The Student Room Group
University of Leicester
University of Leicester
Leicester
Visit website

Why did Leicester drop rankings? (general & compsci)

I'm stuck between accepting either Lincoln or Leicester to study Computer Science. Why did Leicester drop? Will Leicester drop further? Which one to go for? Give me advice?
Leicester is about 20 places higher than Lincoln for CompSci. Leicester also is about 30 ahead overall. I have no idea why you are stuck, I'd go to Leicester.
University of Leicester
University of Leicester
Leicester
Visit website
Reply 2
Well I'm actually at Lincoln right now, but I have an offer to move to Leicester for second year.
Original post by AnswerThis
Well I'm actually at Lincoln right now, but I have an offer to move to Leicester for second year.

Depends if you enjoy Lincoln or not. I wouldn't want the stress of moving to another area, with new people if I enjoyed Lincoln. If you don't enjoy Lincoln, I'd say take the risk and go to Leicester.

Take my advice with a grain of salt though lol. I'm still doing A Levels and plan on going to Lincoln to study Comp Sci (I have an unconditional offer). Do you like the course at Lincoln?
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 4
I don't like the course at Lincoln. But I'm in the process of applying to Kent. I went to an interview the other day and am awaiting to hear back and hoping to get an offer to take first year there next year. If so then I'll drop out here. Their course is a lot more in depth and gets you into bigger companies.
I don't like the course at Lincoln. But I'm in the process of applying to Kent. I went to an interview the other day and am awaiting to hear back and hoping to get an offer to take first year there next year. If so then I'll drop out here. Their course is a lot more in depth and gets you into bigger companies.
That's worrying, can you elaborate on why you don't like the course
Reply 6
I didn't mean to make you worry!
Most the people here love it! They love it greatly! Personally I just don't. We learn C# which I'm not really a fan of as it's a Microsoft language (I'm a Mac user), and I find a lot of it is more slower paced than I'd like. However that would be the same everywhere in the first year as I've covered the content. As a result I just find myself wishing I went to a uni higher in the league tables really. That's the only way I view it. League tables. Lincoln is climbing the tables, and it's a new uni, it's bound to go higher. They're also building the new building which will house the school of computer science which'll be lovely! Right now we are just in the general buildings and lecture theatres with no real central community / home for computer science.
They teach well, the content is (mostly) great. Don't worry. It's just preference and my regret of not doing as well as I aimed to in A levels.
leicester is way better than lincoln and arguably better than some RG universities
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 8
But why did it take such a drop?
But why did it take such a drop?

on what league table
I didn't mean to make you worry!
Most the people here love it! They love it greatly! Personally I just don't. We learn C# which I'm not really a fan of as it's a Microsoft language (I'm a Mac user), and I find a lot of it is more slower paced than I'd like. However that would be the same everywhere in the first year as I've covered the content. As a result I just find myself wishing I went to a uni higher in the league tables really. That's the only way I view it. League tables. Lincoln is climbing the tables, and it's a new uni, it's bound to go higher. They're also building the new building which will house the school of computer science which'll be lovely! Right now we are just in the general buildings and lecture theatres with no real central community / home for computer science.
They teach well, the content is (mostly) great. Don't worry. It's just preference and my regret of not doing as well as I aimed to in A levels.

Ah ok. I'm a bit worried about Employer's views on UoL, even though it's mid table, employers might not know that and assume it's a crap Uni (which it was). Anyways, when's the new School of Computer Science building meant to be finished?
Hey I'm currently going to DMU or Keele for computer science and was wandering if you thought these are still good respectable Unis. I got CCC in my a levels and could take a year and resit to get BBC to get into Leicester uni (they ask for ABB but always accept people with up to BBC anyway) I'm just not sure it's worth it as the margin between the Unis doesn't seem great. many people are saying if it was for finance or economics then yeah resit, but for CS apparently it's all about experience and building a portfolio rather than A levels and a better uni. so it doesn't matter as long as I get a 2:1 at a still respected uni. Any help appreciated, honestly not sure have the will power to resit as getting away from home would do me good, however it would o lay be 2-3 resits and some improving coursework, but another burden would be resitting whole of GCSE maths too as I need an A/Band have a C.
Cheers
(edited 3 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending