The Student Room Group

Cambridge HSPS Hopefuls

Scroll to see replies

Original post by fluzzles98
I had mine yesterday and I t was much more relaxed than I thought and you can tell they are looking to push your thinking further and see how you work :smile: one of my interviews was based around current affairs and my essay and the other was more focused on things I had written in my personal statement.. Hope that helps :biggrin:

Did they ask anything about the SAQ? What types of questions do they ask about personal statement - do they pick up on specific books you mention?
Original post by MaryBerry
I applied to King's and my interests revolve around social anthropology and IR. I'm an international applicant...can't wait to visit Cambridge ☺️

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ooh nice, yes it is very pretty there :smile: where are you from then? And when is your interview?

Original post by jessicaknowles
Did they ask anything about the SAQ? What types of questions do they ask about personal statement - do they pick up on specific books you mention?

Nope, nothing about the SAQ. In terms of my PS, they asked about my EPQ and a quote I put in which led onto many other questions :smile: they didn't pick up on the specific books but I mentioned them a couple of times anyway
Hey guys! I have a question that's really bothering me. Do you have the impression that HSPS takes a more scientific, quantitative and mathematical approach to things or more of a social sciencey- thematic approach like in history? I had two mock interviews, and one of them was very social sciencey. I had one today and the mock interviewers insisted that I take more of a mathematical approach to the political questions they were asking me. I was kind of taken aback because they didn't want anything akin to what you might say in the humanities and told me I needed to isolate independent events and look at independant/dependant/control variables for politics. I always thought it was more of a thematic thing since even though it's called human social and political science, the individual modules like international relations don't tend to be that scientific, leaning more towards political philosophy and what not. By the way, I'm thinking of the International Relations and Social Anthropology Track.

Anyway, I would love to hear your thoughts
Original post by kasiacheng
Hey guys! I have a question that's really bothering me. Do you have the impression that HSPS takes a more scientific, quantitative and mathematical approach to things or more of a social sciencey- thematic approach like in history? I had two mock interviews, and one of them was very social sciencey. I had one today and the mock interviewers insisted that I take more of a mathematical approach to the political questions they were asking me. I was kind of taken aback because they didn't want anything akin to what you might say in the humanities and told me I needed to isolate independent events and look at independant/dependant/control variables for politics. I always thought it was more of a thematic thing since even though it's called human social and political science, the individual modules like international relations don't tend to be that scientific, leaning more towards political philosophy and what not. By the way, I'm thinking of the International Relations and Social Anthropology Track.

In my first mock interview I was told to consider different variables affecting issues, but wasn't explicitly told to take a scientific approach. It's probably best to go with what you feel comfortable with in the interview and what you think best expresses your style of thought. Personally, I much prefer the approach taken in history. I'm thinking of the sociology and politics track, and some sociological studies do take a similar approach to psychological studies which do identify independent/dependent variables

Honestly, I don't think it would be especially important to take the scientific approach with independent/dependent/control, especially as mock interviews can be very different from actual interviews. They're more helpful in making you feel more comfortable in the setting and avoiding silly mistakes in the real interview

Not sure if this helped, but it's probably best to go with whatever you feel comfortable and confident in :smile:
Original post by kasiacheng

I have a friend I met with a few months ago who's third year HSPS. He took the IR track and he informed me that he's had to work with virtually no data or stats for his time on the course. Made me feel a lot more comfortable. I imagine sociology would have slightly more emphasis on variables and quantitative research, but I'm pretty sure if you want you can take a more qualitative approach. Hope this helps, good luck!
Could I ask which college you interviewed at?
Original post by paulmardee
Could I ask which college you interviewed at?

Mine was at St. Catharines
Mine was at St. Catharines

How did you prepare? Did they ask you any absurd questions that you couldn't answer?
How did you prepare? Did they ask you any absurd questions that you couldn't answer?

I read over my personal statement and essay, reread the books from my ps and kept up to date with the news mostly :smile: there was one question that was more difficult to answer but I was able to give an answer to all of them

Posted from TSR Mobile
I read over my personal statement and essay, reread the books from my ps and kept up to date with the news mostly :smile: there was one question that was more difficult to answer but I was able to give an answer to all of them

Posted from TSR Mobile

May I ask what you got at GCSE/AS?
May I ask what you got at GCSE/AS?

Yeah sure although my stats aren't great at all haha.. 4A*s, 5As, 2Bs at GCSE and AABC at AS with A*AA predictions :smile: wbu?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah sure although my stats aren't great at all haha.. 4A*s, 5As, 2Bs at GCSE and AABC at AS with A*AA predictions :smile: wbu?

Posted from TSR Mobile

We're pretty much the same!! 5A*5A at GCSE; AAAB at AS (av. 92.6); Predicted A*A*A* - what was your AS average? Not feeling v confident for the interview aha
We're pretty much the same!! 5A*5A at GCSE; AAAB at AS (av. 92.6); Predicted A*A*A* - what was your AS average? Not feeling v confident for the interview aha

Omg everyone else's are so much better than mine hahah! My UMS average was in the low 80s (can't remember exactly) hahah so bad, I honestly have no idea how I got an interview
Which college have you applied to? And when's your interview? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Omg everyone else's are so much better than mine hahah! My UMS average was in the low 80s (can't remember exactly) hahah so bad, I honestly have no idea how I got an interview
Which college have you applied to? And when's your interview? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Queens' - Friday ... So scared!! Although, I'm pretty sure I won't get in aha
Queens' - Friday ... So scared!! Although, I'm pretty sure I won't get in aha

Aww haha I'm sure you'll be fine!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Aww haha I'm sure you'll be fine!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Haha hope so!! Any advice for nerves??
Haha hope so!! Any advice for nerves??

Hmm I was quite nervous myself ngl but once you get in there, it becomes a lot easier to relax :smile: the worst part for me was being in the waiting room haha! It gets better after that

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hmm I was quite nervous myself ngl but once you get in there, it becomes a lot easier to relax :smile: the worst part for me was being in the waiting room haha! It gets better after that

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you!! Dreading it aha, how come yours was so early!??
Thank you!! Dreading it aha, how come yours was so early!??

I have no idea haha but I know that's when a lot of other people had theirs (at Catz anyway haha :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I have no idea haha but I know that's when a lot of other people had theirs (at Catz anyway haha :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Fair enough!! At least it's out the way, did you just have one interview??

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending