The Student Room Group

I know no non-White people!

So basically I live in Belfast and have just realised I have hardly ever met anyone who isn't white. Belfast is not incredibly diverse as there's been incidents of racism from paramilitaries and our history doesn't make it a popular city for immigrants and all but Ive actually only spoken to two black people in my life and only one has been a friend. In my year of over 100 there is one Asian guy. There's over a 1000 in the school and probably about 3 black people and about 5 Asians and that is it.
It's so stupid. I live in a big city but it is incredibly insular. Am I missing out as I've never experienced diversity?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Rachel-Peach
So basically I live in Belfast and have just realised I have hardly ever met anyone who isn't white. Belfast is not incredibly diverse as there's been incidents of racism from paramilitaries and our history doesn't make it a popular city for immigrants and all but Ive actually only spoken to two black people in my life and only one has been a friend. In my year of over 100 there is one Asian guy. There's over a 1000 in the school and probably about 3 black people and about 5 Asians and that is it.
It's so stupid. I live in a big city but it is incredibly insular. Am I missing out as I've never experienced diversity?

Sup.

Non-white guy here

:rofl:
It's not really your fault if the place where you live isn't diverse as long as you don't let it affect your thoughts on other races/cultures when you're inexperienced.
Reply 3
You are racist
simple

Hey there, my name's Hashim, and I will be your token Asian friend for the rest of your life or mine, whichever comes first.

Now you do.
Original post by eoe
You are racist
simple

Care to explain that logic?
Reply 6

Why do you feel this requires you to make a thread about it?
Care to explain that logic?

He's taking the piss, dw. :laugh:
Original post by Mancini
Why do you feel this requires you to make a thread about it?

Because I think it's sad that I live in such a insular place that is stuck in the 1690s.
Original post by Hashim123
He's taking the piss, dw. :laugh:

Oh ok thanks mate!

Wagwarn di gyaldem!
Reply 11
Because I think it's sad that I live in such a insular place that is stuck in the 1690s.

So you think it's someone's fault or a specific group of people's fault that this place you are from Belfast is not as multicultural as some other cities in the British Isles? You think it's somehow intentionally been kept non multicultural ?
I think its a good thing to know people from different walks of life

You cant help your environment until you are older tho

Then you can live anywhere you please

Posted from TSR Mobile
You should see London.
That's sort of racism.
I once said that myself until I realised that there's no ****ing difference between asians, indians or black people. Every person is "diverse" in their own way and I don't think that having a non-white friend would bring anything different to your life.

But I understand you, I really do.
Reply 15
That's sort of racism.
I once said that myself until I realised that there's no ****ing difference between asians, indians or black people. Every person is "diverse" in their own way and I don't think that having a non-white friend would bring anything different to your life.

But I understand you, I really do.

I don't think you know what racism is.
(edited 5 years ago)
Come round my endz and you will see real diversity.:hello::hello::hello:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Mancini
I don't think you know what racism is.

Well treating non-white people like they are some kind of magical unicorns or rare species sure isn't
(edited 8 years ago)
my sixth form had like <5 non-white people out of several hundred lmao

my high school had even fewer non whites
Am I missing out as I've never experienced diversity?

I don't think so. I feel like diversity in the UK is a failed experiment and it brings way more disadvantages than advantages. That's just my opinion though.

Quick Reply

Latest