The Student Room Group

TSR Electrical & Electronic Engineering (EEE) Super Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by hedgemonkey
My brother was aware that Bristol and Manchester conduct interviews before offers.

But was not aware that even Southampton and Surrey do interviews. Found out only through the student room. Is this right?

Applied last week to Bristol, Manchester, Soythampton, Surrey and Cardiff.

Not so much. They both have applicant days where they have an 'informal interview', so basically just a 10 minute chat with one of the department staff. I don't even think it's compulsory for the application.

It's more to help you decide if its the right place for you - if they've invited you along, they already like your application and want you on the course.

Just firmed Southampton yesterday :h:
My brother was aware that Bristol and Manchester conduct interviews before offers.

But was not aware that even Southampton and Surrey do interviews. Found out only through the student room. Is this right?

Applied last week to Bristol, Manchester, Soythampton, Surrey and Cardiff.

I've been invited for interview at Manchester and Southampton. I believe Southamptons isn't necessary, but I did have to go to the Manchester one.

Posted from TSR Mobile
He has received invite to Manchester. Not a peep from the others. But he only applied last week.
Hey Guys!

I applied about three weeks ago to Imperial, UCL, Southampton, Bristol and Edinburgh

Currently an offer holder for
Edinburgh: equivalent of an ABB
Bristol: AAA

Anyone applying to the same unis?
Original post by samiesto
Hey Guys!

I applied about three weeks ago to Imperial, UCL, Southampton, Bristol and Edinburgh

Currently an offer holder for
Edinburgh: equivalent of an ABB
Bristol: AAA

Anyone applying to the same unis?

Hey, I applied to Imperial, UCL and Southampton as well! Manchester and Bath as other 2 (chose Bath over Bristol).

I applied just under a month ago, and have 3 offers and two interviews left. Which one do you want to go to the most?

Posted from TSR Mobile
He has received invite to Manchester. Not a peep from the others. But he only applied last week.

Southampton took about 3 weeks to send me invitation to visit day, so he should hear back in around 2 weeks from them.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by MahuduElec
Hey, I applied to Imperial, UCL and Southampton as well! Manchester and Bath as other 2 (chose Bath over Bristol).

I applied just under a month ago, and have 3 offers and two interviews left. Which one do you want to go to the most?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Definitely Imperial (hoping I'll get an offer this week!) what about you?
Original post by samiesto
Definitely Imperial (hoping I'll get an offer this week!) what about you?

Imperial or Southampton, got my interview for Imperial on the 16th. Good luck with the offer!

How did your interview go, if you don't mind me asking?
Imperial or Southampton, got my interview for Imperial on the 16th. Good luck with the offer!

It went really well! There was a technical question I messed up in, but then he started talking about my write-up on elliptic curve cryptography since I wrote about that in my P.S and it was all good after that.
Reply 229

I also have interview in Imperial the 16th, I guess we will see each other!
When do uni admssions offices break for christmas. I presume from 23 rd to 5 jan. Hope they get a good few offers despatched before then.
Original post by jaime98
I also have interview in Imperial the 16th, I guess we will see each other!

I guess so! How are you getting there? I'm taking a train from Manchester and then the Tube from Euston.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 232
I guess so! How are you getting there? I'm taking a train from Manchester and then the Tube from Euston.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Im from Madrid so I will take a plane the day before and sleep nearby.
Reply 233
Hi guys,

I've got offers from Bristol, Loughborough and Birmingham. Waiting on Cardiff and Southampton now (visited Southampton last week).

I'm really split between Bristol and Southampton. I liked Bristol, arguably the more 'prestigious' of the two, but IMHO Southampton's department was way nicer (recently renovated labs etc). Any suggestions on how to make my mind up?
Original post by scrlk
Hi guys,

I've got offers from Bristol, Loughborough and Birmingham. Waiting on Cardiff and Southampton now (visited Southampton last week).

I'm really split between Bristol and Southampton. I liked Bristol, arguably the more 'prestigious' of the two, but IMHO Southampton's department was way nicer (recently renovated labs etc). Any suggestions on how to make my mind up?

Southampton has a much better ranking for EEE, and is very reputable in the industry
Original post by scrlk

Out of my 5 (Southampton, Bath, Bristol, Surrey, and Imperial College) I discounted Bristol pretty soon after making all the visits.

It's department just isn't up to the same standards as the others', especially So'ton's - backed up by its position in the league tables (14th if I remember? With the others at 1st, 10th, 3rd and 2nd respectively).

I already accepted my offer from Southampton as my firm :h:
Original post by Alexion
Out of my 5 (Southampton, Bath, Bristol, Surrey, and Imperial College) I discounted Bristol pretty soon after making all the visits.

It's department just isn't up to the same standards as the others', especially So'ton's - backed up by its position in the league tables (14th if I remember? With the others at 1st, 10th, 3rd and 2nd respectively).

Do you mean you didn't take Imperial as firm? I am surprised.
Original post by Alexion

Original post by kind3110

Yeah ICL Outranks all the other aforementioned unis
Original post by kind3110

Original post by Formless
Yeah ICL Outranks all the other aforementioned unis

The London life ain't for me... :redface:
Original post by scrlk
Hi guys,

Ive visited both Bristol and Southampton, Also applying for EEE.

Southampton is 100% better for EEE, Nationally they are very reputable, there department is heavily invested into and have a strong faculty.

Bristol on the other still has a strong dept, but Southampton is definitely better. Bristol has the international reputability, like you said more 'Prestigious', this doesn't necessarily mean its better, as proven through Southampton's EEE dept outranking Bristol. Industries in the UK would see a degree from Southampton as stronger. Internationally it would probably have to go to Bristol.

To conclude, Southampton, unless you plan on working abroad.
On another note, I personally like Southampton in terms of the Uni and City, felt it was a lot more nicer and appealing than Bristol, but that's just me :biggrin: Good Luck

Quick Reply

Latest