The Student Room Group

What martial art is best for a woman?

----
(edited 4 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Hi!
I'm a girl and i've recently taken up Judo, It's great for me as it doesn't actually require that much strength and fitness to begin with as it's all about causing someone to fall using their own weight and loss of balance, I really recommend it, it's very fun :smile:
Original post by Ubergooose
Hi!
I'm a girl and i've recently taken up Judo, It's great for me as it doesn't actually require that much strength and fitness to begin with as it's all about causing someone to fall using their own weight and loss of balance, I really recommend it, it's very fun :smile:

Thank you, Ubergooose; how intense does Judo get in terms of exercise?
All! We can do all dammit, let's go!!

Jujitsu!

Taekwondo!

Pencak Silat!

Judo!

Kung-fu!

Wushu!

Shorin Ryu karate!

Wado ryu karate!

****o ryu karate! :erm: censored? Pronounced Sheeto...

Goju ryu karate!

Boxing!

Wrestling!

Fencing!

Streetfighting :erm:

Sumo as well! I've seen female sumo! :eek:

I do not want to learn aikido. Looks like rolling and slapping but I suppose it's better than nothing...
It doesn't actually require that much strength and fitness to begin with as it's all about causing someone to fall using their own weight and loss of balance :smile:

You can't save the world with that...not really. But I strongly believe everyone should learn a form of Oriental martial arts. It's not just about kicking someone's ass, but it's clearly a healthy, fulfilling, securing way of life.
Original post by Maggie_O
All! We can do all dammit, let's go!!

Jujitsu!

Taekwondo!

Pencak Silat!

Judo!

Kung-fu!

Wushu!

Shorin Ryu karate!

Wado ryu karate!

****o ryu karate! :erm: censored? Pronounced Sheeto...

Goju ryu karate!

Boxing!

Wrestling!

Fencing!

Streetfighting :erm:

Sumo as well! I've seen female sumo! :eek:

I do not want to learn aikido. Looks like rolling and slapping but I suppose it's better than nothing...

Have you actually practised any of these or are you just being daft :tongue:
Reply 6
Honestly, it depends a lot on individual. I'd say Judo, BJJ as they don't require brute strength.

The best way to find out whats the best for you is to go and try them. Most clubs offer a free trial.
How is it daft listing all the types of martial arts you can practice? Is that not what you asked for. I didn't know I had to practice the suggestion. :curious:
Original post by kkboyk
Honestly, it depends a lot on individual. I'd say Judo, BJJ as they don't require brute strength.

The best way to find out whats the best for you is to go and try them. Most clubs offer a free trial.

Why does she being a woman have to go for a martial art that doesn't require strength? :confused:

You're basically suggesting ballet.
How is it daft listing all the types of martial arts you can practice? Is that not what you asked for. I didn't know I had to practice the suggestion. :curious:

I clearly asked in my OP that you had to be practising said martial art that you recommend; that way I would have more of an idea of what I would like and what would be suitable for me.

Giving me a list of martial arts doesn't help me if I can't talk to you about what they are like to study, does it? I would prefer to talk to people who actually have experience with their chosen form of martial art
You can't save the world with that...not really. But I strongly believe everyone should learn a form of Oriental martial arts. It's not just about kicking someone's ass, but it's clearly a healthy, fulfilling, securing way of life.

I'm not saying that a woman can only do something that doesnt require strength, I said specifically for me it was good as me personally, I'm not very strong or fit.
I was simply sharing my experience.
Original post by kkboyk

Am I right in thinking BJJ is mostly groundwork? Do you do any martial arts yourself?
Reply 12
Why does she being a woman have to go for a martial art that doesn't require strength? :confused:

You're basically suggesting ballet.

I didn't really imply that. Just suggesting, as some prefer ones that aren't too strength orientated (if I phrased it correctly).

I've pretty much been beaten by females in all martial arts I've done :tongue:
You're quite rude aren't you? I was merely answering the thread title and referring to your last sentence in the OP. It seemed you didn't even know any martial arts to look up. I've no idea why you want to know a martial arts to practice based on someone else's body and abilities. And none of my comments state nor imply I haven't experienced martial arts.
I'm not saying that a woman can only do something that doesnt require strength, I said specifically for me it was good as me personally, I'm not very strong or fit.
I was simply sharing my experience.

What a defensive bunch we have here today...all I said in the post you're commenting to is that I commend you for practicing something.
It can be very strenuous exercise, My experience is from a small club with a lot of small children so I guess they dial it down a little, but I still feel very tired and worn out by the end of the session. But not so much that i feel i'm going to throw up.

When you get into proper 'fights' it get so tiring though, I've definitely seen an increase in my fitness from doing this.

What i guess im trying to say is that you don't need to be very fit to take it up, you get as much out of it as you put in
You're quite rude aren't you? I was merely answering the thread title and referring to your last sentence in the OP. It seemed you didn't even know any martial arts to look up. I've no idea why you want to know a martial arts to practice based on someone else's body and abilities. And none of my comments state nor imply I haven't experienced martial arts.

I apologise if I came across as rude but if I wanted to look up a list of martial arts I would go on Wikipedia. Can you tell me anything about any of the martial arts listed? Do you have any experience with any sort of martial arts?
I can answer that question:

Yes, it focuses mainly on grappling :h: But it's not softcore in the slightest.
It can be very strenuous exercise, My experience is from a small club with a lot of small children so I guess they dial it down a little, but I still feel very tired and worn out by the end of the session. But not so much that i feel i'm going to throw up.

When you get into proper 'fights' it get so tiring though, I've definitely seen an increase in my fitness from doing this.

What i guess im trying to say is that you don't need to be very fit to take it up, you get as much out of it as you put in

Thank you Ubergooose, your advice is very helpful :smile:

How long have you been practising Judo?
If you're patronizing me, no I can't tell you anything. The purpose of giving a list was saying that being a woman, you can practice any type of ****ing martial arts. I was put off by the title. I didn't know martial arts were gender-specific.

Quick Reply

Latest