The Student Room Group

Homeschool AS Level?!

Hello,

I currently go to college (first year) and I'm studying History, English Literature, IT and English Language. I desperately want to drop English Literature and pick up Business (as I want to do an IT and Business degree) but my it's too late for my college to allow me to do that.

Should I continue studying 3 AS Levels at college and do one at home? I've found a website - a few, actually - that provide you with online lessons, a personal tutor to mark assignments for each topic, textbooks and resources. I'd then enter as a private candidate at an exam centre. I could take the Business AS in either June or November, depending on when I feel I am ready to do it.

Please - is it possible to do this? I can feel myself failing English Literature. I got an A* at GCSE because I enjoyed it. But doing it at A Level is ****ing horrific. Any advice would be very much appreciated.
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you’ve posted in the right place? Posting in the specific Study Help forum should help get responses. :redface:

I'm going to quote in Tank Girl now so she can move your thread to the right place if it's needed. :h: :yy:

Spoiler

Reply 2
Can anyone offer any advice? :frown:
Original post by celloel
Hello,

I currently go to college (first year) and I'm studying History, English Literature, IT and English Language. I desperately want to drop English Literature and pick up Business (as I want to do an IT and Business degree) but my it's too late for my college to allow me to do that.

Should I continue studying 3 AS Levels at college and do one at home? I've found a website - a few, actually - that provide you with online lessons, a personal tutor to mark assignments for each topic, textbooks and resources. I'd then enter as a private candidate at an exam centre. I could take the Business AS in either June or November, depending on when I feel I am ready to do it.

Please - is it possible to do this? I can feel myself failing English Literature. I got an A* at GCSE because I enjoyed it. But doing it at A Level is ****ing horrific. Any advice would be very much appreciated.

You definitely could do that if that's what you want. you'll have to put the work in but I don't see why this isn't possible. I self taught an AS whilst redoing my A2s and I managed a B :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by cherryred90s
You definitely could do that if that's what you want. you'll have to put the work in but I don't see why this isn't possible. I self taught an AS whilst redoing my A2s and I managed a B :smile:

Do you mind me asking what AS you did? Also, what resources you used and how much you spent per week on the subject?

:biggrin:
Original post by celloel
Do you mind me asking what AS you did? Also, what resources you used and how much you spent per week on the subject?

:biggrin:

I did AS law and bought a couple textbooks online and used my friends notes :smile: was pretty straightforward. I started revising properly around Feb and I did a couple hours revision for it every other day
Original post by celloel
Hello,

hey i am in the same position as you. i would go for it because like me i am not happy with psychology and want to take history and me being not happy is not motivating me . quick question how do you find history and what exam board do you do.
quick tip: most exam centres tend to not offer coursework so they won't send the coursework for you , so check that business does not require coursework or that the exam centre can authenticate your coursework .
hope this helped.
Original post by lovegossip

hey i am in the same position as you. i would go for it because like me i am not happy with psychology and want to take history and me being not happy is not motivating me . quick question how do you find history and what exam board do you do. also what websites give online courses. thanks.
quick tip: most exam centres tend to not offer coursework so they won't send the coursework for you , so check that business does not require coursework or that the exam centre can authenticate your coursework .
hope this helped.
Reply 8
so check that business does not require coursework

Business does not have coursework.
Original post by Compost
Business does not have coursework.

thats great then
Reply 10
hey i am in the same position as you. i would go for it because like me i am not happy with psychology and want to take history and me being not happy is not motivating me . quick question how do you find history and what exam board do you do.
hope this helped.

I do AQA History. There's no coursework for Business AS (nor History AS, for that matter) but there are coursework components at A Level (for History).

The breadth module I'm doing is Industrialisation and the People: Britain, 1783-1885 and the depth module I'm doing is the Cold War. I love essay writing and I'm honestly finding the course to be incredibly interesting. I absolutely adore History, it's been something I've loved since I was younger, so it's fairly easy for me to enjoy studying it! (Industrialisation can be a bit tedious from time to time, though...)
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by celloel
I do AQA History. There's no coursework for Business AS (nor History AS, for that matter) but there are coursework components at A Level (for both subjects).

There isn't any coursework for A2 Business (don't know about Applied Business). If you take History A level with CCEA there is no coursework at A2.
Reply 12
Original post by Compost
There isn't any coursework for A2 Business (don't know about Applied Business). If you take History A level with CCEA there is no coursework at A2.

I meant within the specifications I am looking at doing, as I mentioned above. AQA has coursework for the A Level for History and Business.
Original post by celloel
I meant within the specifications I am looking at doing, as I mentioned above. AQA has coursework for the A Level for History and Business.

There is NO coursework in AQA Business.

Quick Reply

Latest