The Student Room Group

Oscar Pistorius found guilty of murder on appeal

Reply 1
The South African judicial system is an absolute farce.
Original post by Swanbow
The South African judicial system is an absolute farce.

How? The charge was appealed and overturned. Due process was done, so how is it farcical?

I always thought he was guilty of murder from what I understood of the case, so frankly I think justice has been done by his manslaughter charge being replaced with a murder one. He'll actually have to spend a fair amount of time in prison now.
Reply 4
Original post by Reluire
How? The charge was appealed and overturned. Due process was done, so how is it farcical?

I always thought he was guilty of murder from what I understood of the case, so frankly I think justice has been done by his manslaughter charge being replaced with a murder one. He'll actually have to spend a fair amount of time in prison now.

''South Africa's Supreme Court of Appeal ruled that the lower court did not correctly apply the rule of dolus eventualis - whether Pistorius knew that a death would be a likely result of his actions.''

This was a massive oversight in the original case. If correctly applied he should have been convicted of murder in the first place, not culpable homicide. If such a high profile case with a competent judge, and good state prosecutor could end up like this, imagine how many more miscarriages of justice are occurring in the South African judicial system.

As a South African I simply don't have faith in the judicial system, which has had little overhaul since the end of Apartheid.
Original post by Swanbow

This was a massive oversight in the original case. If correctly applied he should have been convicted of murder in the first place, not culpable homicide.

Then it was an individual's mistake and the system has corrected it.

Am I the only one who sees irony in a black judge's mistake in exonerating a high profile white criminal being overturned by a white appeal judge?
This is good news.
I don't get it, it took the South African CJS months to reach the manslaughter verdict... but only a week or whatever to reach the verdict of murder through an appeal.

What new evidence did they get?

Did Pistorius admit his guilt?
Reply 8
Good.
I am pleased as I thought he got off too lightly however it does kind of make a mockery of their justice system.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending