The Student Room Group

Geoscience & Geology 2016

Scroll to see replies

How did everyone's first interviews go? Do not post questions that you got asked though, because there are more interviews tomorrow, just in general...
Original post by Mathematicus65
How did everyone's first interviews go? Do not post questions that you got asked though, because there are more interviews tomorrow, just in general...

How was yours?
Original post by Plagioclase
How was yours?

Average.. I would give myself 5/10. I answered some questions really well, 1 poorly and 1 awfully (but this question was with regards to Biology and since I do not do Biology the interviewer said not to worry) I don't think I did myself justice, but I have another opportunity tomorrow, and my academic record should give me a little bit of leeway provided I have at least a 7/10 tomorrow.
(edited 8 years ago)
Average.. I would give myself 5/10. I answered some questions really well, 1 poorly and 1 awfully (but this question was with regards to Biology and since I do not do Biology the interviewer said not to worry) I don't think I did myself justice, but I have another opportunity tomorrow, and my academic record should give me a little bit of leeway provided I have at least a 7/10 tomorrow.

Hah, I also had a dodgy biology question in my first interview. Hope you're happier with tomorrow's interview :smile:
Hello everyone!
I hope your interviews went fine :smile:
Hit me up if you're done with your interviews? We can discuss general stuff, maybe?
Are all the interviews done now?
Are all the interviews done now?

I believe so, assuming that no one got a third interview.
Just out of interest what is everyone's AS grades and predicted grades please? (Oxford applicants) I was wondering what the sort of standard acceptance was in terms of academic performance..
Just out of interest what is everyone's AS grades and predicted grades please? (Oxford applicants) I was wondering what the sort of standard acceptance was in terms of academic performance..

Just FYI, you've put yourself down as a 2015 applicant rather than a 2016 applicant in University Connect.
Just FYI, you've put yourself down as a 2015 applicant rather than a 2016 applicant in University Connect.

Oops I'll change it ..
Interviews went okay, great experience though! The questions were most definitely stretching ..
Reply 291
What were some of the questions asked; coming from someone who does Geology at A2
Reply 292

What board do you do for Geology?
Imperial has arranged a Skype interview on Monday pertaining to my admission in Petroleum Geosciences,, what they suppose to ask in it?
i am having interview on monday but for imperial in MSc Petroleum Geosciences
I studied biology and maths at AS and I've carried on with chemistry and geology at A2 and I have still managed to receive all 5 offers (including a course which was an integrated masters).
I've had offers for Plymouth, Hull, two for Derby and South Wales for geology.
I have accepted University of Derby as my firm to study geology with environmental hazards and University of South Wales as my insurance to study geology.
I put all details of the offers I was given on university connect if you want to see those exactly!
Reply 296
Original post by yasmincolexx
I studied biology and maths at AS and I've carried on with chemistry and geology at A2 and I have still managed to receive all 5 offers (including a course which was an integrated masters).
I've had offers for Plymouth, Hull, two for Derby and South Wales for geology.
I have accepted University of Derby as my firm to study geology with environmental hazards and University of South Wales as my insurance to study geology.
I put all details of the offers I was given on university connect if you want to see those exactly!

Just out of interest, why didn't you accept Plymouth as a firm or insurance?
Original post by Xetter
Just out of interest, why didn't you accept Plymouth as a firm or insurance?

The minute I visited Derby I knew it was 'the one'. If I hadn't have liked Derby so much Plymouth would have 100% been my firm (on a side note I actually applied for the wrong course at Plymouth... I meant to apply for a BSc not a MGeol). I also didn't accept it as my insurance as it wanted 320 points which was my highest offer and due to the anxiety and stress I feel at exam time I thought it was much safer to have a lower offer for my insurance.
Reply 298
Original post by yasmincolexx
The minute I visited Derby I knew it was 'the one'. If I hadn't have liked Derby so much Plymouth would have 100% been my firm (on a side note I actually applied for the wrong course at Plymouth... I meant to apply for a BSc not a MGeol). I also didn't accept it as my insurance as it wanted 320 points which was my highest offer and due to the anxiety and stress I feel at exam time I thought it was much safer to have a lower offer for my insurance.

Ahh okay, that makes sense! I didnt visit Derby and not you're making me regret not having done so haha. I intend to use Plymouth as my insurance but having done two science subjects they lowered my conditions to 300, instead of 320.

Good luck!
Original post by Xetter
Ahh okay, that makes sense! I didnt visit Derby and not you're making me regret not having done so haha. I intend to use Plymouth as my insurance but having done two science subjects they lowered my conditions to 300, instead of 320.

Good luck!

I was quite surprised that I liked Derby, I'm not usually into the feel of modern universities but I just loved the vibe there. Yeah I was doing more science subjects but situations around exam time led to me not doing quite as well as I hoped so I ended up dropping two

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending