The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

When did you say we were talking about starts? When it suited your argument? Even then it doesn't support you. Giroud has 8 goals from 9 starts, Walcott has 2 goals from 6 starts.

The "stats" you linked don't really show anything. For example, in the second link it gives credit to Walcott for the Munich win, when the game didn't change until Giroud was brought on.

The first link doesn't prove your point. It knocks Giroud for not having enough "match winning goals" but when was the last time Walcott got one? I don't even think it was this year.

Original post by AliRizzo
I will just assume you don't watch Arsenal because he absolutely does not.

Arsenal play a narrow formation. When get the ball up to Giroud he holds the ball up for the three behind which creating space for them to work within. When you consider how key Giroud was the past three seasons, which have been three of Arsenal's most successful, it should highlight how well he fits the side.

Even if you do watch Arsenal, you don't exactly have a good knowledge of them.
(edited 8 years ago)
Giroud benefits from rotation, start him for too long and he dries up
Reply 982
Original post by shawn_o1
Giroud benefits from rotation, start him for too long and he dries up

Yup.

I've argued this for a while now. Giroud is such a good striker to have if you have another who is a threat but is a completely different player to Giroud.

It's hard for defenders to completely change their system to adapt to a completely different striker during a game

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by SA-1
It's hard for defenders to completely change their system to adapt to a completely different striker during a game

Posted from TSR Mobile

Axiom.
Prediction for Giroud's crucial miss tonight?

I'm going with 84th minute. Type of miss: free header inside the 6 yard box.
Going for a real gut wrencher:
90+5th minute
1-0 up, low cross in from the right and drops to Giroud inside 6 yard box, takes a bobble and he sends it over the bar with the goal gaping.
I think you'll find it more difficult than a lot of you seem to be thinking. Going away to Greece without a few of your more important first team players; with them knowing that they only have to score once for you to need to score 3. Can't help but think it might be like Monaco or Bayern for you in recent years, somewhat of a 'glorious failure'. Only have yourselves to blame though.
Result tonight doesn't really matter, it'll still be same old story if we do progress, if not let's be hoping Wenger takes Europa seriously
Original post by ClockEnderAFC
Going for a real gut wrencher:
90+5th minute
1-0 up, low cross in from the right and drops to Giroud inside 6 yard box, takes a bobble and he sends it over the bar with the goal gaping.

then does the thing where he looks up to the sky, tongue out, claude then has a hilarious rant on Arsenal Fan TV.

imo the meltdown on arsenal fan tv will be worth it
Original post by angelfox
then does the thing where he looks up to the sky, tongue out, claude then has a hilarious rant on Arsenal Fan TV.

imo the meltdown on arsenal fan tv will be worth it

Memz Dogi will release a YouTube video which contains more swear words than actual words about how Wenger never actually won a league title unbeaten and that it was Graham all along, and that Giroud would never have the bottle to fly half way across the world to give an Arsenal T shirt to a tranny in exchange for a hug and a picture.
Do you guys think Wenger might start Walcott RW rather than ST?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by dairychocolate

that expression in 3 hours time
Original post by Diego Costa

Arsenal play a narrow formation. When get the ball up to Giroud he holds the ball up for the three behind which creating space for them to work within. When you consider how key Giroud was the past three seasons, which have been three of Arsenal's most successful, it should highlight how well he fits the side.

Even if you do watch Arsenal, you don't exactly have a good knowledge of them.

It depends on the type of game Arsenal are playing, the Arsenal of 13/14 fitted Giroud as the play was slow and didn't require as much counter attacking play as this current Arsenal team, their play was more focused on controlling possession with Arteta and Ramsey tending to slow play in the middle. With Coquelin and Cazorla they are much more direct players and focus less on retaining possession, while Sanchez obviously adds the dimension of verticality that the previous Arsenal 13/14 side lacked.

I think that Walcott doesn't have enough to his game to flourish as a striker at this moment in time. Giroud tends to be at his best when Arsenal have control of a game and the teams are sitting deep, when the team pushes up against Arsenal then Giroud doesn't have as much space to work with.

I think Arsenal can get by with Giroud and Walcott though as despite their deficiencies as a complete strikers, they are great tactical weapons to use. Welbeck if he had better finishing would have been a great hybrid striker to have too. They are all different options which is good to have.
(edited 8 years ago)

Looking forward to the AKB posts and meme's around the 80th/85th minute after you've gone two up just for Olympiacos to score a few minutes later via a defensive blunder.
Original post by The Shed End
Looking forward to the AKB posts and meme's around the 80th/85th minute after you've gone two up just for Olympiacos to score a few minutes later via a defensive blunder.

Whatever takes your mind off Chelsea mate.
Original post by angelfox
that expression in 3 hours time

I'll be hoping for this instead:

Walcott and Giroud start together. Go all out it is.
Team news is late and loads of fans over twitter going crazy. Arsenal being the Banter FC that we are tweet a totally irrelevant picture of something causing more ruckus :lol:

Latest