Just want some kind of understanding, and perhaps some final words of encouragement or advice. Please!

Not sure what to suggest really but try and stay as calm as you can, make sure you've slept/eaten/drunk etc and whatever else you normally do to stay calm. Personally I'd make sure I knew the room it was being held in before and stuff but don't know if that's just me struggling with new places. I'd also try and talk to the lecturer beforehand (not in the day!) about what they might be able to do to help and what could happen if you go mute, email if it's easier than face to face.

For the actual presentation, make sure you have water with you and know it as well as possible. Practice in front of anyone who will listen (friends, family, someone else doing one in return for listening to theirs) so it's not the first time you've done it in front of people. Even film yourself if you want! Ask people how to say anything you're not sure about too and practice saying that, it might be embarrassing to ask but better that than getting it wrong in the presentation and being put off by it. If it would help to go first or last or something then you could ask your lecturer about that too.

Not sure how much that helps, but good luck! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 77
Original post by furryface12
Not sure what to suggest really but try and stay as calm as you can, make sure you've slept/eaten/drunk etc and whatever else you normally do to stay calm. Personally I'd make sure I knew the room it was being held in before and stuff but don't know if that's just me struggling with new places. I'd also try and talk to the lecturer beforehand (not in the day!) about what they might be able to do to help and what could happen if you go mute, email if it's easier than face to face.

For the actual presentation, make sure you have water with you and know it as well as possible. Practice in front of anyone who will listen (friends, family, someone else doing one in return for listening to theirs) so it's not the first time you've done it in front of people. Even film yourself if you want! Ask people how to say anything you're not sure about too and practice saying that, it might be embarrassing to ask but better that than getting it wrong in the presentation and being put off by it. If it would help to go first or last or something then you could ask your lecturer about that too.

Not sure how much that helps, but good luck! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Some of this does help. Thank you!

I just think most of it is a bit late. And the lecture is a bad person as far as understanding and including me have been so far. He always says hes too busy to talk to me and disappears before I get chance to say anything.

I would love to know what room it's in too! But well this lecture does not understand when I ask simple things like what room/when/why to things all the time how important it is that I know before it happens! So i'd get some silly reply or most likely completely ignored. Even with a support worker to talk for me too.

There's also no time to talk to him before the day now, because of the way our timetable is.

That idea about practicing it sounds really good though. I don't really have a clue how to do it other than stand there and just read of the presentation.. I don't know how to 'present' it. Must try and make my mum watch me at some point this weekend. Thank's for the idea! Hopefully will make me less nervous if I've done it before, and then should make my voice better.. it's a bit of a cycle with things all joined together.
Original post by dipka
Some of this does help. Thank you!

I just think most of it is a bit late. And the lecture is a bad person as far as understanding and including me have been so far. He always says hes too busy to talk to me and disappears before I get chance to say anything.

I would love to know what room it's in too! But well this lecture does not understand when I ask simple things like what room/when/why to things all the time how important it is that I know before it happens! So i'd get some silly reply or most likely completely ignored. Even with a support worker to talk for me too.

There's also no time to talk to him before the day now, because of the way our timetable is.

That idea about practicing it sounds really good though. I don't really have a clue how to do it other than stand there and just read of the presentation.. I don't know how to 'present' it. Must try and make my mum watch me at some point this weekend. Thank's for the idea! Hopefully will make me less nervous if I've done it before, and then should make my voice better.. it's a bit of a cycle with things all joined together.

Good! Sorry about the lecturer not being good, I guess you could still try emailing them if you can but doesn't sound like they'll be much help. The room thing would completely freak me out, especially if I was already nervous about something! Yeah do have a go at the practicing thing- even just to yourself in the mirror if no-one else will listen. Being less nervous can only be a good thing particularly with it potentially affecting other things too. Really hope it goes well for you :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 79
]Do you have a communication difficulty or know someone who does?

I am profoundly deaf since about 18 months old. My deafness has made it difficult to effectively communicate (unless it is in sign language) with hearing peers and family members. However, I consider myself lucky because I had speech therapy when I was about nine or ten (maybe younger) up to the age of 16. I can speak well now. My deafness doesn't stop me from communicating with my family and hearing people I know because I use lip reading and are more aware of how to have good communication with them.

What is your experience of this?

Of course online communication is much easier. However I realise that I do love speaking with others face to face (even though I'm awkward). I accept that I am different and show others that I can communicate with them (sadly it is not the same for other deaf people.

What advice/helpful links could you give to others?If you see a deaf person in school, college or university (or else where) if they look lonely in a classroom please try to make an effort with that person. Even if they cannot speak, use pen and paper! Perhaps you can in a group work session if a deaf person is involved. It may seem to be weird that they might have an interpreter with them, but it'd be nice for them to feel inclusive. I've personally experienced isolation throughout education (school, sixth form and uni), and it was one of the most awful experiences ever. In fact I still experience isolation (probably always will in the future).

Quick Reply

Latest