The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Best of luck to everyone with interviews over the next two weeks. There is quite a lot of waiting around so our advice is to spend time in the JCRs (junior common rooms or communal areas) and make friends - try and enjoy the experience. At the interviews themselves, stay calm and give it your best shot. Treat it as a teaching session, if you can. The selectors are not expecting perfect responses but are looking for engagement - if you come out feeling you've learned some new things, that is a good sign.

Brasenose Admissions
Original post by connieiscrazy
Hi :smile: Are you there for Law? It's going well, I don't want to over-prepare however. I want to sound natural and spontaneous and completely myself in the interview. I'm just re-reading a book I mentioned in my PS, thinking about some practice questions and reading news articles about my subject. How is your prep going?

Omg that's so exciting, I've finally found a St Hugh's lawyer! We might see each other! :tongue:

Yay haha I feel the same! How are you feeling/preparing?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by GeorgiaAnnBeal
Yay haha I feel the same! How are you feeling/preparing?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm just re-reading a book I mentioned in my PS, thinking about some practice questions and reading news articles about my subject. How is your prep going? And did you apply direct to St Hugh's?
Hi :smile: Are you there for Law? It's going well, I don't want to over-prepare however. I want to sound natural and spontaneous and completely myself in the interview. I'm just re-reading a book I mentioned in my PS, thinking about some practice questions and reading news articles about my subject. How is your prep going?

Omg that's so exciting, I've finally found a St Hugh's lawyer! We might see each other! :tongue:

Yep, I'm there for Law! I'm exactly the same as you. I'm just looking over past questions, looking at the news, re-reading a book mentioned in a teacher reference, and making sure I know lots about my EPQ. :smile:
Merton :smile:
Hi! I'm there on those days at St Hugh's for Law :smile: What college are you at?
I'm just re-reading a book I mentioned in my PS, thinking about some practice questions and reading news articles about my subject. How is your prep going? And did you apply direct to St Hugh's?

Yep I'm doing exactly the same! And I applied to the college directly yes, what about you?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yep I'm doing exactly the same! And I applied to the college directly yes, what about you?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I applied to Balliol originally and got re-allocated, but I don't mind at all (it's still Oxford lol!). I know that Balliol is immensely popular every year and St Hugh's looks like a lovely place :tongue:
I applied to Balliol originally and got re-allocated, but I don't mind at all (it's still Oxford lol!). I know that Balliol is immensely popular every year and St Hugh's looks like a lovely place :tongue:

Yes it is! Honestly you'll really like it!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yes it is! Honestly you'll really like it!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I feel like I'd be more suited to it - I like how it's quite out of the centre, so I can walk around a lot and take in the fresh air :biggrin:
Does anyone know what the interviews are like at Worcester?
Original post by aysha_aamer
Does anyone know what the interviews are like at Worcester?

1st year Philosophy & German student at Worcester here. The form of the interview really does depend on your subject, and might change from year to year. Largely they'll be looking at *how* you think. You might be given an article or similar to discuss. Message me if you have any questions about interviews or Worcester life in general :smile:
I think that isabellissimo and I both had the same idea: I was just popping along to say that I'm a first year French and Philosophy student at St John's; if anyone has any questions at all, please feel free to ask and I will answer as best as I can :smile:

Is there anyone here applying for Philosophy and French at John's, this year? :smile:
Has anyone else got an interview at Lincoln 9th - 11th December? I feel like I should have had more info/a confirmation email or something?
I had a dream last night that my interview went really badly! I was feeling quietly confident before that, but now I'm starting to feel really nervous...
Modern Language people, do you know if we will get grammar-type tests during our time there?

Also I've been asked to arrive by 5pm - will I likely have any tests or interviews at that time?

Final question ( :smile: ) : If I want to meet up with friends on the first night around 7, do you think that'll be ok or will I have to stay in college doing activities the first night?
I've somehow managed to get myself an interview at St. John's for French and Beginner's German - is there anyone else that's being interviewed for the same course and/or college?

Also, a question specifically to those who have any experience with St. John's. In the email, it said O2 reception can be "poor", but does that apply to giffgaff as well? And by "poor", are we talking one or two bars, or absolutely nothing? Is it the same for 3G / 4G?

Thanks in advance!
Original post by suziesoiree
I've somehow managed to get myself an interview at St. John's for French and Beginner's German - is there anyone else that's being interviewed for the same course and/or college?

Also, a question specifically to those who have any experience with St. John's. In the email, it said O2 reception can be "poor", but does that apply to giffgaff as well? And by "poor", are we talking one or two bars, or absolutely nothing? Is it the same for 3G / 4G?

Thanks in advance!

giffgaff uses O2 network, so...

but in general you can have 4G network in Oxford with giffgaff.
Original post by suziesoiree

Thanks in advance!

I didn't know Oxford does Beginner's German? Also, colleges tend to get a poor 3G signal and that's most of the providers in most colleges
Original post by vermelha
I didn't know Oxford does Beginner's German? Also, colleges tend to get a poor 3G signal and that's most of the providers in most colleges

Yes, you can do some languages ab initio, but you have to have one at advanced level!

Wifi should still be pretty good, right?
Reply 9119
I had the exact same dream except mine was at christ church haha

Latest

Trending

Trending