The Student Room Group

Common law VS Civil Law

so I was browsing the internet to write an essay for the evolution of the British criminal justice system.
Then I came across these terms.
So my question is: is common law the law practiced by the crown and our legal system? If not WTH is it?
Reply 1
Original post by JohnGreek
Off the top of my head:

Common law is a legal system where laws can be set by precedent (through the judiciary) as well as by statute (through the legislative)
Civil law tends to deal with interpersonal dispute resolution and injuries to specific legal persons (which may include companies and the Crown)

These may not be 100% accurate, so please do check me up on them

Thank you for the concise definition. I understand it kinda better now. don't worry i'll still check :redface:
There is also statute law, where laws are made in parliament.
Civil law is the system of law generally practiced in Europe. Unlike common law which is governed by individual precedents, civil law is where the courts operate within a single, codified body of law and uses that code of laws as its frame of reference. Precedence has lesser store there.
Reply 4
Original post by Pegasus2
There is also statute law, where laws are made in parliament.

noted I'm going to research that
Reply 5
Original post by gladders
Civil law is the system of law generally practiced in Europe. Unlike common law which is governed by individual precedents, civil law is where the courts operate within a single, codified body of law and uses that code of laws as its frame of reference. Precedence has lesser store there.

Is it true that it's a leftover from the roman judicial system?
Original post by jgjog3
Is it true that it's a leftover from the roman judicial system?

Partly...an evolution of it may be a fairer statement.
Reply 7

Which one do you think is the fairer law?
Original post by kka25
Which one do you think is the fairer law?

What do you mean? Civil vs Roman? Civil vs common? Common vs Roman?

I can't answer that - nobody can. It's comes down to advantages vs disadvantages, but predominantly it's down to cultural choice.
Reply 9
What do you mean? Civil vs Roman? Civil vs common? Common vs Roman?

I can't answer that - nobody can. It's comes down to advantages vs disadvantages, but predominantly it's down to cultural choice.

Civil vs. Common really.

Well, was just hoping for a generic opinion on it really.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by kka25
Civil vs. Common really.

Well, was just hoping for a generic opinion on it really.

Well as a Brit I'm familiar and comfortable with common law, but I'm sure a Frenchman would have similar attachment to civil law :smile:
Reply 11

I see
Reply 12
Well as a Brit I'm familiar and comfortable with common law, but I'm sure a Frenchman would have similar attachment to civil law :smile:

Why are the french more attached to civil law. If it was a joke and I didn't get it never mind:tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending