The Student Room Group

Glasgow Medical School Applicants 2016 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Giuit92
Very similar situation here - 2:1 Neuroscience degree from Glasgow, 662.5 band 2 UKCAT. Not the best score but got an interview for Aberdeen so was quietly hoping it would be enough for Glasgow as well. Also have an interview at Leicester, can't shake the feeling that 2 interviews aren't good enough odds for an offer :frown:

Two interviews is incredible, well done! Maybe we crossed paths at Glasgow before?! Its such a joke, where did I honestly go wrong, people with lower UKCATS got interviews?! Ach, not much you can do. I'm sure you will get in somewhere dont worry! Have you had your Aberdeen one?
Reply 501
Original post by searchingsazza
Can I ask your UKCAT score this year?
I get the sense that even though Glasgow said they take all aspects into consideration they have really just ranked UKCAT scores, as they did in previous years. Otherwise, how could the person with a job as a nursing aux and a first class degree not get an interview...

I get the feeling they rank all applications on grades and PS to ensure they meet entry requirements, and then work their way down giving interviews from the highest UKCAT scores until they've given out a pre-set number. Otherwise it doesn't make much sense
Original post by Giuit92
I get the feeling they rank all applications on grades and PS to ensure they meet entry requirements, and then work their way down giving interviews from the highest UKCAT scores until they've given out a pre-set number. Otherwise it doesn't make much sense

While a couple of the posts refer to lower UKCAT scores, these may well be contextual applicants. Most who got interviews seem to have UKCAT scores of about 680.
Reply 503
Original post by clairebear6
Two interviews is incredible, well done! Maybe we crossed paths at Glasgow before?! Its such a joke, where did I honestly go wrong, people with lower UKCATS got interviews?! Ach, not much you can do. I'm sure you will get in somewhere dont worry! Have you had your Aberdeen one?

I thought most people got at least 2 interviews? If not I feel bad complaining about it now :frown: it's my second time applying, first time I didn't get any at all so guess it could be worse - just feel that after trying so hard you'd expect to do better!
Both my interviews are in January, so a bit nervous. How was your Aberdeen one?

And yeah we probably did cross paths at uni! I was class of 2014 though, so maybe it was after your time?
Original post by Giuit92

I got my interview a week after my friend, despite having a UKCAT score 100 above his. I have 2930 and people in my school with 2600 who got interview invite before me. So your theory is wrong (at least in part). I think it has something to do with alphabetical order somehow.
I have a first class in Pharmacology from Glasgow, 665 UKCAT band 1 and what i thought was a really good personal statement and reference. I have a full time job as a nursing auxillary but maybe it was my PS? No idea. I had an interview for Aberdeen which I think went well but not heard from anywhere else.

That does sound perfect so I'm really not sure what it could be! I'm starting a full time job as a nursing auxiliary next week. Do you enjoy working as one? I'm quite nervous. I'm sure you did great, hope you get an offer.
Original post by searchingsazza
Can I ask your UKCAT score this year?
I get the sense that even though Glasgow said they take all aspects into consideration they have really just ranked UKCAT scores, as they did in previous years. Otherwise, how could the person with a job as a nursing aux and a first class degree not get an interview...

It was 702.5 and a band 2
Are they really not sending interviews out anymore????
Reply 508
Original post by euansmyth
I got my interview a week after my friend, despite having a UKCAT score 100 above his. I have 2930 and people in my school with 2600 who got interview invite before me. So your theory is wrong (at least in part). I think it has something to do with alphabetical order somehow.

I'm at a loss then :frown: alphabetical would actually make sense in my case (start with U) but it would seem a bit illogical as potentially people may miss out to some degree based on their initials? Oh well, not much point trying to understand. Best of luck to you and your friend with your interviews!
Reply 509
they said there may be a couple interviews in February for international students but thats it. so if you are international you may still have a chance :smile:

so they r going to interview international in Feb not in Dec?
Original post by Giuit92
Very similar situation here - 2:1 Neuroscience degree from Glasgow, 662.5 band 2 UKCAT. Not the best score but got an interview for Aberdeen so was quietly hoping it would be enough for Glasgow as well. Also have an interview at Leicester, can't shake the feeling that 2 interviews aren't good enough odds for an offer :frown:

Similar again here - predicted a 1st this year from Glasgow, 660 band 2 UKCAT, and interview at Aberdeen. I feel as though this would have been enough last year but the UKCAT scores seem a lot higher this year. Gutted if there's really no more interviews, but i still have my fingers crossed for Dundee i guess!
Reply 511
Original post by medbot123
Similar again here - predicted a 1st this year from Glasgow, 660 band 2 UKCAT, and interview at Aberdeen. I feel as though this would have been enough last year but the UKCAT scores seem a lot higher this year. Gutted if there's really no more interviews, but i still have my fingers crossed for Dundee i guess!

I'm sure someone was saying people got interviews with UKCAT scores lower than ours, but maybe they have higher cut off for graduates? I seriously don't understand. I'm still waiting for Dundee as well, fingers crossed on that one!
Original post by Giuit92
I'm sure someone was saying people got interviews with UKCAT scores lower than ours, but maybe they have higher cut off for graduates? I seriously don't understand. I'm still waiting for Dundee as well, fingers crossed on that one!

I really have no clue, maybe a limited number of grad places so they had to be more strict? I knew my UKCAT score would come back to bite me though!
What date is your Aberdeen interview?
Reply 513
I really have no clue, maybe a limited number of grad places so they had to be more strict? I knew my UKCAT score would come back to bite me though!
What date is your Aberdeen interview?

Possibly, I guess we're pretty outnumbered by school leavers - oh well. There's always next year if our other interviews don't work out. My Leicester one is on Jan 12th, and Aberdeen is Jan 18th. You?
Original post by Giuit92
Possibly, I guess we're pretty outnumbered by school leavers - oh well. There's always next year if our other interviews don't work out. My Leicester one is on Jan 12th, and Aberdeen is Jan 18th. You?

As far as i thought, grad entry is four years and school leaver is five years, so you would be going into second year so I would have thought you're compared to us but not competing with us? But i dont know much about it tbh aha

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by cranspice
As far as i thought, grad entry is four years and school leaver is five years, so you would be going into second year so I would have thought you're compared to us but not competing with us? But i dont know much about it tbh aha

Posted from TSR Mobile

Graduates have to do all 5 years in Scotland unfortunately :frown: Straight back to first year!
Original post by Giuit92

True, i'd just love to get in somewhere this year!
Aberdeen on the 19th Jan.
Original post by hollyt93
Graduates have to do all 5 years in Scotland unfortunately :frown: Straight back to first year!

Oh I didnt know that! That sucks 😔

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 518
True, i'd just love to get in somewhere this year!
Aberdeen on the 19th Jan.

Best of luck to both of us then! Have you got interviews anywhere else?
Original post by Giuit92
Best of luck to both of us then! Have you got interviews anywhere else?

Yes, fingers crossed!
Unfortunately not, that's why i've not lost hope with Dundee haha

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending