The Student Room Group

Attention seeking friend

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by RadDadRedemption
Did not read lol

what?
OP ask her why she is lying/attention seeking. She will deny it but stand your ground. Say you cant put up with it until she tells the truth. When we lie, we choose to be selfish to protect ourselves. Constant liars cant be trusted.

Why she always lyingggg
Reply 22
Original post by RadDadRedemption
Did not read lol

Oh, are you saying my statement was too long? Sorry about that haha, I'll bullet point basics;

.Only friend is an attention seeker (I think, I may be wrong)
.I can't stand attention seeking.
.Feel very lonely without friend(s)
.Reaching the end of my tether
Reply 23
Original post by angelcake123
OP ask her why she is lying/attention seeking. She will deny it but stand your ground. Say you cant put up with it until she tells the truth. When we lie, we choose to be selfish to protect ourselves. Constant liars cant be trusted.

Why she always lyingggg

Haha, thank you for the singing :smile:
She isn't all bad though, she's very nice in other ways. Maybe I should just put up with t? Beggars can't be choosers after all.
Reply 24

Why she always lyingggg

I'm just nervous that if I ask I'll basically be calling her a liar and it'll come across as super offensive.
Original post by daviem
Haha, thank you for the singing :smile:
She isn't all bad though, she's very nice in other ways. Maybe I should just put up with t? Beggars can't be choosers after all.

Anytime hehe :smile:
Yeah i know she isnt all bad, but it seems to really bother you. The sooner you handle it the better. Otherwise, at one point it may drive you crazy :redface:
Original post by daviem
I'm just nervous that if I ask I'll basically be calling her a liar and it'll come across as super offensive.

Aww well maybe the next time she does something attention seeking, ask her what was that all about? Or you could joke and say "wow you attention seeker" and then she'll laugh and then you say "no I'm being serious"
Reply 26
Anytime hehe :smile:
Yeah i know she isnt all bad, but it seems to really bother you. The sooner you handle it the better. Otherwise, at one point it may drive you crazy :redface:

Aww well maybe the next time she does something attention seeking, ask her what was that all about? Or you could joke and say "wow you attention seeker" and then she'll laugh and then you say "no I'm being serious"

Yeah, I reckon I should. You don't want to have a relationship with someone you can't trust. Better not do it in front of our teacher though, she loves her so much I'll probably be given detention for bullying her haha.
Original post by daviem
Clearly you think your'e funny by writing nonsense, but it's a bit annoying in all honesty, I'm really unsure about the situation with my friend, so if you have any real advice then please leave it.

Keep your mouth shut for now since she's your only friend, but try to widen your friendship group.
Reply 28
Original post by Smonnie
Keep your mouth shut for now since she's your only friend, but try to widen your friendship group.

Iv'e really tried to make new friends, I literally don't think there's anyone left who I haven't tried to engage with so I feel like making new friends is not an option, at least not for now. I think maybe I should approach the subject, without insulting her if possible. I should at least give her a chance to change before severing ties I think, she doesn't know it annoys me you see.
Original post by daviem
Iv'e really tried to make new friends, I literally don't think there's anyone left who I haven't tried to engage with so I feel like making new friends is not an option, at least not for now. I think maybe I should approach the subject, without insulting her if possible. I should at least give her a chance to change before severing ties I think, she doesn't know it annoys me you see.

You run the risk of ending up with no company though - because she will just deny it and be dramatic!
Reply 30
Original post by Smonnie
You run the risk of ending up with no company though - because she will just deny it and be dramatic!

I'm quite proud haha, I think I'd rather not have any friends and not let this problem simmer any longer.
Original post by daviem
I'm quite proud haha, I think I'd rather not have any friends and not let this problem simmer any longer.

I think it will make you more unhappy, at least in the short term.

If I were you, I would try to involve myself more with other acquaintances. So do little things like sitting with other people at lunch, asking to tag along on shopping trips or cinema visits or whatever it might be, do work with people in the library.

At first, it might feel to you like you're 'forcing' your company on them. But the nice ones won't mind, and will get used to you being around.

Always have a back up plan! It's not nice to feel completely alone all the time - even if you don't mind solitude some of the time.
Reply 32
Original post by Smonnie
I think it will make you more unhappy, at least in the short term.

If I were you, I would try to involve myself more with other acquaintances. So do little things like sitting with other people at lunch, asking to tag along on shopping trips or cinema visits or whatever it might be, do work with people in the library.

At first, it might feel to you like you're 'forcing' your company on them. But the nice ones won't mind, and will get used to you being around.

Always have a back up plan! It's not nice to feel completely alone all the time - even if you don't mind solitude some of the time.

yeah I think I'll try that, nothing to lose! Thanks.
Original post by daviem
yeah I think I'll try that, nothing to lose! Thanks.

The only reason I say this, is because if you alienate this best friend, however annoying she is, you will find yourself feeling at a real loose end during free time, and wishing for any company, however irritating!
Original post by daviem
The problem is I don't know how to talk to her about it without offending her. I really don't. Also, with the making new friends thing, I'm just not sure it's realistic, I feel like I've exhausted all my options haha. I reckon talking to her might be the best thing though because I really don't know how much more I can stand, so would you have any more advice on how to go about that?

Well I wouldn't outright say how you actually feel, i.e. you think that she's doing everything for attention. Although you'd be telling her how you feel, it might hurt her hearing that and thus might affect your feiendship.

Maybe say you've noticed that things are getting worse, like with the panic attacks and also her constantly putting herself down and ask her what's wrong and if there's anything you could help her with? That might open things up for you.

Friends are also hard to make, it's not easy. Even start small chat with a few people in class.
Reply 35
Talk to her. Tell her how you feel and see how she replies. If she doesn't want to change and it bothers you, move on.
Original post by daviem
Hmmm, the problem is though, I really, really struggle to make friends. I get bullied quite a lot (not so more now as before, however), and prior to sort of the past year and a half, I've never really had one friend, people just never seemed to like me much. I found that makes me feel really lonely, so I'm sort of feeling in the 'beggars can't be choosers' situation.

I was also bullied when I was younger, but that doesn't mean you'll never have any more friends apart from that one person! You never know what might happen if you at least try!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending