The Student Room Group

Assad mocks Cameron and says air strikes will fail

After the vote to go to war in Syria, Assad has spoken out against RAF airstrikes and called them illegal and 'detrimental to anti-terror operations being undertaken by his regime' and then going on to mock Dave's ME policy as a classical farce. Assad has already reiterated that airstrikes alone won't do much to combat ISIS unless there's co-operation with forces on the ground.

What do y'all think?

Scroll to see replies

I agree with Assad.

Air strikes only work (well) when combined with communication with ground forces.
Reply 2
Yeah, well I don't think the strikes will fail completely as such, but they may be ineffective given how much taxpayers money will be invested in this over the coming years. But personally, if innocent people are killed, then in my eyes the motion is deemed more of a failure, that's just not right. In today's world, the battle should be fought online - propaganda is way more of a threat. If you're gonna destroy ISIS, you have to destroy it's online presence, it's ideology.
(edited 8 years ago)
Agreed. Didn't Britain just drop a bomb on some of his forces? :colonhash: Thought they were there for ISIS?
Reply 4
Well of course they'll fail.
Anyone with half a brain knows that.
Reply 5
Original post by HAnwar
Well of course they'll fail.
Anyone with half a brain knows that.

Define 'fail', the point is not to defeat ISIS, but to help out our coalition partners.
Reply 6
Original post by demx9
Define 'fail', the point is not to defeat ISIS, but to help out our coalition partners.

Fail to wipe out daesh which was the aim.
Reply 7
Amusing that he singles us out when there a great deal of other countries also dropping things that go bang.
Reply 8
Original post by Illiberal Liberal

Air strikes only work (well) when combined with communication with ground forces.

And clearly airstrikes have worked very well in the fight against ISIL in Iraq.

It is also clear that striking ISIL oilfields in Syria will help the fight we have in Iraq by degrading and weakening the group.
Reply 9
Original post by HAnwar
Fail to wipe out daesh which was the aim.

It never was the aim tho ..
Reply 10
Original post by queen-bee
After the vote to go to war in Syria, Assad has spoken out against RAF airstrikes and called them illegal and 'detrimental to anti-terror operations being undertaken by his regime' and then going on to mock Dave's ME policy as a classical farce. Assad has already reiterated that airstrikes alone won't do much to combat ISIS unless there's co-operation with forces on the ground.

What do y'all think?

Airstrikes are making a difference. I agree with the Kurds; airstrikes have been tremendously useful in rolling back ISIL in Iraq. ISIL has lost 30% of its territory in Iraq, and Western airpower has been very helpful assisting the Kurds to retake Sinjar and cutting off Highway 47 which joined Mosul and Raqqa.

The areas where ISIL has been growing are the fronts it has facing the Syrian government, which is not our responsibility. In the areas where ISIL faces our partners, the Iraqi government and Kurds, we have had significant successes.

The strategy is that the Vienna talks will lead to a political transition to a democratic post-Assad Syria. In the meantime, it makes no sense simply to leave ISIL alone as the far left claims we should. The airstrikes have been quite effective in that 23,000 ISIL members have been killed, by contrast we only know of about 400 civilians who were accidentally killed in airstrikes in the first year.

How many civilians would those 23,000 ISIL members have killed? Likely a hell of a lot more than 400. So those who are saying we should cease all airstrikes are not proposing to save civilian lives, their proposal would lead to many more civilian deaths. It's just that they would be at ISIL's hands, rather than the occasional mistake in the Western air campaign.
Reply 11
Russia, Iran and Syria are fighting terrorists

We just heard that coalition airstrikes have killed 3 Syrian soldiers! not ****ing ISIS.

When will people wake up all they want to do is defeat Syria's army so that terrorism is allowed to fully take over the region
Reply 12
Original post by demx9
It never was the aim tho ..

I'm sure it was...
Reply 13
Original post by l'ennemi
Russia, Iran and Syria are fighting terrorists

We just heard that coalition airstrikes have killed 3 Syrian soldiers! not ****ing ISIS.

When will people wake up all they want to do is defeat Syria's army so that terrorism is allowed to fully take over the region

The U.S. denies that, still unconfirmed

Original post by HAnwar
I'm sure it was...

The aim is to weaken ISIS, so the "moderate" rebels can defeat them on the ground
Reply 14
Original post by Bill_Gates
Agreed. Didn't Britain just drop a bomb on some of his forces? :colonhash: Thought they were there for ISIS?

Assad then goes on to praise Russia and says they care about the region. He just wants control of Syria again,****ing khanzeer
Reply 15
Original post by Illiberal Liberal
I agree with Assad.

So what do we do in the meantime? Halt everything?
Reply 16

I think Assad is scared too for himself
Original post by queen-bee
Assad then goes on to praise Russia and says they care about the region. He just wants control of Syria again,****ing khanzeer

Well what would YOU like to happen?

after our conversation yesterday............... :tongue:
Reply 18
Well what would YOU like to happen?

after our conversation yesterday............... :tongue:

You know what I want/well anything that's best for my people even if that means Assad in power
Reply 19
Original post by demx9
The U.S. denies that, still unconfirmed

The aim is to weaken ISIS, so the "moderate" rebels can defeat them on the ground

The same 'moderate' western backed rebels who had members go an join ISIS?

Quick Reply

Latest