The Student Room Group

PGCE Applications 2016

Scroll to see replies

I'm getting marks in the 50's when doing practice numeracy test. I have my test in a couple of weeks and I am getting worried I'm going to fail. Can anyone at all offer me tips, help, or whatever? Was anyone in the same boat as me but managed to pass?

Posted from TSR Mobile
How do you accept an offer on track? I only have two choices, substitute or return to choices.
Original post by purplefish92
well done for getting through all that and getting to where you want to be :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you! :h:
Whattt?! Primary pgce is filled up?! I had my interview today and the lady said she will give me a conditional offer, but I will just have to pass my applicant day.

Is it only certain unis that are closed for primary?!
Original post by jimbles
I'm getting marks in the 50's when doing practice numeracy test. I have my test in a couple of weeks and I am getting worried I'm going to fail. Can anyone at all offer me tips, help, or whatever? Was anyone in the same boat as me but managed to pass?

Posted from TSR Mobile

The YouTube videos are really helpful. Try printing out tests and doing them slowly getting your technique right and then speed up when you know what you're doing
Original post by jimbles

Posted from TSR Mobile

A lot of people have said that the practice exams are harder than the real ones :smile:
Original post by NeedToRevise
Whattt?! Primary pgce is filled up?! I had my interview today and the lady said she will give me a conditional offer, but I will just have to pass my applicant day.

Is it only certain unis that are closed for primary?!

I rang UCAs to check and they said 75% of places have been filled, and it's up to universities how they proceed with the final 25% (and tbh ucas seemed a bit confused about what the government was doing..). I'd imagine if you've already been offered an interview/verbal offer you're safe but if you havent got interview yet you possibly aren't. I panicked as I have interview at Reading tomorrow, which I assume is still going ahead as they haven't contacted me to say otherwise.

This is only for univeristy based courses btw, scitts and schools direct should keep recruiting.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by purplefish92
I rang UCAs to check and they said 75% of places have been filled, and it's up to universities how they proceed with the final 25% (and tbh ucas seemed a bit confused about what the government was doing..). I'd imagine if you've already been offered an interview/verbal offer you're safe but if you havent got interview yet you possibly aren't. I panicked as I have interview at Reading tomorrow, which I assume is still going ahead as they haven't contacted me to say otherwise.

This is only for univeristy based courses btw, scitts and schools direct should keep recruiting.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks Purple. Good to have official report.
Hello everyone.
I gave my interview on Tuesday at UCL .No news yet .Got two conditional offers UEL and LSBU
UCL is my first choice . Can't decide UEL or LSBU
(edited 8 years ago)
http://schoolsweek.co.uk/government-extends-new-75-rule-to-english-and-primary-pgce-routes/

It could be the uni has reached its own limit. If they have reached a minimum of 75% or maximum of 95% number of places from their numbers from last year they have to stop recruiting.
Thanks for the info, obviously Wolverhampton must still have places but don't want me enough or want me to apply through SCITT, they also sent me an email from admissions saying they have been advised by the NCTL that they have reached the maximum numbers we can recruit at this time
Maybe 'at this time' was the important part of that hmmm
Original post by sjla94
How do you accept an offer on track? I only have two choices, substitute or return to choices.

Have you got a response from all your choices? If not, you need to withdraw from the others so you can firm your preference. If you have, then I'm not sure what it is, sorry.

Re, UCAS and full courses - when my course filled, I was contacted by the university I was still due to interview with. Nothing changed on UCAS/my application form and I was not contacted by them.
Is it true the pass mark for the professional skills tests is 63%?
Original post by blueberry muffin
Is it true the pass mark for the professional skills tests is 63%?

yes.
I had my interview at Cambridge today. I'm really not sure how it went but they were all lovely and made me feel a LOT calmer than I thought I would.
Original post by Aemiliana
I had my interview at Cambridge today. I'm really not sure how it went but they were all lovely and made me feel a LOT calmer than I thought I would.

Not too formal then? When I rang up it just seemed so serious.
Interview invite says there is time to discuss " Anything else you would like to show (e.g. portfolio / record of achievement)"

Racking my brain for what I could bring, I don't think I have anything.
Original post by jimbles
Is numeracy ready worth the £25 to prepare you for the test?

Also, does anyone know if numeracy ready has the visual questions for the mental arithmetic bit because I have hearing loss so don't have the question read out to me...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Numeracy Ready definitely helped me but I don't remember seeing any option to have visual questions. Maybe ask them via Facebook or email?
Original post by TunaTunnel
Not too formal then? When I rang up it just seemed so serious.

It was fairly laid back! Even though we had to do a Latin test and an essay they just left is to it, let us leave the room for water etc and just told us that they trusted us not to be looking up info on our phones. Towards the end we were all chatting instead of writing anyway.

We did overrun by about 1.5 hours though so bare that in mind if you're booking trains etc.
Original post by Aemiliana
Numeracy Ready definitely helped me but I don't remember seeing any option to have visual questions. Maybe ask them via Facebook or email?

Thank you. I'll drop them an email. I really need all the help I can get, 2 weeks to prep and I'm struggling with it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending