The Student Room Group

Pharmacology, best unis?

Hey, I want to get into R & D of Drugs, and I was wondering if pharmacology would be a good course to do. What does the job market in this subject look like (availability, pay etc)?

Finally, if it is worth it, which unis do you recommend for this subject (barring Cambridge and Oxford, one can only dream)?
Hi,

I transferred internally at my university from mathematics to Pharmacology so didn't look around at other universities, I didn't really get a choice. That being said, my university, The University Of Liverpool is really good, particularly if you're undecided which life science you want to study.
In the first year, the course has a lot of overlapping modules with the other life-sciences such as zoology, biomed, Biochem, microbiology, anatomy, physiology, biological sciences e.t.c so at the end of the first year if you decide pharmacology isn't for you, it is easy to transfer to one of the many life-science courses. Provided you passed all your modules of course!

Programme Year One
Core modules:

semester one
Molecules and Cells
Evolution and Biodiversity
Grand Challenges in Biology
Experimental Skills in Current Biology
Essential Skills for Life Sciences I

semester two
Introduction to Physiology and
Pharmacology
Biochemical Methods
Biological Chemistry
Plus one of the following modules:

Biochemistry and Biomedical Sciences
Applied Genetic and Molecular Technologies
Microbiology
Animal Biodiversity
Developmental Biology

The experimental skills in current biology, is the labs module. That's my favourite part of the course so far! Although, I've yet to experience my semester 2 modules.

I must say before you apply, make sure you know the difference between pharmacology and pharmacy so you aren't dissapointed. They are 2 very different courses and I'm lead to believe not easy to transfer between.

Hope this information could be of some help. :smile:
Pharmacology is the science of drugs and how they work. It should not be confused with Pharmacy (the preparation and dispensing of medicines). You will study the physiological and biochemical processes underlying diseases such as AIDS, malaria, asthma, cancer and cardiovascular disease, and how drug molecules can be designed to relieve symptoms and to combat the disease process.

It's a research based course, so if you're looking for a more clinically based course I'd say choose pharmacy.
Original post by Kathwalker95
Hi,

I transferred internally at my university from mathematics to Pharmacology so didn't look around at other universities, I didn't really get a choice. That being said, my university, The University Of Liverpool is really good, particularly if you're undecided which life science you want to study.
In the first year, the course has a lot of overlapping modules with the other life-sciences such as zoology, biomed, Biochem, microbiology, anatomy, physiology, biological sciences e.t.c so at the end of the first year if you decide pharmacology isn't for you, it is easy to transfer to one of the many life-science courses. Provided you passed all your modules of course!

Programme Year One
Core modules:

semester one
Molecules and Cells
Evolution and Biodiversity
Grand Challenges in Biology
Experimental Skills in Current Biology
Essential Skills for Life Sciences I

semester two
Introduction to Physiology and
Pharmacology
Biochemical Methods
Biological Chemistry
Plus one of the following modules:

Biochemistry and Biomedical Sciences
Applied Genetic and Molecular Technologies
Microbiology
Animal Biodiversity
Developmental Biology

The experimental skills in current biology, is the labs module. That's my favourite part of the course so far! Although, I've yet to experience my semester 2 modules.

I must say before you apply, make sure you know the difference between pharmacology and pharmacy so you aren't dissapointed. They are 2 very different courses and I'm lead to believe not easy to transfer between.

Hope this information could be of some help. :smile:

Original post by Kathwalker95
Pharmacology is the science of drugs and how they work. It should not be confused with Pharmacy (the preparation and dispensing of medicines). You will study the physiological and biochemical processes underlying diseases such as AIDS, malaria, asthma, cancer and cardiovascular disease, and how drug molecules can be designed to relieve symptoms and to combat the disease process.

It's a research based course, so if you're looking for a more clinically based course I'd say choose pharmacy.

Thanks so much! Yeah, I wanted to know the difference, but now I'm positive I want to do pharmacology. University of liverpool sounds like a great option, I hope you're enjoying your course.

As far as working for pharmaceuticals goes, which do you think they'd prefer for the development of drugs and cures, a pharmacy degree, or pharmacology?

Also, do you need chemistry and biology at A-levels? If so, is pharmacology focussed on organic chemistry, because I'm terrible at physical chemistry, but adore organic.
Original post by fandom-queen
Thanks so much! Yeah, I wanted to know the difference, but now I'm positive I want to do pharmacology. University of liverpool sounds like a great option, I hope you're enjoying your course.

As far as working for pharmaceuticals goes, which do you think they'd prefer for the development of drugs and cures, a pharmacy degree, or pharmacology?

Also, do you need chemistry and biology at A-levels? If so, is pharmacology focussed on organic chemistry, because I'm terrible at physical chemistry, but adore organic.

I'd say pharmacology is what you want; in a nutshell pharmacology is the research and development of new drugs, so exactly what you're looking for. There are so many options of research to go into within drug development also once you have your degree, and lots of areas of expertise too. Plus there are plenty of opportunities to undergo placements in pharmaceutical companies to gain experience before you graduate, so you know where you want to focus your attention.

Yes you do, I advise deciding which university you want to go to, and then looking at the course requirements for that specific university. Whilst I got into my university without a full A level in Biology, I had 2 years of university level mathematics. Which A Level applicants won't have. I took Mathematics, Biology, Chemistry and Physics at A Level.

I wouldn't worry too much about the chemistry side of things to be honest, my course is nothing like A-Level chemistry, which was the horrendous may I add!
(edited 8 years ago)
Omg, that's perfect! I'm doing Mathematics, Biology, Physics and Chemistry at A-levels too! I hope these subjects are fine.

I think I'm sure about doing pharmacology, because it seems exactly the kind of thing I want to get into.

On another note, why did you switch from mathematics? Is it possible to switch from one course to another, if I'm not enjoying it?
Omg, that's perfect! I'm doing Mathematics, Biology, Physics and Chemistry at A-levels too! I hope these subjects are fine.

I think I'm sure about doing pharmacology, because it seems exactly the kind of thing I want to get into.

On another note, why did you switch from mathematics? Is it possible to switch from one course to another, if I'm not enjoying it?

I switched because I always wanted to persue a career in a more medically involved job, and realised after studying mathematics for a year and a half, that I didn't fancy any of the jobs a degree in maths offered me. Pharmacology seemed like an interesting and rewarding degree, and also you have the option of doing actual medicine as a post-grad if you get a 2:1 or first in Pharmacology, which appealed to me very much! Basically the degree puts a foot in the door in the medical world.
Also you only get 4 years student finance and so If I completed my maths degree I would have had to have payed for my Pharmacology degree off my own back, so I decided to transfer after 2 years so I would only have to pay 1 year off my own back. Unfortunately I still have to pay back my 2 years for maths once I graduate, but at least I'm doing something I want to do now. The way the transfer worked for me is that I pay year one of my degree myself, and then student finance are going to pay the other 2.
It is possible, depends which course you want to go onto and whether you have the necessary grades/subjects ect, but once you are inside an institution it is a lot easier to get onto other courses, compared to appying via UCAS. Also, like I said earlier, it is very easy to change courses within the life sciences, as the first year on all courses is very similar it only gets more course specific in year 2. You just have to contact the head of the department, of the course you wish to transfer to and then they will usually invite you to a meeting, if you meet the requirements they fill out a transfer form which must also be signed by the head of your department of study and then you're good to go.
I've just applied to do pharmacology at the university of Liverpool! If I get an offer it will be my firm, I do chemistry maths and physics at A2

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey, I want to get into R & D of Drugs, and I was wondering if pharmacology would be a good course to do. What does the job market in this subject look like (availability, pay etc)?

Finally, if it is worth it, which unis do you recommend for this subject (barring Cambridge and Oxford, one can only dream)?

Are you doing pharmacology rn?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending