The Student Room Group

Asking about careers in Medicine and is Physics necessary?

Hello, I'm currently a year 11 student almost done with my GCSEs and about to choose my A levels. I have been interested in doing a career in Medicine and came to ask about the need for Physics. I don't take GCSE Physics, I do take GCSE Biology and Chemistry though and am considering taking Maths, Biology, Chemistry and Further Maths at A level. Will these A level options keep most Medical courses at university open for me? Do most of them require any Physics background? Thanks.
Everything you said is completely fine:yy:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by Frappé

Posted from TSR Mobile

Really, you don't need any Physics at GCSE level?
Reply 3
Original post by Frappé

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for your help. I'm surprised that you wouldn't need GCSE Physics though.
Reply 4
You need Core+Additional Science at GCSE for many medicine courses if you didn't take them as separate sciences. Did you do any physics at all for GCSE? Even P1?
No, you don't Physics GCSE.
Reply 6
Original post by Argentinababy
No, you don't Physics GCSE.

I'd expect they'd want at least Double Science, which includes some Physics. I honestly don't know how they would react to two sciences only at GCSE, though perhaps some medical schools would be fine with it.

I think it would be safest to actually email some medical schools about this, OP.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by suirrel
You need Core+Additional Science at GCSE for many medicine courses if you didn't take them as separate sciences. Did you do any physics at all for GCSE? Even P1?

No I didn't take any Physics at GCSE at all. In hindsight I should have though its too late to change that now.
Original post by llys
I'd expect they'd want at least Double Science, which includes some Physics.

Some physics yes, but you don't need a seperate GCSE Physics. There's a big jump from general GCSE science to A-level Biology and Chemistry, so long as the OP focuses on making sure his/her AS Biology and Chemistry grades are good, s/he shouldn't have a problem/
Original post by Vish24xy
Hello, I'm currently a year 11 student almost done with my GCSEs and about to choose my A levels. I have been interested in doing a career in Medicine and came to ask about the need for Physics. I don't take GCSE Physics, I do take GCSE Biology and Chemistry though and am considering taking Maths, Biology, Chemistry and Further Maths at A level. Will these A level options keep most Medical courses at university open for me? Do most of them require any Physics background? Thanks.

They're fine but be careful with Further Maths A-Level. A few Medical Schools don't count it as a separate subject so you could be limiting your options a little.
Reply 10
Original post by Argentinababy
Some physics yes, but you don't need a seperate GCSE Physics. There's a big jump from general GCSE science to A-level Biology and Chemistry, so long as the OP focuses on making sure his/her AS Biology and Chemistry grades are good, s/he shouldn't have a problem/

Agreed, but OP does not do any Physics at GCSE, that's the point. She's doing only Biology and Chemistry, not Double Science.
Reply 11
Original post by usycool1
They're fine but be careful with Further Maths A-Level. A few Medical Schools don't count it as a separate subject so you could be limiting your options a little.

I see, I'll email some medical schools to ask about this. Thanks.
Reply 12
http://www.furthermaths.org.uk/files/Medical_Schools_entry_requirement_June_2011_1.1.pdf

This is for A-Level requirements, but some specify their GCSE requirements quite clearly as well. (Some mention Physics or Double Science at GCSE, some do not.)
Original post by Vish24xy
No I didn't take any Physics at GCSE at all. In hindsight I should have though its too late to change that now.

I would probably consider contacting medical schools and seeing what they say. Obviously, medicine has a very low physics content and the physics in it are covered by biology/chemistry lessons at a higher level. However, they will probably say that to improve your application, you should take a physics GCSE. You could either take this while you're at college, as some have the facilities to teach GCSEs alongside A levels, or take it as a private candidate and teach yourself the content/get a tutor if wanted. You could also take it via distance learning, however those courses often cost a LOT of money and at GCSE level, if you are bright then it is very possible to teach yourself.

I personally taught myself Additional Science in the last couple of months before the exam (started seriously in March-ish) and got a B grade overall, which was not helped by a D grade in the ISA, haha. I used BBC bitesize a hell of a lot, this textbook/workbook

to learn the content and then past paper'd myself to a decent grade.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending