The Student Room Group

How long till my antibiotics work??

I wear pretty sharp false nails and one day last week I accidentally scratched the skin of of my vagina, just under the clit and above the hole, so it got infected and I went to see the doctor who gave me antibiotics (flucloxicillin 500mg caps) this was last Thursday and I have been taking the antibiotics since, 3 days later I feel just as bad and it doesn't even look like it's working or feel like it's working either, how long till i start to see/feel effects, it is agony to touch and to urinate and to even sit down and not to mention it's so itchy, I just want it away, should I go back to the gp? Or will my antibiotics eventually kick in?
Definitely keep taking the antibiotics, as stopping a course of antibiotics before the time is due leads to antibiotics resistance.
However if you've noticed no change then yes I recommend going back to your GP, it could be that the antibiotics you are on are ineffective to the bacteria you are infected with.
I agree. Finish typed course of antibiotics. And if it doesn't work then go back to you gp. Wear cotton underwear to keep it airy and avoid tight clothing
Original post by study_smart786
I agree. Finish typed course of antibiotics. And if it doesn't work then go back to you gp. Wear cotton underwear to keep it airy and avoid tight clothing

The OP started their course of antibiotics three years ago. I imagine they’ve finished them by now.
If no improvement after 48 hours, see your gp. It may be they will need to give you metronidazole which may be more effective in the genital area, due to the bugs that linger there!
If you are feverish, or there is a smell, go now
Original post by warbis66
If no improvement after 48 hours, see your gp. It may be they will need to give you metronidazole which may be more effective in the genital area, due to the bugs that linger there!
If you are feverish, or there is a smell, go now

OOps, how did that appear on here then!
Original post by LBotLa
antibiotics cause autism

Where is your peer reviewed proof???
Reply 7
Original post by Aaaab17
I wear pretty sharp false nails and one day last week I accidentally scratched the skin of of my vagina, just under the clit and above the hole, so it got infected and I went to see the doctor who gave me antibiotics (flucloxicillin 500mg caps) this was last Thursday and I have been taking the antibiotics since, 3 days later I feel just as bad and it doesn't even look like it's working or feel like it's working either, how long till i start to see/feel effects, it is agony to touch and to urinate and to even sit down and not to mention it's so itchy, I just want it away, should I go back to the gp? Or will my antibiotics eventually kick in?

within a few days if you take the as prescribed if no improvement after 7 days go back to your doctor