The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Gob Bluth
Sturridge showed yesterday why selling him is madness. He's had 12 months of disastrous fitness, but keeping faith and see him even with 3 months of quality like that is worth it in the long run. You don't sell your best players unless there is 3 or 4 seasons of playing single figure amount of games in each season of which it is then something to consider.

It's easy to be enamoured with him after scoring a brace, but I do agree. He is pivotal to our success - and he would be to any team. People forget he's our best striker in terms of goals-to-game ratio. He has the best scoring rate of any Liverpool striker in history. Any.

That said, you can't ignore the fact that this is his tenth season as a senior professional and he has only started about 90 games in that time. He has still missed as many Liverpool games since signing for us as he's started.
Original post by Mackay
Third choice behind Sturridge, and then a false nine, presumably? I don't think anybody seriously suggests Origi is ahead of him in the pecking order, do they?

Benteke will really struggle to ever get ahead of Sturridge in the pecking order, regardless of fee. Sturridge's style suits Klopp all the more (you can tell how impressed and enamoured Klopp was with Sturridge's ability post-match) and he is a typical number nine who wins football matches.

A number 9 is so crucial, and we have seen that to varying degrees this year. Man United won the 2012-13 title because of RVP, and if you put a number nine who could regularly dispatch goals in their side now, you wouldn't be hearing the dissent that we are currently from the United fans.

Uniteds problems do not stem from the striker situation. It stems from the build up play of the central midfield, it has been a recurrent problem under moyes and lvg, lvg initially changed the style but then he soon found out you couldn't rely on phil jones and marcos rojo in the centre of defence.

Their issues is that they play too slow and the creative players are not good enough to make up for the fact that they face an organised defence every game.

Martial shows the general attributes needed but if there is a bus or movement is poor (like Lucio on pro clubs) what the hell can the striker do?

Rooney still terrible but under fergie he'd defo be getting more goals simply due to the speed of Uniteds attacks.
Them silent shots
Original post by Dirtybit
Them silent shots

Man used a silencer. :007: #RIPLucinda
He just wants a response.
Didn't even put the ú in my name :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Lúcio
He just wants a response.
Didn't even put the ú in my name :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I still can't type your correct username lololol
Can't believe the available odds on you beating Newcastle...better than 6/10...60%+ profit....it seems too good to be true...
Original post by Dirtybit
I still can't type your correct username lololol

Alt + 163 = ú :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Mackay
Third choice behind Sturridge, and then a false nine, presumably? I don't think anybody seriously suggests Origi is ahead of him in the pecking order, do they?

Benteke will really struggle to ever get ahead of Sturridge in the pecking order, regardless of fee. Sturridge's style suits Klopp all the more (you can tell how impressed and enamoured Klopp was with Sturridge's ability post-match) and he is a typical number nine who wins football matches.

A number 9 is so crucial, and we have seen that to varying degrees this year. Man United won the 2012-13 title because of RVP, and if you put a number nine who could regularly dispatch goals in their side now, you wouldn't be hearing the dissent that we are currently from the United fans.

Yeah, Sturridge Firmino Benteke is the order, for as long as Milner and Lallana keep up their levels of play.

I'm glad Klopp has got a lot out of Lallana, he was a damned good player for Soton and I was chuffed when we signed him.

Benteke is a magnificent plan B though and he'll prove his worth. Fellaini, Bony, Walcott, Remy are the second choice strikers of our competitors and we probably have the best of the lot. To be honest, apart from at GK, we match our competitors in most positions, barring Arsenal and City's attacking midfield, and Aguero.
Original post by joey11223
Can't believe the available odds on you beating Newcastle...better than 6/10...60%+ profit....it seems too good to be true...

Seems a game we should steam roller, obviously, especially with Newcastle in disarray.
Original post by Pimped Butterfly
Yeah, Sturridge Firmino Benteke is the order, for as long as Milner and Lallana keep up their levels of play.

I'm glad Klopp has got a lot out of Lallana, he was a damned good player for Soton and I was chuffed when we signed him.

Benteke is a magnificent plan B though and he'll prove his worth. Fellaini, Bony, Walcott, Remy are the second choice strikers of our competitors and we probably have the best of the lot. To be honest, apart from at GK, we match our competitors in most positions, barring Arsenal and City's attacking midfield, and Aguero.

Agreed with the top point.

Lallana has always been on the cusp of one of those performances last night. Sadly, he often seems a yard too slow, or a few pounds too light, to really stamp his authority on a game. I'm so glad he managed to soak up that pressure last night.

His performance was symptomatic of the confidence Klopp has given the players. The whole club seems buzzing, and confidence is rife. You see the smiles on the training pitch, the bond he has with the players, and it's so refreshing after such a malignantly disappointing campaign last year.

The big question is whether he can replicate the form at home, like you said. I think Klopp using two up top last night so overtly was a way of figuring out how we can break the door down against bottom-half PL sides and the runt of the litter at Anfield.

We've seen we can counter-attack expertly, at Chelsea, City and last night, but the issue is when teams sit in and soak up pressure frustrating us.
Original post by Mackay
I think Klopp using two up top last night so overtly was a way of figuring out how we can break the door down against bottom-half PL sides and the runt of the litter at Anfield.

He never really had the option of two up top at Dortmund but he's got Benteke and Sturridge as an excellent frontline duo here.

-------Benteke-------- Sturridge
----------Firmino/Coutinho
Coutinho/Can---- Henderson/Milner
----------------Lucas----------
He never really had the option of two up top at Dortmund but he's got Benteke and Sturridge as an excellent frontline duo here.

-------Benteke-------- Sturridge
----------Firmino/Coutinho
Coutinho/Can---- Henderson/Milner
----------------Lucas----------

Christ, the strength in depth.

That bench last night was mouth-watering, and you've even got players like Lallana, a returning Ings, and Ibe (who seems to be in love with Klopp and the new regime) nowhere near that best XI but ready to come in and do a job.
Original post by Lúcio
Alt + 163 = ú :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Or just Alt Gr + u :smile:
Before
Original post by Alex5133
He seems like he should be really good at certain things but he just....isn't.
He's so average in every department, and at this level that'll do nothing for you.

Original post by The.Joker
He reminds me of N'Gog.

But to think we spent £10 million on him is crazy.

Original post by Lúcio
Origi is bloody awful up front.

Original post by Mackay
Nobody is willing to grab the game by the scruff of the neck. Nobody is expansive, inventive, probing. It's all too easy to see how Origi was voted in the worst Ligue I XI for last year. He does a lot of things very well, but that lack of composure in the final third is remarkable for a professional footballer. He reminds me a lot of Ngog, in truth, but even Ngog scored from ten yards or less. Origi just doesn't seem able to. Considering his age, and his background, it's remarkable that Martial boasts such a composure and cool-headedness in front of goal when Origi can't seem to do anything other than shake. He has decent attributes, but you can't teach a cutting edge or clinical eye.

After
I really enjoyed that second half, great for Origi to get that hat trick!

Original post by Mackay
As for Origi... well, what a transformation. The man looked poor against Carlisle and Bournemouth in the cup earlier this year, but tonight he seems to have taken on a new lease of life with his second goal being absolutely perfect. What a strike. Smith delivered the third on a sixpence for him to tuck away

Original post by Lúcio
Origi!!!4th striker though :wink:What a finish lad! Really happy to see him score.

Raheem Sterling went from being our worst player to a £49m asset in 18 months. I don't know Origi's game inside out like I knew Sterling's, but we all know enough to say that he's a very good player for his age. You and the rest of the ***** writing him off earlier in the season need to apply context and use some patience.

Let young players be young players, and support them through their rough patches.
Before

Original post by Lucio

1) Courtois, DDG
-
2) Lloris, Cech
-
-
-
3) Mignolet, Hart

After

Original post by Lúcio
Mignolet just won't cut it. No fan wants to have so little confidence in their keeper.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Exposed so bad.
I like Mignolet, always saw him as a decent goalkeeper. Origi can only get better.
Wait a minute. Are opinions on footballers not allowed to change?
Sorry guys, I don't think anybody knew the rules...

Origi has been absolutely useless bar the last game. We all knew he had potential but criticising people for not being optimistic about him is textbook SUG.

Mignolet is one of the most inconsistent form players I've ever seen. Of course opinion is gonna change over time depending on how he's playing, but in the long run I don't think anybody has truly believed he could be our permanent keeper.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
we all know enough to say that he's a very good player for his age. You and the rest of the ***** writing him off earlier in the season need to apply context and use some patience.

Let young players be young players, and support them through their rough patches.

I agree completely with the last part, but we weren't seeing evidence of him being a good player for his age earlier this season. In my post I clarified by saying he did a lot of things well, and I said he had a lot of decent attributes, but he needed a performance like the one at St. Mary's to truly arrive and teach us all that we had something on our hands that we could work with.

So, in terms of 'writing him off', I can't see how I did that.

Latest