The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Princepieman
It was good knowing you folks,

Posted from TSR Mobile

Geez you sound like you're on your deathbed! :tongue: Don't worry about it, there are plenty of great unis, and if you are very set on Oxford then you can always apply next year :smile:
Well, finally got my rejection letter. It was good knowing you folks, and I wish you all the best of luck.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh no :-( keep in touch with us all on the Facebook group and let us know where you decide to go. Are you thinking of reapplying?
Original post by BritishBean
Geez you sound like you're on your deathbed! :tongue: Don't worry about it, there are plenty of great unis, and if you are very set on Oxford then you can always apply next year :smile:

LOL, nah, I don't actually care that much. Just wanted to be as melodramatic as possible :') Thanks for the reassurance though!

Original post by Aquaxo
Oh no :-( keep in touch with us all on the Facebook group and let us know where you decide to go. Are you thinking of reapplying?

Definitely! I'll still be around the FB group just to see how everyone's fairing. I might! It'd be the only place I re-apply to, but yeah, I can see myself giving it another bash.
Definitely! I'll still be around the FB group just to see how everyone's fairing. I might! It'd be the only place I re-apply to, but yeah, I can see myself giving it another bash.

Awesome. Gap year looking possible then?
LOL, nah, I don't actually care that much. Just wanted to be as melodramatic as possible :':wink: Thanks for the reassurance though!

What college/course were you applying for? And where else have you applied?
What college/course were you applying for? And where else have you applied?

I applied to St Anne's for Computer Science.

Also applied to:
UCL - Maths and Computer Science (offer), Warwick - Data Science (offer)
Nottingham - Data Science (offer)
Bristol - Maths and Computer Science (pending)

What about yourself?
Anybody else got an interview for Oriental studies? (Arabic).
I applied to St Anne's for Computer Science.

Also applied to:
UCL - Maths and Computer Science (offer), Warwick - Data Science (offer)
Nottingham - Data Science (offer)
Bristol - Maths and Computer Science (pending)

What about yourself?

Dude you've got a smashing line up there! Well done on those offers, great unis :smile: If you do decide to go to uni in September, do you known which you would pick?

I've applied for Biological Sciences at New college, also at Durham, Bristol, Nottingham, and UEA.
Dude you've got a smashing line up there! Well done on those offers, great unis :smile: If you do decide to go to uni in September, do you known which you would pick?

I've applied for Biological Sciences at New college, also at Durham, Bristol, Nottingham, and UEA.

Thanks man!

It's between UCL and Warwick for the most part. I'm leaning towards Warwick because of the expense attached to living in London, but I'll finalise my decision after I've been to both. My insurance would hopefully be Bristol, if not, Nottingham.

Ey, solid choices! I'll flip the question on you, which would be your top 2 choices?
Thanks man!

It's between UCL and Warwick for the most part. I'm leaning towards Warwick because of the expense attached to living in London, but I'll finalise my decision after I've been to both. My insurance would hopefully be Bristol, if not, Nottingham.

Ey, solid choices! I'll flip the question on you, which would be your top 2 choices?

Aside from Ox, I am a bit stuck between the rest. UEA is probably my favourite, but part of me feels like I would really enjoy Durham too. Although it is very far away!
Well, finally got my rejection letter. It was good knowing you folks, and I wish you all the best of luck.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm sorry to hear this :frown: Congrats on your other offers though!
Original post by antigone-
I'm sorry to hear this :frown: Congrats on your other offers though!

Haha, it's fine! Thanks so much, and I wish you the absolute best of luck with your interview. :smile:
Aside from Ox, I am a bit stuck between the rest. UEA is probably my favourite, but part of me feels like I would really enjoy Durham too. Although it is very far away!

Far?! All my choices are 7+ hours away by train hahaha. The struggles of living near the top of Scotland.

Well, they're all great unis so whichever one (including Ox) you end up at, I'm sure you'll have a blast!
Far?! All my choices are 7+ hours away by train hahaha. The struggles of living near the top of Scotland.

Well, they're all great unis so whichever one (including Ox) you end up at, I'm sure you'll have a blast!

Haha ouch! Mine vary, UEA is a 1 hour drive away in me car, Durham is about 4 hours.

Thanks, same to you!
I just got called for interview at Merton for maths. The email came at 11.03 and the interviews are from the 13th - 16th December.
Has anyone heard from Wadham for experimental psychology? I'm starting to get worried....
Reply 8916
I got an interview for medicine from teddy hall and corpus Christ on Tuesday, and you know on the email it says that I will be contacted by my college shortly regarding the arrangements, I haven't gotten an email yet and I am starting to get worried 😳 Is anyone else in this position or am I worrying for no reason?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by abbiemca_
Hey, anyone at Merton 15th-16th? or for chemistry at all? :smile:

Yeah, I'm at Merton for maths 13th - 16th.
Guys! I've got the physics interview at Exeter. I think they are sending email to the physics applicants now, so NO PANIC if you haven't got one. :biggrin::biggrin:
(edited 8 years ago)
I was wondering if anyone could give me their opinion? I dont really know what to think about what's happened.

I applied to study English, having obtained AAAAAB at AS Level, and was predicted A* A* A* A A at A2 (one of those As is general studies) My GCSEs were all A*s and As too, and my submitted written work was worth full marks ( as was my other piece which I could have sent)

Naturally, my teachers were really optimistic for my chances- the only blip in my application being that I resat year 12 after some pretty horrendous extenuating circumstances that included, but was not limited to, family death, the extremely bitter and aggressive divorce of my parents, and my own struggles with serious health problems that affected my sleep, concentration and memory (down to the point where I couldn't remember the content of a page after reading it)
My first time at year 12 I got an A in general studies, a C in maths, Ds in Biology and Chemistry and a B in Art. At the time I wasnt applying for English, but something more science based, because my parents had pressured me in that direction- I come from a family of doctors.
As part of resitting, I decided to switch Art for English Literature (which I'd always loved, but hadnt thought matched with what I intended to study at the time) and after just one lesson, I was reminded of how much I loved it, and decided that I wanted to apply for that instead.
My English teacher said I should apply for Oxford, but I wasnt sure about their policy on resits, so I emailed that and recieved a reply saying

"You would be welcome to make an application when applying under the below circumstances, we would very strongly recommend that your references mention these in their reference, but also that your academic projection would be on track for the entrance requirements. To ensure that you application was strong in the other areas, you would still be required to have achieved (or predicted) AAA, one of these subjects should be English Literature or the combined English Language and Literature subject."

I went on to achieved As in all my subjects the second time round, which is a truer representation of what I can do, seeing as my health problem had been sorted by the time I went back to year 12 in September. I was thrilled, as you can imagine.

I received a pre-interview rejection from Oxford, on Saturday the 28th of November. On Monday the 30th, I managed to get in contact with the Admissions office, and was told that they were reconsidering my application because of the information I'd sent when I originally asked them about resits, and that they would get back to me either that afternoon, or Tuesday morning. Wednesday came and I'd still not heard anything, so I rang them on wednesday evening, only to find that they had yet to contact the English Department- so my application had not been considered yet. This morning, I was told that the English Department had recommended my rejection not be changed, and they refused to tell me any more in the way of feedback. I'm feeling really mucked about, and rather humiliated, because I dont get the feeling my application was ever really reconsidered, given the quick turn around from Wednesday to Thursday. They have told me I can wait for feedback in January, but if I have any more concerns (given they've already messed up my application once) January will be too late to do anything about them.

None of my teachers can think of any reason that my application would stand out for rejection, especially before interview, and I'm really confused as to what's happened. If anyone could give their opinion I would be really grateful.

Latest

Trending

Trending