The Student Room Group

Higher taxes to discourage air travel

Aircraft produce a phenomenal amount of CO2 far more per person than ships or trains do. This CO2 is placed high into the atmosphere where it has its worst effects causing climate change.

I'd like to see higher taxes on air travel and perhaps a restriction to no more than 2 return journeys per person, per year in the case of leisure travel.
With this we can encourage more people to holiday in the UK bringing life back into our tourist resorts like Margate, Skegness etc.

I am also opposed to government plans to expand airports around London or anywhere else in the UK on environment grounds.

As a country we need to reduce our average annual air mileage.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
This seems like a cost to growth with little benefit, it seems better to carry on until the new breed of more efficient planes can be created.

I support the expansion of any airport which can do so without guarantee or subsidy from the state.
Reply 2
No. Don't raise air taxes. Also, expand our airport and air infrastructure. Planes are moving to becoming more efficient.
apart from not being able to afford it I can't think of a single reason why someone would want to go on holiday to the UK, providing they already live in the UK... fair enough for cultural stuff but it's just too cold for a proper beach holiday

in short I disagree because I like being able to go to hot countries for a low price
Original post by Ambitious1999
Aircraft produce a phenomenal amount of CO2 far more per person than ships or trains do. This CO2 is placed high into the atmosphere where it has its worst effects causing climate change.

I'd like to see higher taxes on air travel and perhaps a restriction to no more than 2 return journeys per person, per year in the case of leisure travel.
With this we can encourage more people to holiday in the UK bringing life back into our tourist resorts like Margate, Skegness etc.

I am also opposed to government plans to expand airports around London or anywhere else in the UK on environment grounds.

We don't need a specific airplane tax, what we need is a general carbon tax (which would effectively translate into an airplane tax). Not sure about actually restricting how many times people can travel because that feels a bit too authoritarian. Definitely oppose airport expansion though.

I will only support a tax if it were to assist the environment in one way or another, instead of the general treasury.

Such as, if there was £500m revenue derived from Carbon Tax, then I would expect such monies to be appropriated to off-setting the effect of generating CO2, such as planting more trees or perhaps investing in renewable energy.
Original post by TheArtofProtest
I will only support a tax if it were to assist the environment in one way or another, instead of the general treasury.

Such as, if there was £500m revenue derived from Carbon Tax, then I would expect such monies to be appropriated to off-setting the effect of generating CO2, such as planting more trees or perhaps investing in renewable energy.

I'd support that. Money could go towards environmental projects, environmental holiday parks in the UK and also to help regenerate tourism in UK resorts, creating jobs and reducing unemployment and poverty in these seaside towns.
The environment is ****ed anyway. Brit not going on holiday isn't going to change anything when China are pumping tons of **** into the atmosphere which is so bad it is risk just go outside.
I'd support that. Money could go towards environmental projects, environmental holiday parks in the UK and also to help regenerate tourism in UK resorts, creating jobs and reducing unemployment and poverty in these seaside towns.

Whilst I appreciate the nostalgia, I just don't think a few donkey rides on Blackpool beach is going to cut it for the times we live in.

Beaches and touring the UK used to be a national past-time, a tradition which one engaged in with family, a once a year treat which made it feel special, like Christmas.

Sadly, the emphasis is now more on "lad's holidays" and catered towards more what individuals want and how they can be themselves, but just not in the UK.

It's a nice idea, and one that I would fully support but it seems to belong or appeal to people who are more "structured" in their approach to life, of which I am.
Carbon tax would be vastly better.
Also the implementation of this tax has to be progressive for me to get behind any form of legislation.
Original post by TheArtofProtest
Whilst I appreciate the nostalgia, I just don't think a few donkey rides on Blackpool beach is going to cut it for the times we live in.

Beaches and touring the UK used to be a national past-time, a tradition which one engaged in with family, a once a year treat which made it feel special, like Christmas.

Sadly, the emphasis is now more on "lad's holidays" and catered towards more what individuals want and how they can be themselves, but just not in the UK.

It's a nice idea, and one that I would fully support but it seems to belong or appeal to people who are more "structured" in their approach to life, of which I am.

There are some fantastic places to holiday in the UK not just Blackpool and Southend type resorts. Cornwall, the surfing capital of Europe, Lake District, Channel Islands etc.

My plans would not be to ban people from holidaying overseas but to restrict people to twice a year and increase taxes to encourage people to holiday in the UK, which would reduce air mileage and pollution.

With places like Tunisia now off the tourist map this is the opportunity we have to promote UK tourism.
Also part of the problem with overseas holidays are these all inclusive holidays which result in massive food and drink wastage which again is bad for the environment.
There are some fantastic places to holiday in the UK not just Blackpool and Southend type resorts. Cornwall, the surfing capital of Europe, Lake District, Channel Islands etc.

Indeed. Many of them, despite being quaint, are also extremely pleasant.

My plans would not be to ban people from holidaying overseas but to restrict people to twice a year and increase taxes to encourage people to holiday in the UK, which would reduce air mileage and pollution.

It is an idea not without merit but I wonder, how would such a concept be policed?

With places like Tunisia now off the tourist map this is the opportunity we have to promote UK tourism.
Also part of the problem with overseas holidays are these all inclusive holidays which result in massive food and drink wastage which again is bad for the environment.

But the issue here is that many of us, when growing up, have already been to and so, have therefore experienced what these places have to offer.

That doesn't mean that we cannot make it an annual event, and indeed, my family and I are sticklers for annual events but I just don't think it'd work, in a practical sense.

That doesn't mean that we shouldn't try.

Where can I ski in the UK which has at least 400 km of piste?

But modern day jet aircraft are cleaner and more economical than they've ever been.

If you're concerned about pollution, take the lead and choose not to fly.

Choose not to take the train, car or buy any food that isn't homegrown.

Go live in a cell sustaining commune.

But please do not advocate any more taxes especially for environmental issues as they only seem to screw over the poor more.
Original post by BobbyFlay
Carbon tax would be vastly better.
Also the implementation of this tax has to be progressive for me to get behind any form of legislation.

Id love to see a progressive tax on that implemented.

Cheap easy jet ticket to Prague. Do you have luggage to check in? What's you're annual income? Can we validate your income?

It's as about progressive as it gets. The farther you fly and the class of Tavel you go dictates how much you pay.
Original post by MatureStudent36
Id love to see a progressive tax on that implemented.

Cheap easy jet ticket to Prague. Do you have luggage to check in? What's you're annual income? Can we validate your income?

It's as about progressive as it gets. The farther you fly and the class of Tavel you go dictates how much you pay.

Part of the reason why I would not support another indirect tax.
Also that scenario does not really sound all that bad, especially if it means a more progressive indirect tax that deters carbon emissions. All you would really need is some sort of quick way of privately validating whether or not you should being the tax, I'm sure there are plenty of ways.
Part of the reason why I would not support another indirect tax.
Also that scenario does not really sound all that bad, especially if it means a more progressive indirect tax that deters carbon emissions. All you would really need is some sort of quick way of privately validating whether or not you should being the tax, I'm sure there are plenty of ways.

Do you not think people pay enough tax already?

What happens when country's like China turn around and say do one?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-20299388

Remember when the Secretary of State for the environment, the right honourable ed milliband signed up for. Green levy on energy? Poor people shivered.
Do you not think people pay enough tax already?

What happens when country's like China turn around and say do one?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-20299388

Remember when the Secretary of State for the environment, the right honourable ed milliband signed up for. Green levy on energy? Poor people shivered.

"A tax that takes a larger percentage from the income of high-income earners than it does from low-income individuals."
http://www.investopedia.com/terms/p/progressivetax.asp
"A tax that takes a larger percentage from the income of high-income earners than it does from low-income individuals."
http://www.investopedia.com/terms/p/progressivetax.asp

I know what a progressive tax is.

How does an airline implement it?
I know what a progressive tax is.

How does an airline implement it?

If it came own to some sort of progressive carbon tax, I do not see the problem with air travel consumers using their tax codes for booking flights. Tax codes indicate how much income tax you would generally pay, therefore using them to determine how much an individual should pay in carbon tax does seem like a bad idea. Then using the revenue to subsidies green energy- assuming this is all possible of course.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending