The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by physicsmaths
Yh that is what i meant, when the powers are 1/2 and it is 2 sequences holders becomes cauchy schwarz.
I would cautious of such questions if they ask me some crazy indepth questions about Holders inequality ill be like 'sorry i only know the basic proofs mate'. Atleast I am fairly certain I won't need this in my 30 minute test 😂.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, I don't even know the proof lol. I've never used it before. This is definitely a hard question though.
Actually, I think I've done a proof for integer p and q, but not for real ones... I guess that would require limits everywhere.
Original post by Renzhi10122
Yeah, I don't even know the proof lol. I've never used it before. This is definitely a hard question though.
Actually, I think I've done a proof for integer p and q, but not for real ones... I guess that would require limits everywhere.

Yh I thought, Cauchy is normally in R^3 so this is R^N so maybe holders or an argument similar, so I just used the previous and summed to n and used the p+q=PQ! the second was definitely easier I thought! first part although I had something similar ina step paper! here they had not given anything so would have been sad if I did not know jensens inequality.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Yh I thought, Cauchy is normally in R^3 so this is R^N so maybe holders or an argument similar, so I just used the previous and summed to n and used the p+q=PQ! the second was definitely easier I thought! first part although I had something similar ina step paper! here they had not given anything so would have been sad if I did not know jensens inequality.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Cauchy is R^3??? It's in R^n. But yeah, you use the previous result. I spent a while on that question, I didn't really think that using jensen's would have been the best method, but I guess that that is what they wanted.
Original post by Renzhi10122
Cauchy is R^3??? It's in R^n. But yeah, you use the previous result. I spent a while on that question, I didn't really think that using jensen's would have been the best method, but I guess that that is what they wanted.

Yh it is R^n lol I was thinking of R^3 since I had seen some proof of Cauchy in step II 2006 and extended it to R^n but this had nothing to do with this lol. This is what happens when you have a brain fart.
Original post by joostan
Paper 3 Question 1:

Spoiler

Paper 3 Question 2:

Spoiler

Paper 3 Question 6:

Spoiler

Shouldn't the numerator be cos and not sin after the u sub?

I also divided the top and bottom by cos to get

1/1+tan and then used t =tan theta/2

Which gave me I=1 :/

What've I done wrong?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by I am Ace
Shouldn't the numerator be cos and not sin after the u sub?

I also divided the top and bottom by cos to get

1/1+tan and then used t =tan theta/2

Which gave me I=1 :/

What've I done wrong?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Na what he has done is right with the numerator, the result actually holds for 1/(1+tan^n(x))
Could you post your working? It might be since x=pi/2 cosx=0, but I am not too sure as the result holds backwards.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Na what he has done is right with the numerator, the result actually holds for 1/(1+tan^n(x))
Could you post your working? It might be since x=pi/2 cosx=0, but I am not too sure as the result holds backwards.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1449618553.411040.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

The bottom 2 are fails I tried to delete

Posted from TSR Mobile

Lol ur gna be so pissed, double angle tan formula is wrong.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Lol ur gna be so pissed, double angle tan formula is wrong.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Brutal. It was so pretty as well

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by I am Ace
Brutal. It was so pretty as well

Posted from TSR Mobile

Lol, I have had plenty of amazing proofs like yours disproving well known mathematical theorems

Posted from TSR Mobile
Lol, I have had plenty of amazing proofs like yours disproving well known mathematical theorems

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well done on spotting it, I'd never have realised! Ben though I've been meaning to fix that plus to a minus on my formula sheet for ages! Finally bit me in the arse

Posted from TSR Mobile

(a) (1/A)^(1/5)
(b) 1 + (1/2A), -1 + 1/(2A), (-1/A)^(1/3).

(they may accept +-1 for the first two solutions for (b))
Original post by Zacken
(a) (1/A)^(1/5)
(b) 1 + (1/2A), -1 + 1/(2A), (-1/A)^(1/3).

(they may accept +-1 for the first two solutions for (b))

How did u get to them? I have made a mistake somewhere.....

Posted from TSR Mobile
How did u get to them? I have made a mistake somewhere.....

Posted from TSR Mobile

You get A=1x5x3A = \frac{1}{x^5 - x^3} after some simplification .

For small A, you know that x has to be huge (from your graph, so x^3 can be thrown away in comparison to x^5) hence x = (1/A)^(1/5).

For big A, you know x lies somewhere between -1 and 0, so x^5 is smaller than x^3 and you can throw that away, hence A = 1/(-x^3) and solve for x, then looking at the graph, you notice solutions at x = +-1 roughly, so use x = +-1 + delta x and then approximate using binomial shiz, etc...

(I just put +-1)
Original post by Zacken
You get A=1x5x3A = \frac{1}{x^5 - x^3} after some simplification .

For small A, you know that x has to be huge (from your graph, so x^3 can be thrown away in comparison to x^5) hence x = (1/A)^(1/5).

For big A, you know x lies somewhere between -1 and 0, so x^5 is smaller than x^3 and you can throw that away, hence A = 1/(-x^3) and solve for x, then looking at the graph, you notice solutions at x = +-1 roughly, so use x = +-1 + delta x and then approximate using binomial shiz, etc...

(I just put +-1)

Well I don't like that question lol. I just said infinity and 0- lol.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Well I don't like that question lol. I just said infinity and 0- lol.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I quite enjoyed the question, I enjoyed the paper in general (the second paper, not so much), I think I got 5 full solutions out - but I freaking hated how they put Jensens inequality in the previous question, that was so unfair! :eek:
Original post by Zacken
I quite enjoyed the question, I enjoyed the paper in general (the second paper, not so much), I think I got 5 full solutions out - but I freaking hated how they put Jensens inequality in the previous question, that was so unfair! :eek:

Well you should done more olympiad stuff :wink: haha, Yh It was a nice paper! Paper 2 was good aswell I thought, I got Q1,2,3,5 and 7(kind of) for 7 ax+B is the remainder as they didn't say that at the start which made me wonder otherwise it does not make sense.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Anyone have the maths and physics paper 1 Q 4 curve sketching solutions?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest

Trending

Trending