The Student Room Group

Need some advice: National 5

Hello there :-)

I have a few questions....

I'm in S4 and I'll be sitting National 5 this year in all my subjects. I've kept Chemistry, Physics, Maths, English, Modern Studies, History and Computing Science. I'm hoping to get into medical school, However with the Chemistry and Physics combination I'm kinda worried :/

Some medical schools say that Chemistry is required along with an additional science (either Physics or Biology). Others say that Biology and Chemistry must be kept. Most people I hear who want to do medicine say that they keep Biology instead of Physics, So my question is... Will I be disadvantaged in anyway?

Second question:

I'm a bit stumped for ideas at the moment. My prelim is around the 11th of January and I'm struggling to get a good, solid study plan going. I'm not very consistent lol. How should I study? How much should I study? Should I study a specific amount of subjects each day? Or all of them?

Third question:

With the prelim fast approaching all S4 students in my year were given a predicted grade for their subjects. Teachers said that at this stage nothing can really be said until after the prelim, But they still gave us one anyway.

My predicted grades:

Maths - A
Chemistry - A
Physics - A
Modern Studies - A/B (TBC)
History - A/B (TBC)
Computing Science - A/B (TBC)
English- .... C (:/)

English.... SMH

I really don't know... How does one get an "A" in English? Got any tips for English? How can I prepare myself for the close reading, textual analysis and essays etc etc..??!?!?!

Cheers :wink:

Scroll to see replies

I'm also in S4 and my prelims are at the end of january. I have started studying now, and the best way to do it is to make a timetable that suits you. For example, say you wanted to do three subjects a day for one hour each that would be enough. However the days you know you dont have much on you can add maybe one or two more subejcts to that day to study for an hour each. It can be quite confusing and three hours a day may not seem like much if you are like me and you stress all the time. But remember, don't over do it. Then you may be burned out after your prelims. The exam is the most important thing.
My brother and sister are both studying medicine and i would advise you crash biology because it is very important to have. It's an easier science than physics and chemistry (if you have a good memory).
English is a hard one that I'm not amazing at as well, but to get the 'A' just practice tons of close reading and get maybe your teacher to mark it (thats what I do), with textual analysis it works differently for people, you can memorise your text or different quotes. The main thing is practice. Even wiht essays keep writing essays and giving them to your teacher.
Hope I helped (: Good luck!
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by A+Hunter

I'm in S4 and I'll be sitting National 5 this year in all my subjects. I've kept Chemistry, Physics, Maths, English, Modern Studies, History and Computing Science. I'm hoping to get into medical school, However with the Chemistry and Physics combination I'm kinda worried :/

Some medical schools say that Chemistry is required along with an additional science (either Physics or Biology). Others say that Biology and Chemistry must be kept. Most people I hear who want to do medicine say that they keep Biology instead of Physics, So my question is... Will I be disadvantaged in anyway?

Second question:

I'm a bit stumped for ideas at the moment. My prelim is around the 11th of January and I'm struggling to get a good, solid study plan going. I'm not very consistent lol. How should I study? How much should I study? Should I study a specific amount of subjects each day? Or all of them?

Third question:

With the prelim fast approaching all S4 students in my year were given a predicted grade for their subjects. Teachers said that at this stage nothing can really be said until after the prelim, But they still gave us one anyway.

My predicted grades:

Maths - A
Chemistry - A
Physics - A
History - A/B (TBC)

English.... SMH

I really don't know... How does one get an "A" in English? Got any tips for English? How can I prepare myself for the close reading, textual analysis and essays etc etc..??!?!?!

I am in 5th year studying 5 highers (including English) and also want to do medicine :smile:

Study plan: I did no more than half a day per subject, a day was 8-4 (flexible if I was going out the night before etc. I decided on this because that is the time that I am away from the house (school is 8.30-3.30). Breaks are important. If you are like me, you will get in the 'zone' and forget to eat and drink. Also, finish all your revision for a subject 2 days before the exam, and go over everything/do practise papers the day before. This means you are not cramming.

For essays, I did essay plans. This helped to practise different questions and structures and also flagged up weaker areas of the texts. You can also use old SG/ Int 2 essay Qs, they might be a little different but still helps to familiarise you with the texts. RUAE and TA basically just practice papers.
Reply 3
Original post by studyranger
I'm also in S4 and my prelims are at the end of january. I have started studying now, and the best way to do it is to make a timetable that suits you. For example, say you wanted to do three subjects a day for one hour each that would be enough. However the days you know you dont have much on you can add maybe one or two more subejcts to that day to study for an hour each. It can be quite confusing and three hours a day may not seem like much if you are like me and you stress all the time. But remember, don't over do it. Then you may be burned out after your prelims. The exam is the most important thing.
My brother and sister are both studying medicine and i would advise you crash biology because it is very important to have. It's an easier science than physics and chemistry (if you have a good memory).
English is a hard one that I'm not amazing at as well, but to get the 'A' just practice tons of close reading and get maybe your teacher to mark it (thats what I do), with textual analysis it works differently for people, you can memorise your text or different quotes. The main thing is practice. Even wiht essays keep writing essays and giving them to your teacher.
Hope I helped (: Good luck!

Thanks for the advice mate :smile:

Good luck with your prelims and exams as well :biggrin:

Original post by Science_Girl
I am in 5th year studying 5 highers (including English) and also want to do medicine :smile:

Study plan: I did no more than half a day per subject, a day was 8-4 (flexible if I was going out the night before etc. I decided on this because that is the time that I am away from the house (school is 8.30-3.30). Breaks are important. If you are like me, you will get in the 'zone' and forget to eat and drink. Also, finish all your revision for a subject 2 days before the exam, and go over everything/do practise papers the day before. This means you are not cramming.

For essays, I did essay plans. This helped to practise different questions and structures and also flagged up weaker areas of the texts. You can also use old SG/ Int 2 essay Qs, they might be a little different but still helps to familiarise you with the texts. RUAE and TA basically just practice papers.

Hmm.. I see... What uni are you interested in? Have u took biology? Do they require biology?

I've been doing some past paper questions for English. The close reading isn't too easy, But it isn't too bad either tbh. I think I could get a good mark if I just keep practising.

However the essays are my weakpoint, So hopefully I'll start taking your suggestions.

Have you got any links to Close reading and TA worksheets with answers? There's only 2 NAT 5 papers obv. For now I'll go with INT 2 and SG, But if you have any links then please share them :smile:

Thanks.
Thanks for the advice mate :smile:

Good luck with your prelims and exams as well :biggrin:

Hmm.. I see... What uni are you interested in? Have u took biology? Do they require biology?

I've been doing some past paper questions for English. The close reading isn't too easy, But it isn't too bad either tbh. I think I could get a good mark if I just keep practising.

However the essays are my weakpoint, So hopefully I'll start taking your suggestions.

Have you got any links to Close reading and TA worksheets with answers? There's only 2 NAT 5 papers obv. For now I'll go with INT 2 and SG, But if you have any links then please share them :smile:

Thanks.

I bought practise paper books for all my subjects. I got the Leckie and Leckie ones but the Hodder Gibson ones are good too. These both have answers. There is also a N5 specimen paper on SQA website as well as the past papers.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by Science_Girl
I bought practise paper books for all my subjects. I got the Leckie and Leckie ones but the Hodder Gibson ones are good too. These both have answers. There is also a N5 specimen paper on SQA website as well as the past papers.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks again :smile:
Reply 6

Second question:

Third question:

My predicted grades:

Maths - A
Chemistry - A
Physics - A
History - A/B (TBC)

English.... SMH

Hated Nat 5 English too! Trust me the nat 5 exams are ALWAYS easier than pre-lims. Work hard for your pre-lims and you've got your first 2 units in da bag.
For medical school you REALLY should have taken Biology. It isn't compulsory as Chemistry is slightly more important and I mean just slightly but if another Candidate has Biology then they are IMMEDIATELY preferred as a lot of interview topics are Biology related things. I am honestly surprised as in my opinion you need to know more Biology
Reply 7
Original post by Jeff548
Hated Nat 5 English too! Trust me the nat 5 exams are ALWAYS easier than pre-lims. Work hard for your pre-lims and you've got your first 2 units in da bag.
For medical school you REALLY should have taken Biology. It isn't compulsory as Chemistry is slightly more important and I mean just slightly but if another Candidate has Biology then they are IMMEDIATELY preferred as a lot of interview topics are Biology related things. I am honestly surprised as in my opinion you need to know more Biology

My brain atm... I've lost brain cells trying to cope with English lol. It's just frustrating really. Close reading is becoming a bit more easier for me, However TA... TA......... I cba memorising all the quotes and stuff lol. Oh well.

Also I cleared it up with a few med schools. They said that it's fine to not have Biology, However if I stay on in 6th year they recommend I pick it up as a crash higher, So we'll see :smile:
You can crash higher biology/human biology in s6
My friend who have applied to medical schools(in Scotland) this year is crashing higher biology, he is also doing AH chemistry and physics.
Most medical schools want a B, if not, an A in nat 5 English, some medical schools even prefer candidates who have done/are doing higher English.. So try to get a good grade in nat 5 English.
Past papers will be your best friend this year:wink:
Original post by Jeff548

Depends where you apply. Might not even be asked science questions at your interview, in fact I don't recall being asked any science questions at any of my interviews.

OP, probably useful to have at higher if you can get it though not 100% essential, depending where you apply.
Reply 10
Original post by Junioh
You can crash higher biology/human biology in s6
My friend who have applied to medical schools(in Scotland) this year is crashing higher biology, he is also doing AH chemistry and physics.
Most medical schools want a B, if not, an A in nat 5 English, some medical schools even prefer candidates who have done/are doing higher English.. So try to get a good grade in nat 5 English.
Past papers will be your best friend this year:wink:

I was thinking of crashing it as my school doesn't allow three or more sciences unfortunately. Thanks for your advice :smile:

Original post by TheRabbit
Depends where you apply. Might not even be asked science questions at your interview, in fact I don't recall being asked any science questions at any of my interviews.

OP, probably useful to have at higher if you can get it though not 100% essential, depending where you apply.

Aberdeen Uni told me it's essential to have English at Higher, So I'll get stuck into English I hope :smile:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Update on English:

I'm starting to find it better now :smile: Close reading is becoming progressively easier and the TA isn't that bad, However I've still got to work on my essays.

I was thinking maybe I should go all out for the TA, Close reading and my folio and just brick the Critical essay lol :-) But that's a bad attitude lol.

We'll see :smile:
I was thinking of crashing it as my school doesn't allow three or more sciences unfortunately. Thanks for your advice :smile:

Aberdeen Uni told me it's essential to have English at Higher, So I'll get stuck into English I hope :smile:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Update on English:

I'm starting to find it better now :smile: Close reading is becoming progressively easier and the TA isn't that bad, However I've still got to work on my essays.

I was thinking maybe I should go all out for the TA, Close reading and my folio and just brick the Critical essay lol :-) But that's a bad attitude lol.

We'll see :smile:

Oh sorry meant Biology was probably not essential. English didn't used to be (I didn't do it and went to Aberdeen) but with increased competition I guess they can tighten up the requirements.
Reply 12
Original post by TheRabbit
Oh sorry meant Biology was probably not essential. English didn't used to be (I didn't do it and went to Aberdeen) but with increased competition I guess they can tighten up the requirements.

You previously never said anything about biology.

I was talking to the other guy? Lol :biggrin:
I'm also in 4th year and I have sat 5 prelims so far and 2 more to go. English is quite a hard subject unless you know your stuff. I sat my national 5 English prelim and it wasn't that bad the close reading was quite hard. I'm just waiting for the results.

You can crash higher biology in 6th year .. I too want to study medicine.
Reply 14
Original post by Sweet_Candy
I'm also in 4th year and I have sat 5 prelims so far and 2 more to go. English is quite a hard subject unless you know your stuff. I sat my national 5 English prelim and it wasn't that bad the close reading was quite hard. I'm just waiting for the results.

You can crash higher biology in 6th year .. I too want to study medicine.

Did u pick bio and chem or chem and physics?

I have the prelim in 2 weeks :O And english is first (facepalm)
Bio and chem .. our school doesn't allow 3 sciences. im thinking about crashing physics in sixth year ... Just for fun. Don't worry about the English prelim you'll be fine. Just be calm.. and make sure you carefully read the questions. For the textual analysis .. I used study cards. I love study cards .. you should definitely use them for your other subjects. Study cards and past papers are key for any subjects.
Reply 16
Bio and chem .. our school doesn't allow 3 sciences. im thinking about crashing physics in sixth year ... Just for fun. Don't worry about the English prelim you'll be fine. Just be calm.. and make sure you carefully read the questions. For the textual analysis .. I used study cards. I love study cards .. you should definitely use them for your other subjects. Study cards and past papers are key for any subjects.

Same my school doesn't let me choose three sciences. I guess I'll have to crash bio.

You should do physics :biggrin: At the moment I find physics quite easy. If you're good at maths then physics won't be hard.

What was your textual analysis based on? Carol ann duffy by any chance? And what did you do the essay on? Was it easy?

God I'm asking so many questions lol.
Same my school doesn't let me choose three sciences. I guess I'll have to crash bio.

You should do physics :biggrin: At the moment I find physics quite easy. If you're good at maths then physics won't be hard.

What was your textual analysis based on? Carol ann duffy by any chance? And what did you do the essay on? Was it easy?

God I'm asking so many questions lol.

My essay was on mid term break by Seamus Heaney and the textual analysis was on tallys blood.
Reply 18
My essay was on mid term break by Seamus Heaney and the textual analysis was on tallys blood.

Oh cool
Reply 19

Second question:

Third question:

My predicted grades:

Maths - A
Chemistry - A
Physics - A
History - A/B (TBC)

English.... SMH

1. Crashing Higher Biology probs wont disadvantage you that much for medicine, although it means you cannot take AH Biology
2. Something like 3-4 hours a night doing past papers? Although don't stress that much prelims aren't as important as real exams...
3. BBC bite size has lots of good Nat 5 English revision notes, also learn your poems off by heart if you can.

Quick Reply