The Student Room Group

Geoscience & Geology 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Wenwoo
Ouch! I will struggle with rock/mineral identification too. Several people have said if you get an interview you will get an offer do fingers crossed. They haven't asked me to do a presentation - did they ask this at same time as inviting for interview?

Well they said to parents that by the UCAS days they've already rejected people and such and to be honest as long as we don't completely screw up the interview (:/) we'll be given an offer.

I asked about the what subject we had to do for the presentation beforehand though and got this reply image.jpg I guess I interpretated it wrong.
Original post by Plagioclase
Aww, glad to hear it :biggrin:

Sorry this has absolutely nothing to do with the post I have quoted but was just wondering if you could give me some advice since you attened Oxford. Basically, I was wondering what would be a good use of my time in the following summer (assuming I obtain a place at Oxford which may or may not occur) in terms of getting ahead for the course. Just a little background, I study Maths, Further Maths, additional further maths, chemistry and physics at the moment and I have decent understanding of basic geology from what I have read but this is by no means of any significant standard. So I was wondering what would be a good use of my time to get ahead? Should I look over some geology from the A-level syllabus, I was also thinking of looking over the biology a-level? Is the maths particularly hard-is it worth my while looking through M5,M6 and S4 etc. Don't worry I know you'll probably suggest that I rest in the summer since the course will be so hectic when I start, but that just isn't me so you won't be able to convince me not to work :biggrin: thank you in advance.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Mathematicus65
Sorry this has absolutely nothing to do with the post I have quoted but was just wondering if you could give me some advice since you attened Oxford. Basically, I was wondering what would be a good use of my time in the following summer (assuming I obtain a place at Oxford which may or may not occur) in terms of getting ahead for the course. Just a little background, I study Maths, Further Maths, additional further maths, chemistry and physics at the moment and I have decent understanding of basic geology from what I have read but this is by no means of any significant standard. So I was wondering what would be a good use of my time to get ahead? Should I look over some geology from the A-level syllabus, I was also thinking of looking over the biology a-level? Is the maths particularly hard-is it worth my while looking through M5,M6 and S4 etc. Don't worry I know you'll probably suggest that I rest in the summer since the course will be so hectic when I start, but that just isn't me so you won't be able to convince me not to work :biggrin: thank you in advance.

Firstly, read How to Build a Habitable Planet if you haven't already.

So far (and obviously I can only judge the first term), people who have done A Level Geology don't seem to have had any significant advantage so I don't think that's a particularly good use of your time. We've not done any Biology yet but in the PCB (Physics, Chemistry, Biology) course, Biology is the smallest part and anyway most people won't have done A Level Biology either so unless you particularly want to, I don't think there's any huge benefit in self-studying A Level Biology.

I'd say most people are finding the Maths the toughest part - I had heard this from second years and assumed this was just people who hadn't taken Further Maths moaning but no, it genuinely is really hard, partially because of the level of difficulty but mostly because of the pace and the fact that the onus is basically entirely on you to understand things since lectures are mainly just used to communicate what you're going to be expected to know. If you want to get ahead, take a look at partial derivatives, moments of inertia and the varying parameters method of solving differential equations which are the three "pressure points" I've found in the Maths course so far. There will probably be more next term but I can't judge those yet!

Apart from that, the two other main areas of difficulty I've had are with mapping and optical mineralogy. Neither of these are really things that you can self-study particularly effectively, I guess there are textbooks you could look at (there's also this really cool web app which I've wasted way too much time on) but quite honestly you'll be fine without it since everyone does pretty much start at the same point...

If you're interested in physical chemistry then have a look through Atkins' Physical Chemistry because we do look at atomic orbitals and wavefunctions and how this affects the shapes of lattices etc but only if you're really interested because this is not necessary and it quickly goes beyond what you'll cover in the first year. I thought that's been one of the most interesting things we've done so far though so I'll be having a read through that over Christmas (...maybe).

To be perfectly honest the most useful thing you can do is just read stuff that interests you. They're going to teach you everything you need to know so there's not a huge amount of point self-studying the course before you've started, it will be much more useful to just read general things that appeal to your personal interests which you might be able to use to embellish your answers or deepen your understanding. You're given credit in exams for going beyond the syllabus so yes, going outside is a good idea. If you look at the undergraduate handbook (on the website) then you can see what modules you will study which could direct you towards areas to look at but for the time being, just do things you find fun.
(edited 8 years ago)
Hi, I've got an interview at Oxford - does anyone have any idea what it'll be like? I had one at imperial and got an offer, so will it be similar in any way? Thanks
Original post by Williams97
Hi, I've got an interview at Oxford - does anyone have any idea what it'll be like? I had one at imperial and got an offer, so will it be similar in any way? Thanks

Well done! You'll probably have two interviews, both of them should be in the Earth Sciences department. There's no strict formula for the interview, it really does depend on who is interviewing you. The important thing is that it's an assessment of your potential, your ability to think and how well you cope with the tutorial system; it is not a test of how much you know. It is likely that you will be asked about a geological specimen as a starting point for a discussion but they're unlikely to expect you to identify it (indeed giving a one word response identifying it wouldn't be particularly helpful), instead they're going to be more interested in your description and what inferences you can make from it - once again, the point of the interview is to get you to think, not to recall!

Best of luck, hope it goes well :h:

NB: My Oxford interviews were harder than my interview at Imperial although not by a huge amount. It felt a bit more... focused on the work, whereas the Imperial interview felt more informal.
(edited 8 years ago)
Firstly, read How to Build a Habitable Planet if you haven't already.

So far (and obviously I can only judge the first term), people who have done A Level Geology don't seem to have had any significant advantage so I don't think that's a particularly good use of your time. We've not done any Biology yet but in the PCB (Physics, Chemistry, Biology) course, Biology is the smallest part and anyway most people won't have done A Level Biology either so unless you particularly want to, I don't think there's any huge benefit in self-studying A Level Biology.

I'd say most people are finding the Maths the toughest part - I had heard this from second years and assumed this was just people who hadn't taken Further Maths moaning but no, it genuinely is really hard, partially because of the level of difficulty but mostly because of the pace and the fact that the onus is basically entirely on you to understand things since lectures are mainly just used to communicate what you're going to be expected to know. If you want to get ahead, take a look at partial derivatives, moments of inertia and the varying parameters method of solving differential equations which are the three "pressure points" I've found in the Maths course so far. There will probably be more next term but I can't judge those yet!

Apart from that, the two other main areas of difficulty I've had are with mapping and optical mineralogy. Neither of these are really things that you can self-study particularly effectively, I guess there are textbooks you could look at (there's also this really cool web app which I've wasted way too much time on) but quite honestly you'll be fine without it since everyone does pretty much start at the same point...

If you're interested in physical chemistry then have a look through Atkins' Physical Chemistry because we do look at atomic orbitals and wavefunctions and how this affects the shapes of lattices etc but only if you're really interested because this is not necessary and it quickly goes beyond what you'll cover in the first year. I thought that's been one of the most interesting things we've done so far though so I'll be having a read through that over Christmas (...maybe).

To be perfectly honest the most useful thing you can do is just read stuff that interests you. They're going to teach you everything you need to know so there's not a huge amount of point self-studying the course before you've started, it will be much more useful to just read general things that appeal to your personal interests which you might be able to use to embellish your answers or deepen your understanding. You're given credit in exams for going beyond the syllabus so yes, going outside is a good idea. If you look at the undergraduate handbook (on the website) then you can see what modules you will study which could direct you towards areas to look at but for the time being, just do things you find fun.

Ah okay excellent thank you so much for the extensive response - very helpful. Luckily for me, I am interested in all regions of science, so to me it won't be a chore. To be honest, I am quite interested in looking over some biology and palaeontology anyway so I think I will do that; and I will continue to read around what I am currently anyway. Thank you very much!
Thanks plagioclase :smile: it's nice to know a bit more about it - hopefully there's no really weird questions everyone seems to have anecdotes about though! I thought the imperial interview was really informal too, which was almost unnerving really, but it's good to hear they're not too much harder. Thanks again :smile:
Thanks plagioclase :smile: it's nice to know a bit more about it - hopefully there's no really weird questions everyone seems to have anecdotes about though! I thought the imperial interview was really informal too, which was almost unnerving really, but it's good to hear they're not too much harder. Thanks again :smile:

"Weird" Oxford questions only sound weird when they're taken out of context, most of them make a lot more sense when you realise that they're part of a discussion :smile:
I thought that must be the case 😂
I got an unconditional from Leicester today for the MGeol Geology. Still have my sights set on Durham, but it was reassuring to get an offer at long last!
Reply 230
My UCAS has been sent off for about three weeks now and I have heard back from all my choices except Durham.
Bristol - AAA
Glasgow - AAB
Leicester - ABB
Southampton - I have an interview this Saturday!
Imperial Offer letter arrived today!
so offers now are Imperial AAA, Bristol AAA, Leeds AAB, waiting on Birmingham and Durham.

Williams which day was your interview on? Mine was 25th Nov, we may have met:smile:
Original post by NimbleNeil
so offers now are Imperial AAA, Bristol AAA, Leeds AAB, waiting on Birmingham and Durham.

Williams which day was your interview on? Mine was 25th Nov, we may have met:smile:

You got an AAA offer from Imperial? Lucky you!
Original post by NimbleNeil

Mine was on the 11th sorry - well done on the offers!
You got an AAA offer from Imperial? Lucky you!

I know it's their minimum offer :redface: How rare is it? I think it probably reflects my predicted grades more than any exceptional performance in the interview.

Mine was on the 11th sorry - well done on the offers!

Ahhh oh well - Thank you :smile:! Have you had an offer yet?
Hi. Did anyone get a skype interview from Oxford like me? :smile:
I'm an international applicant from Malaysia!
College: St Annes
This is a rather bizzare question, but does anyone know how to pronounce the sandstone Graywacke correctly? Since the name was founded in German, I was of the assumption it would be pronounced as in German ie. Gray-vacker but various videos and documentaries I have watched have also called it Gray-wackie. That seems incorrect to me but I may be wrong....
Original post by Mathematicus65
This is a rather bizzare question, but does anyone know how to pronounce the sandstone Graywacke correctly? Since the name was founded in German, I was of the assumption it would be pronounced as in German ie. Gray-vacker but various videos and documentaries I have watched have also called it Gray-wackie. That seems incorrect to me but I may be wrong....

I was wondering this exact same thing a few hours ago in mapping! According to the OED, it's "Gray-Wakeh"... so a strange juxtaposition of the English and German pronounciations. Having said that, I heard people pronouncing it "Gray-Wackie" and "Grey-Wack" today (including a demonstrator) so maybe it's a question nobody really knows the answer to.

I don't think it's "Gray-vacker" though since most anglicised German words don't retain the original pronounciation.
Original post by thegeoman
Hi. Did anyone get a skype interview from Oxford like me? :smile:I'm an international applicant from Malaysia!College: St Annes

Good choice, might see you next year! Did you have an interview this week? I know they've been carrying out Skype interviews.
(edited 8 years ago)
I received 2 unconditional offers today for:

BSc Geoscience at Keele University
BSc Geology with Physical Geography at Hull University

I am leaning towards choosing Keele at the moment :h:
Original post by phoebe42
Hey :smile: I applied on the 23rd of October and received an offer dependant on interview on the 28th, for Geology with a Year in Industry. I went up last Wednesday 25th November. Had a great time, the department was really friendly and the "interview" was really an informal chat. If you've got any questions feel free to ask!

I had my Southhampton interview on the 18th of November, it was quite informal, mainly asking about my interests in geology, work experience and summer on Skye. I was asked to identify two igneous rocks which wasn't difficult. Don't get stressed about it as it really is meant to be relaxed, the main purpose of the day is to persuade you to want to study at the university. If you've got an interview offer they're highly unlikely to reject you (imo)!

Ahh nice, I just received an interview from leeds as well, what type of questions did they ask and how long was it? Thanks for the help :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending