The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Test 5, Question 2 (Maths and Physics, Paper 1)

Hints:

Spoiler

Solution:

Spoiler

Original post by Zacken
Test 5, Question 2 (Maths and Physics, Paper 1)

Hints:

Spoiler

Solution:

Spoiler

Can you link me to it.
Trinity Test 4, Question 9

Hint

Spoiler

Solution

Spoiler

Original post by Krollo

Hint

Spoiler

Solution

Spoiler

Damn my mechanics is bad, don't even understand this mate.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by physicsmaths
Damn my mechanics is bad, don't even understand this mate.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Neither do I :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Krollo

Hint

Spoiler

Solution

Spoiler

I'll take your word for it

I just scribbled the method I would use to solve it, didn't have the courage to try it myself :redface:

When is your interview? If i have no mechanics or stats i will bang it, but no mechanics and stats is unlikely :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
When is your interview? If i have no mechanics or stats i will bang it, but no mechanics and stats is unlikely :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

14th, I think you're a bit later? I'm sure you'll be absolutely fine. I wouldn't mind applied myself, to be honest, but each to their own. :-)
Original post by Krollo
14th, I think you're a bit later? I'm sure you'll be absolutely fine. I wouldn't mind applied myself, to be honest, but each to their own. :-)

I would not mind pure geometry 😃! But yh mechanics i can work with sometiems and the same with probability but the topics are iffy for me. Yeh I am on the 18th!

Posted from TSR Mobile
15rootpi/8 for the maths and CompSci Q1 Test 1?

Posted from TSR Mobile
15rootpi/8 for the maths and CompSci Q1 Test 1?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yep (I think this was solved a page or so back)
Original post by Krollo
Yep (I think this was solved a page or so back)

Ah so those solutions are up aswell, Q2 is so quick.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Anybody know how to do Q3 without using jensens equality?
https://www1.maths.leeds.ac.uk/~read/TQC1.pdf
This is how I have done it,

Posted from TSR Mobile
Anybody know how to do Q3 without using jensens equality?
https://www1.maths.leeds.ac.uk/~read/TQC1.pdf
This is how I have done it,

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, I had to use Jensen's. Although, Jensen's in the case of two is *fairly* intuitive. Btw, the next part is actually Holder's inequality.
Btw, I think you overcomplicated it, using weights of 1/p and 1/q, you dont have to do much manipulation.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Renzhi10122
Yeah, I had to use Jensen's. Although, Jensen's in the case of two is *fairly* intuitive. Btw, the next part is actually Holder's inequality.
Btw, I think you overcomplicated it, using weights of 1/p and 1/q, you dont have to do much manipulation.

Yh I figured it out after that I was using the p,q weirdly but I used p,q for the sake of the powers haha, , Yh holders is the one with 3 sequences right and the sum of powers on the least side right? And when it is two sequences it is just Cauchy right?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Would they really expect everyone to know jensens inequality? That is trinity for you :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yh I figured it out after that I was using the p,q weirdly but I used p,q for the sake of the powers haha, , Yh holders is the one with 3 sequences right and the sum of powers on the least side right? And when it is two sequences it is just Cauchy right?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Nah, more sequences is just more cauchy, i think. Holder's is where the powers arent 1/2 anymore (square root cauchy, you get square roots on the larger side), they are 1/p and 1/q where 1/p+1/q=1 :smile:
Would they really expect everyone to know jensens inequality? That is trinity for you :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Honestly, probably not. Only about max 20 or so people applying would know it, though some might spot the trick for the 2 variable case. I guess it would be like the new material kind of question, where they tell you the inequality in interview, and ask you to use it.
Nah, more sequences is just more cauchy, i think. Holder's is where the powers arent 1/2 anymore (square root cauchy, you get square roots on the larger side), they are 1/p and 1/q where 1/p+1/q=1 :smile:

Yh that is what i meant, when the powers are 1/2 and it is 2 sequences holders becomes cauchy schwarz.
I would cautious of such questions if they ask me some crazy indepth questions about Holders inequality ill be like 'sorry i only know the basic proofs mate'. Atleast I am fairly certain I won't need this in my 30 minute test 😂.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending