The Student Room Group

Contemporary youth culture and sub-culture

Hi, I'm currently doing research into current youth cultures and their identity. I was just wondering what are your opinions on current youth culture and do you feel like the term sub-culture is outmoded (out dated) to describe current youth culture? If so how would you describe current youth culture?
Thanks!! :smile:
Surely there are sub-cultures within youth culture?
The phrase 'Youth culture' feels weird in and of itself. You're not going to get many responses using that terminology.

Young people are a very fluid and ever changing group and therefore hard to study. Yes there are technically 'Sub Cultures' but I don't think any are as rigidly defined as 'punk' and 'mod' etc back in the day (although those probably still exist).

The one thing that brings the majority of todays youth together is disillusion. Nobody has a clue what the government is doing and if they do they're (mostly) disgraced at what the government are doing. British culture of old doesn't really connect with the young people of today and it's not really something tangible that you can put your finger on.

Young people care more about celebrities than politicians. Fact.

YouTube is a huge influencer now.

You'd be better just asking young people what they care about than objectively studying them from the outside as 'youth culture' - It feels condescending
Reply 3
Ok, thank you for responses. Yes sub-cultures can be within youth culture but both are different. I will take your opinions on board! Also I would like to know if you feel like thereis no longer a necessity to communicate through clothes anymore just throughsocial media?
Original post by FayeFaye276
Ok, thank you for responses. Yes sub-cultures can be within youth culture but both are different. I will take your opinions on board! Also I would like to know if you feel like thereis no longer a necessity to communicate through clothes anymore just throughsocial media?

through clothes?
Reply 5
Sub-cultures often communicate their beliefs and values through clothing. Now we have access to the internet and we can broadcast our beliefs and values online. Has led to the decline in showcasing our beliefs and values through clothing?
:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending