The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

2016 Durham University hopefuls

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Snasher350
Can I just ask what is Durham like in your opinion?
I am slightly apprehensive as I have heard that, excluding the castle, the place is not that great?

I agree with Dylann that it's absoklutely amazing :biggrin:
I've honestly had such a good time here, and wouldn't want to be anywhere else (although many people ofc feel this about their universities).
Durham was my insurance and I remember dreading having to go there on results day, but two days in I was even HAPPY that I had missed my firm offer just because of how much I liked it here!
There are, of course, many that don't feel the same way that I do, and sometimes that's just the way. If you were to give me an example of something you've heard isn't that good about Durham, I could try to debunk anything I would disagree with?
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Original post by gtown
Have an offer for physics I got this evening - any other physicists here? :smile:

I'm a first year physicist so feel free to ask me any questions you may have! :smile:
Original post by cerlohee
I agree with Dylann that it's absoklutely amazing :biggrin:
I've honestly had such a good time here, and wouldn't want to be anywhere else (although many people ofc feel this about their universities).
Durham was my insurance and I remember dreading having to go there on results day, but two days in I was even HAPPY that I had missed my firm offer just because of how much I liked it here!
There are, of course, many that don't feel the same way that I do, and sometimes that's just the way. If you were to give me an example of something you've heard isn't that good about Durham, I could try to debunk anything I would disagree with?

Do you think that there are more-than-average public school students (Eton, Westminster and the lot)? I heard that somewhere and was quite worried... I'm not from any school remotely comparable ^.^"

Also, how's the weather? I heard that it was quite cold and gloomy a lot of the time :s-smilie:

I think Durham would be my definite insurance choice (that is if I get an offer from my first choice), and still I'd be really happy to go there. What was your firm offer that you missed if that's not rude to ask?
Original post by gtown
Have an offer for physics I got this evening - any other physicists here? :smile:

Awesome! What were your UMS?
Hi I'm wondering if they'd give me an offer even though my AS grades weren't too high and my predicted A level grades fall 1 grade short of their pharmacy requirements ?
Just got a conditional offer for Theology :smile: IB: 36 points
Original post by cyril1448
Offer!!!!! Chemistry (Industrial) offer AA since I already achieved an A* in maths. So excited. University college

Congrats!! When did you apply ? :smile:
Original post by mazzaion
Do you think that there are more-than-average public school students (Eton, Westminster and the lot)? I heard that somewhere and was quite worried... I'm not from any school remotely comparable ^.^"

Also, how's the weather? I heard that it was quite cold and gloomy a lot of the time :s-smilie:

I think Durham would be my definite insurance choice (that is if I get an offer from my first choice), and still I'd be really happy to go there. What was your firm offer that you missed if that's not rude to ask?

Yeah there are, but usually it's very hard to tell! I assumed loads of my state school friends went to leading private schools when I first met them, and also thought that my friend that went to eton went to a state school at first. It really isn't an issue.

The weather is quite cold and gloomy, yeah! But you get used to it. It's turned me from a sun lover to someone who get's annoyed with the slightest ray of sunshine :tongue:

I missed a Cambridge offer for natural sciences and now I study physics!
Yeah there are, but usually it's very hard to tell! I assumed loads of my state school friends went to leading private schools when I first met them, and also thought that my friend that went to eton went to a state school at first. It really isn't an issue.

The weather is quite cold and gloomy, yeah! But you get used to it. It's turned me from a sun lover to someone who get's annoyed with the slightest ray of sunshine :tongue:

I missed a Cambridge offer for natural sciences and now I study physics!

Are u happy with Durham then? I know one guy who just left my sixth form who's loving Durham rn and he got rejected from Oxford

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by longsightdon
Are u happy with Durham then? I know one guy who just left my sixth form who's loving Durham rn and he got rejected from Oxford

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah so so happy! Having the best time :smile: No way would my sanity be able to cope with the cambridge workload!!
Yeah so so happy! Having the best time :smile: No way would my sanity be able to cope with the cambridge workload!!

What's the workload like at Durham?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by longsightdon
What's the workload like at Durham?

Posted from TSR Mobile

It is still really high but you can easily find ways to balance staying on top of work, extracurriculars and having a social life if you'e careful! I don't think it's as easy to do at oxbridge, however.
Unconditional for Liberal Arts!! American dual citizen, live in the States. Sent in my application 3 weeks ago :smile:
any other historians? got my offer on Wednesday, really didn't expect to hear so quickly but my application was sent quite early
Original post by gtown

Congrats! May I ask when you submitted your application?
Reply 1035
Hi has anyone heard from PPE yet? :smile:
Reply 1036
Original post by amymcm11
any other historians? got my offer on Wednesday, really didn't expect to hear so quickly but my application was sent quite early

Historian! But haven't heard from them yet :frown:
Original post by instn
Historian! But haven't heard from them yet :frown:

same here! hoping for a response soon :s-smilie: hang in there guys!
Original post by shimzo
Hi has anyone heard from PPE yet? :smile:

Im waiting too, so annoyed- when did you apply?
Original post by amymcm11

I've applied for History but I haven't heard anything back yet :frown: I applied a while ago as well! Should I be worrying yet?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest