The Student Room Group

Architecture 2016 Entry Applications and Offers

Scroll to see replies

Reply 220
Original post by Lookatthismeme
how long after getting an offer do you have to submit your portfolio? thanks :smile:

Offers are based on portfolios. If you've already got an offer then you wont be asked to submit a portfolio.
Hi there, I'm a first year architecture student in Sheffield. Courses vary a lot based on different unis, Cambridge= History, Bath=Engineering, UCL=Art, Sheffield= working with the site and client, more like social sciencey. Currently, I have three lectures a week, one in humanities (culture and history in depth), one in Environment and climate (Geography stuff in relationship with building design and sustainability) and one in Technology and Material. In the design studio part, we start from a more creative abstract point to understand the area in sheffield and your room, and the emotion and spacial idea behind it. Now we are in a project called community kitchen where we have an actual derelict site in the city centre to survey, and to design a structure for any communal use, based on the urban analysis of the surrounding area (client, climate, sunlight, wind, funding etc) which makes your design brief. So it is pretty much feeling like working in a project associating with real issues. We have projects which is group based, and gradually individual, and we have the vice versa. We also have workshops every week on either photoshop, technical drawing and other softwares. Defo come to open day coz it helps to make decisions. We are in the arts tower which has a paternoster lift and is the tallest uni building in the UK) (look pretty smart too) I initially intended to go to UCL but I chose Sheffield at last because the sense of student community it has is much better than London. (no.1 for student union) So it really depends if you want to live in a student city or living in more of a 'real life business busy city' really. Student House Rent is also cheaper in Sheffield is around 80-90 per week per person but in London it is above 200. Hope that helps x
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Joe1.618
Help! Nottingham have asked for a PDF portfolio , but it says it should be between 15 and 20 images. Does this mean between 15 and 20 pieces of work or 15 and 20 pages??? Like can I just make a page with multiple images on, then screenshot it as one image?? thank you to anyone who replies

Hi, I am a first year Sheffield student and I had that question before last year when I applied to Nottingham. I emailed them as well and it means images. (but you can have several little pieces in a photo if they are a little group which tells a story. Otherwise individual pieces count as one image :smile: hope that helps.
Original post by miss.eleanora
I had to wait a month after I submitted my portfolio to Sheffield to get an offer (:

Approximately how long did you wait for Sheffield to request your portfolio after submitting your ucas application?
Thank you.
Original post by WHITBYGIRL5
Approximately how long did you wait for Sheffield to request your portfolio after submitting your ucas application?
Thank you.

I sent off my application on 6/11/14, got the request 2 or 3 days later. I sent it off to sheffield on 3/12/14 and got the offer on 8/12/14. But sometimes it takes a while :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by WHITBYGIRL5
Thank you.

I waited a few hours (:
Unconditional from Nottingham yayay x:banana2:
Hi everyone :smile:

So I just sent off my UCAS today (I know it's a bit late lol)
I applied to:
UCL
Manchester
Sheffield
Newcastle
Kent

My IB predicted is 38 so their requirements are all below my predicted, but I know that they still take into account that we are submitting a portfolio (which I'm still working on). I was just wondering, how soon should I expect to get offers? And how long do they give you to submit your portfolio? I really want to make it as strong as possible...

Also, I know some universities send additional tasks to be done, if any of mine do can someone pls tell me which ones and what the task is (if each student gets the exact same task, that is)? I'd love to get a head start haha :smile:

Thanks for your time and good luck to all the applicants :smile:
Original post by Gabss1712

That's great, congratulations! May I ask what your academics are like so that they can give you an unconditional? Or do you think it was your portfolio?

Reply 229

wow congratulations that's brilliant!! Might I ask what your predicted grades are and your AS grades achieved?:smile:
Original post by sherifshehata
That's great, congratulations! May I ask what your academics are like so that they can give you an unconditional? Or do you think it was your portfolio?

Thank you!! ☺️ I can't remember what they said about other qualifications but when I went to the open day they said if you've achieved As and A*s at GCSE as well as at least 3 As at AS then they'll give you an unconditional ☺️ Which I got..So I think it works on the basis of your previous achievements, but i know the portfolio is very important so I'm sure they took that into consideration too when giving the offer.. best of luck with your application!!
Original post by cowie
wow congratulations that's brilliant!! Might I ask what your predicted grades are and your AS grades achieved?:smile:

Haha Thanks!! :h: I got 3 As and a B and am predicted A*AA
Reply 232
Haha Thanks!! :h: I got 3 As and a B and am predicted A*AA

Ah that's brilliant! - well done:smile:
You gonna take it up?? - where else are you applying?/have offers/interviews to?
Reply 233
Original post by RubyPRoberts
Has anyone had any offers from UAL, Falmouth, LSBU or Reading??

I got an offer from LSBU after 3 days.
Original post by sherifshehata

So I just sent off my UCAS today (I know it's a bit late lol)
I applied to:
UCL
Manchester
Sheffield
Newcastle
Kent

My IB predicted is 38 so their requirements are all below my predicted, but I know that they still take into account that we are submitting a portfolio (which I'm still working on). I was just wondering, how soon should I expect to get offers? And how long do they give you to submit your portfolio? I really want to make it as strong as possible...

Also, I know some universities send additional tasks to be done, if any of mine do can someone pls tell me which ones and what the task is (if each student gets the exact same task, that is)? I'd love to get a head start haha :smile:

Thanks for your time and good luck to all the applicants :smile:

I sent off my application on 6/11/14, got the portfolio requests in a short period of time. Portfolio of sheffield one is that they ask for 10 pages and a page which is based on the task with a 400 word description. UCL asks for task with 6 drawings, 1min,5min, 15min, 30min,1hr,4hr. Newcastle asked for 8 images. I sent it off to sheffield on 3/12/14 and got the offer on 8/12/14. UCL offered me an interview in February afterwards. Newcastle offered me a place on 21/12/14. Manchester did not send me a portfolio request until january when I have already got offers from Sheffield, Newcastle, Nottingham. (plus it requires me to open a blog and write 400 words on why i want to study there LOL) so I declined the application straight away. This actually happened to a lot of my friends in sheffield and they declined it as well haha. I believe the task is different each year, for UCL you can choose or combine 3 options. For Sheffield, you have a fixed one, mine was 'My street' so I used my drawing to talk about the social science. My advice to you as a Sheffield Student is....SHEFFIELD LOVES SOCIAL SCIENCE STUFF, so try to think about it when you do the task. Portfolio for UCL and sheffield are particularly important. Where Newcastle is really easy to get an offer. If I were you, I would make UCL and sheffield my top consideration. :smile: hope that helps. x
Original post by cowie
Ah that's brilliant! - well done:smile:
You gonna take it up?? - where else are you applying?/have offers/interviews to?

Thank youuu! and i might consider it because it's definitely one of my favourites :smile: I've also got an offer from Kent and Newcastle, still waiting on Sheffield and Edinburgh though lol, what about you? How's your application going?
Reply 236
Thank youuu! and i might consider it because it's definitely one of my favourites :smile: I've also got an offer from Kent and Newcastle, still waiting on Sheffield and Edinburgh though lol, what about you? How's your application going?

Currently got offers to Kent (AAB) and Nottingham (AAB)
Sent off portfolio for Sheffield on 11/11/15 so should (hopefully) be hearing from them soon!
Also awaiting UCL for a response - sent off the task on 20/11/15.

In order I'd probably put them, UCL - Sheffield - Kent - Nottingham (favourite - least) however I would be more than happy to go to any of them!:smile:

I now know 2 people who have been given an interview to Cambridge and rejected from Sheffield which I find a tad odd... UCL has 14 applicants per place... Didn't realise till now just how competitive they are!
Has anyone who sent off their UCL task off for the 20/11/15 heard anything back from them yet?

So I sent off my UCAS yesterday and I receive 'acknowledgement' emails from UCL, Manchester, Kent and Sheffield and created portal accounts for Kent and UCL (Manchester and Sheffield didn't mention portals in their emails). I also applied to Newcastle but I haven't heard from them yet.

I assume architecture isn't like other courses where you get an offer straight away. Will all my universities ask for portfolios or can any of them give me offers without asking to submit a portfolio? If anyone can answer from experience that would be great.

I assume it goes portfolio -> interview (for some) -> offer? Are there any that give offers straight away?

Thanks
Not necessarily, I've received two offers without a request for portfolio etc, however I'm predicted A*A* in art which may influence things

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending