The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I got 75% first go. dunno how that will correlate to the real thing...
Reply 2
I got 84% but i had seen a bunch of the questions before when my uni had done practice sessions and used the practice paper

I think i read somewhere average was like 85% last year?
Ive been working through the BMJ qbank this last week, anyone have an opinion on those?
Original post by jooby92
I got 84% but i had seen a bunch of the questions before when my uni had done practice sessions and used the practice paper

I think i read somewhere average was like 85% last year?

http://www.foundationprogramme.nhs.uk/pages/home/how-to-apply/SJT-FAQs

based on this 85% sounds about right. You can calculate what you would get using the formula in question 8 after multiplying your score by 6/7 (10 out of 70 Qs don't count in the real thing)

I got 83% on a quick 65min try. I might get a few percent more now, but certainly 85-87%-ish sounds like a realistic score. Our med school somehow has an average above 40, which I have now realized is quite hard to get. That formula also highlights how much the percentages count... very slight differences in performance will impact your EPM a lot.

EDIT: So the raw mean score last year was 887. That's about 88%. The max was 97%.
EDIT2: It also seems that the mean score went up by about 50, which is huge, from last year. Given the variation in these scores, I doubt we can conclude very much.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by AnonymousPenguin
http://www.foundationprogramme.nhs.uk/pages/home/how-to-apply/SJT-FAQs

based on this 85% sounds about right. You can calculate what you would get using the formula in question 8 after multiplying your score by 6/7 (10 out of 70 Qs don't count in the real thing)

I got 83% on a quick 65min try. I might get a few percent more now, but certainly 85-87%-ish sounds like a realistic score. Our med school somehow has an average above 40, which I have now realized is quite hard to get. That formula also highlights how much the percentages count... very slight differences in performance will impact your EPM a lot.

EDIT: So the raw mean score last year was 887. That's about 88%. The max was 97%.
EDIT2: It also seems that the mean score went up by about 50, which is huge, from last year. Given the variation in these scores, I doubt we can conclude very much.

Sorry I'm a total idiot -

so to get your SJT points out of 50 from your mock score you use the formula RAW POINTS x 0.135 - 81.331 after multiplying by 0.86?

I got 86% this gives me 40

which doesn't feel as reassuring as 86% did ! :tongue: isn't 40 the average?

Meh oh well.

I feel conflicted bc the mock took me 35 minutes (had seen a few of the questions before) - but I know from experience with med school MCQs I always do worse if I go slower or check my answers. I end up second guessing my gut reaction and changing right answers to wrong then kicking myself later. You can chat yourself in and out of anything. so I don't know whether to go with my gut technique or slow down
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by lekky
I feel conflicted bc the mock took me 35 minutes (had seen a few of the questions before) - but I know from experience with med school MCQs I always do worse if I go slower or check my answers. I end up second guessing my gut reaction and changing right answers to wrong then kicking myself later. You can chat yourself in and out of anything. so I don't know whether to go with my gut technique or slow down

My dad's a teacher, and he always told me that there are people who change their answers from wrong to right, and people who change their answers from right to wrong. The get-it-right-first-timers, and the needed-a-bit-more-time-to-think-about-iters. He hates that people are always advised to check their answers, because that simply doesn't work for everyone. I NEVER check my answers since he told me that, and I perform just the same. It sounds like you know your style, so do what works best for you.
Original post by Ghotay
My dad's a teacher, and he always told me that there are people who change their answers from wrong to right, and people who change their answers from right to wrong. The get-it-right-first-timers, and the needed-a-bit-more-time-to-think-about-iters. He hates that people are always advised to check their answers, because that simply doesn't work for everyone. I NEVER check my answers since he told me that, and I perform just the same. It sounds like you know your style, so do what works best for you.

Single most useful piece of advice I was ever given about MCQs/EMQs that.
Original post by Ghotay

I always just do a quick check to make sure I've not forgotten to answer any of the questions, and then leave the exam hall immediately after... I'm so keen to get out of there that I'm usually the first person out of the door, haha. :lol:

I've learned from experience how much more frustrating it is to know I got an answer right but changed it to a wrong one, than to simply get an answer wrong on my first attempt.

So yeah - I'd agree that this is great advice. :smile:
Reply 9
Just sat for the first round of SJT test this afternoon. I will have to say that the mock paper online does not really reflect the actual paper. The actual paper has longer question stems, more complicated/twisted questions, and similar answers. I agree with the views above with regards "checking the answers" though! I somehow managed to review some of the questions and ended up changing 90% of my answers. I will keep my finger crossed and pray that I've made the right choices! :s-smilie:. Anyway, that is just my two cents. All the best for those who are having their SJT in January!
Original post by Mun91
Just sat for the first round of SJT test this afternoon. I will have to say that the mock paper online does not really reflect the actual paper. The actual paper has longer question stems, more complicated/twisted questions, and similar answers. I agree with the views above with regards "checking the answers" though! I somehow managed to review some of the questions and ended up changing 90% of my answers. I will keep my finger crossed and pray that I've made the right choices! :s-smilie:. Anyway, that is just my two cents. All the best for those who are having their SJT in January!

That's interesting. I thought it was very similar to the mock.

Really? Now this is worrying. : (.

I also thought it was quite similar to the mock, which surprised me actually.
Original post by Mun91

I too took the exam this past Friday and I agree with everything Mun91 said including changing my answers 90% of the time on the questions I managed to review.
Original post by medic2874
I also thought it was quite similar to the mock, which surprised me actually.

Yup, I thought it was fairly similar to the mock, too.

My husband (also a final year medical student) refers to the SJT as a very expensive random number generator. Yesterday did nothing to change either of our minds about that assessment. :s-smilie:

Just out of interest: what time were people told to turn up? We had to be quarantined from 12pm, and we all assumed it was because some centres were starting a bit earlier (which would make sense - we couldn't start any earlier since the year below us was doing their end-of-phase exams in the only appropriate venue that's big enough to hold all of us), but then we heard that every university was sitting the SJT at 2pm. Just wondering why we were holed up for two hours for seemingly no reason...
Original post by *pitseleh*
Yup, I thought it was fairly similar to the mock, too.

My husband (also a final year medical student) refers to the SJT as a very expensive random number generator. Yesterday did nothing to change either of our minds about that assessment. :s-smilie:

Just out of interest: what time were people told to turn up? We had to be quarantined from 12pm, and we all assumed it was because some centres were starting a bit earlier (which would make sense - we couldn't start any earlier since the year below us was doing their end-of-phase exams in the only appropriate venue that's big enough to hold all of us), but then we heard that every university was sitting the SJT at 2pm. Just wondering why we were holed up for two hours for seemingly no reason...

We had to turn up at 13.45 and started at 14.02.
We had to turn up at 13.45 and started at 14.02.

Ah, cheers.. that is strange. They did (weirdly) provide us with a buffet lunch but still - two hours cooped up in an over-warm room with 200 other people was not how I would have chosen to spend yesterday lunchtime if I'd had the choice.
I sat the SJT yesterday and absolutely hated it! I didn't think it was anything like the mock. The question stems were like novels, and I thought the answers were far less obvious. I struggled with time and I feel so bad about it all!
I'm terrified I won't even be on the primary list now!

:frown:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by sparrow-legs
I sat the SJT yesterday and absolutely hated it! I didn't think it was anything like the mock. The question stems were like novels, and I thought the answers were far less obvious. I struggled with time and I feel so bad about it all!
I'm terrified I won't even be on the primary list now!

:frown:

Ditto! I feel exactly the same...such a horrible feeling isn't it. I think many people will feel similar, it's sadly just a case of waiting until March and focusing on finals etc. until then.
I got 76% on the mock

Does anyone know when we get our results? I sat the international one last Friday
(edited 8 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending