The Student Room Group

Are you allowed to write down all the equations at the start of an exam?

I'm halfway into my mocks, I did five of them on Thursday and Friday (Don't think they went well) and I'm doing the rest throughout this week. I'm wondering if I'm allow to write over the first page to refer back to later.

I have a Physics mock on Monday, and I know these are just mocks, but the school is heavily enforcing that I'm doing foundation sciences if we don't get a B in the mocks. I have thirty equations to learn, I'm I allowed, right after the paper starts, to write every equation on the front of the paper. Would examiners be okay with this at the real thing?

I don't want to do it, just to be disqualified from the paper. It doesn't seem like you'd be allowed as it's easy to memorize for a short period of time, and most of the paper in Physics are equation questions. It seems like it would make the paper way to easy.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by namedperson
I'm halfway into my mocks, I did five of them on Thursday and Friday (Don't think they went well) and I'm doing the rest throughout this week. I'm wondering if I'm allow to write over the first page to refer back to later.

I have a Physics mock on Monday, and I know these are just mocks, but the school is heavily enforcing that I'm doing foundation sciences if we don't get a B in the mocks. I have thirty equations to learn, I'm I allowed, right after the paper starts, to write every equation on the front of the paper. Would examiners be okay with this at the real thing?

I don't want to do it, just to be disqualified from the paper. It doesn't seem like you'd be allowed as it's easy to memorize for a short period of time, and most of the paper in Physics are equation questions. It seems like it would make the paper way to easy.

Yes, I think that would be allowed.

I think it'd be OK after the exam has actually started. It probably isn't allowed while you are sitting in the exam hall waiting for the exam to officially start.
Reply 2

You should probably write them inside the paper in a working out space.

Btw, 30 equations seems like a lot for a Physics GCSE

If you ask for extra paper you can write it on that. I do this in every Latin and Greek exam with harder grammar tables, that way I can keep referring to it throughout.
(edited 8 years ago)

Don't write it on the front of the paper. Ask for an extra piece of blank paper for your working and then write it down there. You will have to discard all pieces of paper after the exam.

Original post by jackien1
Don't write it on the front of the paper. Ask for an extra piece of blank paper for your working and then write it down there. You will have to discard all pieces of paper after the exam.

There's no problem with writing them on the exam paper. If you are given extra paper, that has to be given in with your exam paper, not discarded.
Reply 6
Original post by h3110
You should probably write them inside the paper in a working out space.

Btw, 30 equations seems like a lot for a Physics GCSE

Double Award science. I just counted 26. It's all the equations we were given by our teacher, so it's everything that I'm going to learn.

KE equation
GPE Equaion
KE@top=Gpe@bottom
Work
Power
Effiency
Density
Weight
Moments
Ms(anti-cw)=Ms(cw)
Speed
Velocity
Acc.
Fres=ma
Fres=Forward Force - Backward Force
Momentum
Velocity (Waves)

Electricity
Charge
Work
Work 2
Voltage
Power

Resistance in Series Circuits
Resistance in Parallel Circuits
Resistance in Parallel circuits with equal resistors
Current crossing Resistors
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by jackien1

I wouldn't, as you aren't allowed this in a real GCSE so don't practise with it.
Reply 8
Original post by Compost
I wouldn't, as you aren't allowed this in a real GCSE so don't practise with it.
We're not allowed more paper? Are we still allowed to write equations all over the first opened page?
Original post by Compost

Sorry but that's just wrong.

Whilst you're waiting for the exam to start, check to see if you have rough paper to work, if you do, great, if not, put your hand up and ask if you can have some paper in prep for the exam.

As soon as it starts, write them down on there - and then discard it in the bins/give it to the examiner to throw away. There is NO harm if it goes to the examiners though... so don't worry if they tell you to put it in with your exam paper (even in the real deal)... in fact, if you mis-remembered an equation, it may work in your favour and still give you method marks.
Double Award science. I just counted 26. It's all the equations we were given by our teacher, so it's everything that I'm going to learn.

KE equation
GPE Equaion
KE@top=Gpe@bottom
Work
Power
Effiency
Density
Weight
Moments
Ms(anti-cw)=Ms(cw)
Speed
Velocity
Acc.
Fres=ma
Fres=Forward Force - Backward Force
Momentum
Velocity (Waves)

Electricity
Charge
Work
Work 2
Voltage
Power

Resistance in Series Circuits
Resistance in Parallel Circuits
Resistance in Parallel circuits with equal resistors
Current crossing Resistors

You won't need to learn half of these, they're provided for you in the exams(at least for AQA).
I do triple science and really, there's only 4 or 5 I have to go over to remember.

As long as it's after the exam has started then yes, but I have no idea why you'd need to memorise 30 complicated equations for a Physics exam...
Original post by Plagioclase
As long as it's after the exam has started then yes, but I have no idea why you'd need to memorise 30 complicated equations for a Physics exam...

The exam board CCEA doesn't give you any sheets with any equations or constants on it for GCSE, only for a levels. Your forced to learn them. If you need any info it's always just provided in the question and you need to remember the correct equation
Original post by Celebi899
The exam board CCEA doesn't give you any sheets with any equations or constants on it for GCSE, only for a levels. Your forced to learn them. If you need any info it's always just provided in the question and you need to remember the correct equation

But surely most of the equations at GCSE are just relatively simple relationships like V=IR that you'll memorise with practice?
Of course, just make sure that you write them somewhere that is allowed. I did a similar thing for my grade 5 music theory ... no way I would have passed without! :smile:
We're not allowed more paper? Are we still allowed to write equations all over the first opened page?

Yes you are allowed to 'brain dump' as soon as the exam starts just, annoyingly, not on a separate sheet.
Original post by brijmohan3
Sorry but that's just wrong.

I'm afraid it's not. This is a query that was raised with JCQ, the Council responsible for the rules for all domestic GCSEs and GCEs (i.e. those with AQA, CCEA, Edexcel, OCR and WJEC) for clarification a couple of years ago. Centres are not allowed to give extra paper on which to do essay planning, brain dump information etc.
Original post by Mayhem™
You won't need to learn half of these, they're provided for you in the exams(at least for AQA).
I do triple science and really, there's only 4 or 5 I have to go over to remember.

The board is CCEA, and from looking at past papers I can see that most of the questions are related to equations, so learning these seems like most of the paper. None are given in past paper and we're told that we need to learn all of them.
The board is CCEA, and from looking at past papers I can see that most of the questions are related to equations, so learning these seems like most of the paper. None are given in past paper and we're told that we need to learn all of them.

Oh I see, that sucks.
In physics, aren't you questioned on the properties of solids/liquids/gases?
Types of waves? Circuits?
Original post by Mayhem™
Oh I see, that sucks.
In physics, aren't you questioned on the properties of solids/liquids/gases?
Types of waves? Circuits?
Yes, we have to do these as well. I understand how solids/liquids and gasses are arranged, and how removing energy changes state. I'm pretty sure I know the tree different types of waves and circuits are pretty easy to understand in questions.

I did my mock for Physics today and I think it went really well. Physics is a much easier science than Chemistry and Biology, as there's little to learn and some understanding.

The mock consisted of a lot of equation questions for power, work, momentum, moments, Resulting Force etc. Velocity time graph was included, the only experiment that i needed to answer was Personal Power. I had to draw dispersion, draw a reflected letter on another side of a mirror and the last two pages consisted of circuit/electricity questions.

Our mocks for Sciences are written by the teachers, they aren't past papers to prevent cheating to avoid foundation and fail it.

Quick Reply

Latest