The Student Room Group

HM treasury Policy Advisor Grad Scheme

Scroll to see replies

Reply 220
Found the maths relatively straight forward but found the verbal test extremely difficult (usually the other way round).
Reply 221
Would you say the SHL practise test provided was more or less difficult than the real thing? I found the practise test incredibly difficult, only managed to answer about half :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
I've completed the tests - found them ok but always hard to tell as I have done similar ones before and thought they were terrible and passed and done other ones where I thought it was straight forward and I didn't pass

Guess we will all find out next week though.
Original post by Merah
Would you say the SHL practise test provided was more or less difficult than the real thing? I found the practise test incredibly difficult, only managed to answer about half :/

I found the practice one really difficult too - did the real thing yesterday and I think it is a bit less difficult. There are a few more straightforward questions.
Reply 224
I thought the SJT were timed and then I found they weren't. Maybe this is the silliest question in the world but... are the verbal and maths test timed?
Original post by Dus
I thought the SJT were timed and then I found they weren't. Maybe this is the silliest question in the world but... are the verbal and maths test timed?

Yes, you get 25 minutes for 18 questions in the numerical and 19 minutes for 30 questions in the verbal.

You can practice a full test on the SHL website to get a feel for this timing.
Reply 226
Original post by ew296
Yes, you get 25 minutes for 18 questions in the numerical and 19 minutes for 30 questions in the verbal.

You can practice a full test on the SHL website to get a feel for this timing.

Many thanks! I took those yesterday and the maths one was quite disappointing...
Original post by Dus
Many thanks! I took those yesterday and the maths one was quite disappointing...

The Maths practice is a LOT harder than the real thing. The only thing I found difficult about the real thing is the time management. The questions are actually quite staightforward. But a couple involved a lot of adding up and obviously you can't go too quickly because you need to be pretty accurate especially if two answers are close. I ran out of time for the last 3 questions and guessed them all, but if I had the time I would have been able to answer them. I feel confident on the 15 I did answer but I could have sped up on a couple of the really easy ones to make time for the latter questions.
Reply 228
Original post by ew296
The Maths practice is a LOT harder than the real thing. The only thing I found difficult about the real thing is the time management. The questions are actually quite staightforward. But a couple involved a lot of adding up and obviously you can't go too quickly because you need to be pretty accurate especially if two answers are close. I ran out of time for the last 3 questions and guessed them all, but if I had the time I would have been able to answer them. I feel confident on the 15 I did answer but I could have sped up on a couple of the really easy ones to make time for the latter questions.

That's a really good advice, thanks again! I think I'll keep practising and take them on Saturday - hopefully I won't need any technical assistance - because I'm not a native speaker and thus I need to maximise reading efficiency.

Btw, I truly hope you will have passed - it seems so given that it's likely that you answered 15/18 right.
Anyone else experiencing problems with the assessments by CEB ('SHL Talent Measurement'...?) Having problems completing my numeracy and verbal reasoning tests!! Says I've completed when I haven't even started!!
Reply 230
Original post by CalHughes199
Anyone else experiencing problems with the assessments by CEB ('SHL Talent Measurement'...?) Having problems completing my numeracy and verbal reasoning tests!! Says I've completed when I haven't even started!!

Did you manage to sort out your technical problems? I am planning to take them tomorrow morning but there's no technical assistance at the weekend
Reply 231

Yes mine stopped about halfway through completing it :frown: had to call them to sort it out. Did you get it fixed?
I did in the end... I called them up yesterday morning to explain the situation to them. They reset both my tests (which was fine as I hadn't even started the numeracy one) and I had to start again. Anyway all done and submitted now, so fingers crossed!!

I had others problems with it too though, including the 'stopping halfway through' problem you explained. The software doesn't seem too great to be honest. So I assume you've sorted yours now anyway...? :smile:
Reply 233
I did in the end... I called them up yesterday morning to explain the situation to them. They reset both my tests (which was fine as I hadn't even started the numeracy one) and I had to start again. Anyway all done and submitted now, so fingers crossed!!

I had others problems with it too though, including the 'stopping halfway through' problem you explained. The software doesn't seem too great to be honest. So I assume you've sorted yours now anyway...? :smile:

Yeah they reset my verbal test so all done now :smile: I was panicking every time it loaded the next question in case the same thing was about to happen though...
Good luck!
When I done my tests I had a technical error on both tests where during a question the page would reload and I couldn't see the question for a few seconds. It happened multiple times. It wasted a bit of time but I managed to complete both.
Original post by james987
When I done my tests I had a technical error on both tests where during a question the page would reload and I couldn't see the question for a few seconds. It happened multiple times. It wasted a bit of time but I managed to complete both.

I experienced the same thing and it probably did waste a minute of my time in total, but I got to answer all the questions. I wonder when we will hear back. I think it will probably take another week or so.
Original post by Attercop
I experienced the same thing and it probably did waste a minute of my time in total, but I got to answer all the questions. I wonder when we will hear back. I think it will probably take another week or so.

Yeah depends weather they will tell us if we passed the tests or not. There is a cut-off point on the tests where they will reject all applicants, those who passed will have their applications reviewed on a individual basis in order to send AC invites. That part may take a while.
Reply 237
Original post by james987
Yeah depends weather they will tell us if we passed the tests or not. There is a cut-off point on the tests where they will reject all applicants, those who passed will have their applications reviewed on a individual basis in order to send AC invites. That part may take a while.

Surely they'll tell us the results of our tests first? Can't take too long to send out a standard email informing you of your results?
Original post by Smuke
Surely they'll tell us the results of our tests first? Can't take too long to send out a standard email informing you of your results?

You will probably hear soon if you've failed. But if you've passed they need to screen applications properly to decide who to invite to AC. They might tell us we've passed and now will be considered on our app form but I think they will just either reject us or invite us to AC.
Reply 239
i had mine taken care of by legion tutors! through to the next round!!

in case your interested...

https://www.gumtree.com/p/business-services/online-shl-tests/1145597130

Quick Reply

Latest