The Student Room Group

Is ucas biased?

If the university process is supposed to be completely unbiased then why do they ask for religion/sexual orientation etc. I know it could be for data purposes but I feel like unis could use this to make a decision without having to ale it public knowledge

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
Original post by frances98
If the university process is supposed to be completely unbiased then why do they ask for religion/sexual orientation etc. I know it could be for data purposes but I feel like unis could use this to make a decision without having to ale it public knowledge

Posted from TSR Mobile

Pretty sure the unis don't actually see that info. It's just for UCAS's own databanks...

Why would they let that affect their decision anyway? They want the best students, not an arian class.
Reply 2
I am guessing it is so that universities can accept applications from a multitude of backgrounds, whether that be based around ethnicity or religion. Kind of like positive discrimination. Someone correct me if i am wrong.
Reply 3
I don't think the university sees this information when making their decision.

Posted from TSR Mobile

i may be wrong but my college said that the unis only see that information once theyve given an offer
And then its so they can say they have things in place for the uni population, like if theres a big lgbtq+ community theyll want to make sure that they have preventative measures for bate crime against that group
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by tailred
I am guessing it is so that universities can accept applications from a multitude of backgrounds, whether that be based around ethnicity or religion. Kind of like positive discrimination. Someone correct me if i am wrong.

There isn't any positive discrimination in university admissions based on racial background or sexual orientation. Some universities make lower, contextual offers, but those are based on whether you went to an under-performing school or not, not your race/sexual orientation.

If they wanted to do positive discrimination properly, it wouldn't have a 'prefer not to say' option and there would be greater oversight into looking at whether people are being honest about it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Isn't there an option for "Rather not say"? But anyway, as the others have said, those are for statistics purposes, universities don't get to see them in the decision making process.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending