The Student Room Group

Would you study abroad to avoid tuition fees?

Poll

Would you study in Europe to avoid English tuition fees?

Interesting piece on the BBC today about the growing number of students heading to the Netherlands for university. Tuition fees at Dutch universities are typically around £1,400 a year.

'BBC News'

Across the Netherlands, there are 2,600 UK students in universities this term - up by a third in a year.

The University of Groningen is a microcosm of this - up by 33% to around 300 UK students, for whom it has had to put on special open days.

This 400 year-old university, second oldest in the Netherlands and in the top 100 of international rankings, now designates itself as an English-speaking institution.

It is running more degree courses taught in English than in Dutch, with students from Germany, China, the UK and the Netherlands itself, all learning in English.

Would you consider studying in Europe to avoid the tuition fees in England?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I did exactly that, but not at Groningen.

However, I will add, whilst you can get by without learning Dutch because the tuition is in English you might find it hard socially if you don't speak dutch because in social groups they're less accommodating (naturally, why would 20 people speak English for 1 person?). It took me a year to learn Dutch but I'm glad I did!

There are international student societies, but I found all the Spanish stuck together, the French, etc. Just worth bearing in mind :smile:
Original post by shooks
Interesting piece on the BBC today about the growing number of students heading to the Netherlands for university. Tuition fees at Dutch universities are typically around £1,400 a year.

Last time I checked England was also in Europe so your title confused me a little! I would not try to avoid the fees... There is not even an obligation to pay them and they will be waived after 25 years. No need to worry.
Reply 3
No. They make absolutely no difference.
Reply 4
Certainly not to avoid tuition fees.
The thing that annoys me the most is the fact that manypeople assume that British universities are the best, it seems to me manystudent of this generation have a misconception that if they study anywhereelse in the world it will cause harm to themselves in future careers. I admit Oxbridgeis highly sort out across the globe but i feel an accredited degree from a wellestablished university anywhere in Europe is just as good but in some cases afraction of the price. Cultural, fees, independence and a new language are allthings that could be gained from studying abroad. But in the end it is apersonal choice. Courses like medicine or veterinary medicine (and dentistry)are all really competitive in the UK due to underfunding so some people areforced like my friend who gained AAA and UKCAT score of 710 to study in Europe;however the negative comments she got were unbelievable as she didn’t study in Britain.However I do believe that tuition fees are only one aspect of studying abroadbut i personally wouldn’t use it as my deciding factor. Please if you don’tagree tell me happy to hear other opinions.
Reply 6
Original post by _GeeGee_
The thing that annoys me the most is the fact that manypeople assume that British universities are the best, it seems to me manystudent of this generation have a misconception that if they study anywhereelse in the world it will cause harm to themselves in future careers. I admit Oxbridgeis highly sort out across the globe but i feel an accredited degree from a wellestablished university anywhere in Europe is just as good but in some cases afraction of the price. Cultural, fees, independence and a new language are allthings that could be gained from studying abroad. But in the end it is apersonal choice. Courses like medicine or veterinary medicine (and dentistry)are all really competitive in the UK due to underfunding so some people areforced like my friend who gained AAA and UKCAT score of 710 to study in Europe;however the negative comments she got were unbelievable as she didn’t study in Britain.However I do believe that tuition fees are only one aspect of studying abroadbut i personally wouldn’t use it as my deciding factor. Please if you don’tagree tell me happy to hear other opinions.

Heya,

I did my bachelors in the Uk and postgraduate in the Netherlands. You're right, it's not just about tuition fees but also the cultural experience you have of working and living in another country. Even if you're not that linguistically talented you fan become conversational in a second language and a load of other benefits.
I've always been asked questions at job and graduate interviews about my international experiences and it's something I think a lot of uk graduates don't have, it helps you say something interesting and different. Before my masters I'd probably be quite a boring candidate just talking about sport teams I was in, or a drama society, things everyone else has said before me.

I believe law (Dutch) and medicine are taught exclusively in Dutch, at least at my university - logical when you need to communicate with Dutch citizens; vetinary I'm unsure.

Perhaps at bachelor level prestige has some factors with uk recruiters, but at post graduate I believe it makes less difference because so much weighs on your thesis. IVe certainly done well with my job applications, with several assessment centres coming up and some offers already in place so I don't feel it's limiting me in regards to an employer thinking "where's that? " or "where are they ranked?".
Reply 7
I am very tempted to study in Germany. Not only for the lower tuition fees, but also cause I miss my brother so much. :frown:
I would consider studying abroad if I was unable to get onto a competitive course in the UK rather than for the cheaper fees
England IS in Europe. Fail.

Also, the English are too bloody thick to know foreign languages - they can't really study abroad.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Andy98
No. They make absolutely no difference.

Huh? In Germany they're around 200 quid per semester, and that includes a 6-month pass for public transport.
Reply 11
Original post by TitanicTeutonicPhil
Huh? In Germany they're around 200 quid per semester, and that includes a 6-month pass for public transport.

And in England you get a debt you don't have to worry about. I'm not sure how the European systems work, but I do think the UK has one the best systems for the fees.

Where did you get that from? We(I'm German) abolished tuition fees, even for international students.
Actually, I came to the UK from Germany to study here (UK). Altogether British universities are better than German universities. Also, in British universities you are asked to think critically (essays etc.) whereas in Germany it's just about root learning and regurgitating stuff. Each to their own. Comes down to what you prefer.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Miss_mischy
Where did you get that from? We(I'm German) abolished tuition fees, even for international students.

I'm German too. Ever heard of Semestergebühren, Verwaltungsgebühren, AStA-Beitrag, Semesterticket?
Original post by Miss_mischy
Actually, I came to the UK from Germany to study here (UK). Altogether British universities are better than German universities. Also, in British universities you are asked to think critically (essays etc.) whereas in Germany it's just about root learning and regurgitating stuff. Each to their own. Comes down to what you prefer.

Nonsense. In British universities you're a paying customer, you are nursed to your degree. In German universities you need to actually work - if you don't perform, you get kicked out. Seminars (as opposed to lectures) are held in small groups, and essays and discussion are the norm.
I am tempted to do this for my Masters tbh.
I'm German too. Ever heard of Semestergebühren, Verwaltungsgebühren, AStA-Beitrag, Semesterticket?

Semestergebuehren are not the same as tuition fees.
Original post by shooks

wanna know my big secret to avoiding tuition fees

Spoiler

Nonsense. In British universities you're a paying customer, you are nursed to your degree. In German universities you need to actually work - if you don't perform, you get kicked out. Seminars (as opposed to lectures) are held in small groups, and essays and discussion are the norm.

But when it comes to writing essays, British universities want you to think outside the box. I have corrected an essay from my German friend and in every other sentence was a quote. How does that encourage your own thinking?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending