The Student Room Group
The reception
Heriot-Watt University
Visit website

Heriot-Watt 2016 Applicants - Ask us anything!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Heriot-Watt University
Hi guys

I know a lot of you are making your mind up right now about 2016 UCAS applications, so here's a chance for you to ask any questions you might have about Heriot-Watt.
From student life to accommodation or great things about Edinburgh we'll try and come back to you with useful advice so fire away!
Cheers

Heriot-Watt Student Room Team (Keir, Sophie and Carole):dancing2:

Hi
I just received a subsidiary offer and i am looking to book an applicant day. However it is asking me to log in to My HWU. How do i create an account or as an applicant will i already have an account. Or am i just missing an obvious link!

Thanks
Rhys
The reception
Heriot-Watt University
Visit website
Hi arch0wnz,

The Chem Eng admissions tutor is considering all applicants as we speak. As it is our most popular course for applications at UG level I think the department might wait till the 15th of January deadline so they can give everyone a fair chance.

Hang tight and we will get back to you.

Good luck,
Keir :smile:

Thank you!

I just thought they might not give me an offer which is why I asked haha

Posted from TSR Mobile
Awesome, thanks for your reply!
Original post by arch0wnz
Thank you!

I just thought they might not give me an offer which is why I asked haha

Posted from TSR Mobile

Fingers crossed for you! :crossedf: Good luck!

Keir
Original post by RhysWilliams
Hi
I just received a subsidiary offer and i am looking to book an applicant day. However it is asking me to log in to My HWU. How do i create an account or as an applicant will i already have an account. Or am i just missing an obvious link!

Thanks
Rhys

Hi Rhys,

Congrats on your offer! Strange one to be honest, when you are made an offer you should receive an email with details on there about My HWU. Apologies if this hasn't happened yet... there have been a few gremlins in the system this year so some applicants where missed out. To investigate further I will need some more of your details. Can you drop me a private message with your email address and I will search for you and see what is going on?

With regard to Applicants Visit Days you will be able to book on to them when booking goes live. We are planning to get booking live on the UCAS Deadline Day (15th of January)

Cheers,
Keir
Hi,

How competitive is entry to BSc Computer Science? Are there likely to be clearing places available for Scottish students? I realise it's probably premature to ask about clearing, but I understand the rules about places are different between Scotland and RUK and I'm trying to evaluate different options as my situation is complicated/unusual.

Thanks in advance,
Mhari
Original post by ForensicKetchup
Hi,

How competitive is entry to BSc Computer Science? Are there likely to be clearing places available for Scottish students? I realise it's probably premature to ask about clearing, but I understand the rules about places are different between Scotland and RUK and I'm trying to evaluate different options as my situation is complicated/unusual.

Thanks in advance,
Mhari

Hi Mhari,

Computer Science can be competitive but if you are well qualified we will certainly make you an offer.

Clearing is always a bit complicated to be honest. We were in clearing last year for extra Scottish places that we where given by the government. These places were set aside for wider access students (students who resided in the 40% most deprived areas in Scotland).

For 2016 entry we don't know whether we will be in clearing or not. We need to find out how many people accept offers from us, then we need to see how our students do in their Highers and Adv Highers. Only then will we know if we will have have any extra places for clearing.

Sorry for the long and rather vague response but it is a complex system. If you would like to discus your complicated situation please free to private message me and I may be able to give you more guided advice :smile:

Hope this has helped.
Cheers,
Keir
Reply 27
Hi, I recently applied for Computer Science and was wondering how long it roughly takes to hear back?

Thanks in advance.
Original post by ejca
Hi, I recently applied for Computer Science and was wondering how long it roughly takes to hear back?

Thanks in advance.

Hi ejca,

I know the Comp Sci department here at HWU have started looking at their applications so they will be considering you as we speak. There is no 'set time' for us to get back to applicants, we like to consider each application on its individual merit. If you don't hear back soon don't panic it just means we are having a close look at your application.

Good luck and feel free to ask us anything if you want more information.

Cheers,
Keir
Reply 29
Thanks for the fast reply!

Ahh that is great news, I only applied on the 1st however, so I'm not expecting to hear back soon but I just wanted some sort of timescale!

Nervous as I have just the asked requirements, slightly more if they include Advanced Highers towards the requirements.
Fingers crossed!

Thanks again
Original post by ejca
Thanks for the fast reply!

Ahh that is great news, I only applied on the 1st however, so I'm not expecting to hear back soon but I just wanted some sort of timescale!

Nervous as I have just the asked requirements, slightly more if they include Advanced Highers towards the requirements.
Fingers crossed!

Thanks again

Don't panic too much and hopefully we will be back to you soon.

:crossedf:Good luck:crossedf:

Keir
Hi

I'm just wondering if you are applying for a course and you are repeating a year in school would an applicant be expected to achieve a higher grade entry then other applicants?

Hi Keir,

Thanks for getting back to me. I have sent you a PM.

Thanks. :smile:

Mhari
Hi,
I'm applying here and I would like to ask, how diverse is this university? I'm Nigerian so I would like to be well informed beore attending.
Original post by mariat88775
Hi

I'm just wondering if you are applying for a course and you are repeating a year in school would an applicant be expected to achieve a higher grade entry then other applicants?

Hi mariat88775,

Good question, it really depends on circumstances for repeating a year, what course you want to study and how competitive that course is. For example if you are doing A levels and you are applying to a really competitive course you may be asked to get ABB instead of BBB so we know you are a competitive student.

The best rule of thumb would be to shoot for the best you can get and make your personal statement as good as possible.

Hope this has helped.
Cheers,
Keir
Hi bisolaxo,

Great to hear that you're applying to Heriot-Watt! :h:

About one third of our students are international, with 3% of students (about 120 people) on our Scottish Campuses coming from Nigeria. Please have a look on the Nigeria country page on our website. I have just added three profiles of recent Nigerian graduates that you may find interesting.

We were ranked in the world's top ten for our proportion of international students by the QS World's University Rankings 2015/16.

Donna Gall, our International Recruitment Officer for Africa would be happy to speak to you if you would like to have a chat. She can be reached at [email protected] or on +44 (0)131 451 3770.

Let me know if you have any more questions and good luck with your application!

Carole :thumbsup:

Original post by bisolaxo
Hi,
I'm applying here and I would like to ask, how diverse is this university? I'm Nigerian so I would like to be well informed beore attending.
Hi bisolaxo,

Great to hear that you're applying to Heriot-Watt! :h:

About one third of our students are international, with 3% of students (about 120 people) on our Scottish Campuses coming from Nigeria. Please have a look on the Nigeria country page on our website. I have just added three profiles of recent Nigerian graduates that you may find interesting.

We were ranked in the world's top ten for our proportion of international students by the QS World's University Rankings 2015/16.

Donna Gall, our International Recruitment Officer for Africa would be happy to speak to you if you would like to have a chat. She can be reached at [email protected] or on +44 (0)131 451 3770.

Let me know if you have any more questions and good luck with your application!

Carole :thumbsup:

I'm actually irish but (nigerian) but thats great! Thanks for the info :smile:
I applied for computing systems I got ABB in my as in applied ict health and social care and religion. What's the chances I'll receive an offer?:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by shaunaskelton
I applied for computing systems I got ABB in my as in applied ict health and social care and religion. What's the chances I'll receive an offer?:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi Shauna,

Nothing is ever certain but if you are on course for similar results in your A2 you are in with a good chance. Our minimum entry requirements are BBB at A Level so if you are exceeding this that is excellent!

Good luck! :crossedf:

Cheers,
Keir :smile:
Thank you! Do you know when they are giving offers out or if studying applied subjects leave me at a disadvantage?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest