The Student Room Group

A level choices

I am in year 11 and so am having to think about A level choices atm, I am interested in orthoptics so am definitely going to take biology. I am also definitely going to take A level maths, is it really hard by the way??? I then think I want to do French, is it an interesting a level? And I was thinking of English Literature but am now thinking that it may be a bit dull or boring and so I could opt for something that I enjoy more like geography, sociology or psychology, any ideas about psychology?? Thanks.
don't do maths
you'll regret it.....

unless you are getting like 90% or above at GCSE maths then congrats you can do it:h:

languages are hard form what I have heard
Reply 2
Original post by katieranstead
I am in year 11 and so am having to think about A level choices atm, I am interested in orthoptics so am definitely going to take biology. I am also definitely going to take A level maths, is it really hard by the way??? I then think I want to do French, is it an interesting a level? And I was thinking of English Literature but am now thinking that it may be a bit dull or boring and so I could opt for something that I enjoy more like geography, sociology or psychology, any ideas about psychology?? Thanks.

Do Mathematics. You won't regret it.
Reply 3

English literature is great! - must want to read though

I'd advise doing chemistry, as a second science, just thinking of what uni's may ask for. Languages are meant to be really difficult though, so you've gotta be interested and actually want to lean it.

Only study what you're interested in, otherwise you'll resent studying it and favour the subjects you actually enjoy when it comes to exam time =)
Doing biology and maths AS, done French AS.

Biology and maths are interesting, maths definitely isn't hard at first. Some people would even say that maths A2 is easy though somehow I doubt that - but of course everything is possible if you work hard at it.

French was dull for me as the AS is essentially a repeat of GCSE but a bit harder (some people who had been spoon fed the GCSE found it a lot harder). The A2 is definitely mote interesting though, a lot more mature topics.

Do you know the entry requirements for your (possible) course - specifically the subjects needed?
Maths at AS isn't very hard for many people. It can get a little tougher at A2. If you're decent at GCSE you'll be absolutely fine at AS. Also it's a requirement for MANY science-y courses so by taking it you keep your options open

Original post by ombtom
Do Mathematics. You won't regret it.

This lad knows ^
Original post by Ishea16
don't do maths
you'll regret it.....

unless you are getting like 90% or above at GCSE maths then congrats you can do it:h:

lies. as long as you get a B for gcse maths, you'll be fine. Just make sure you put in the work.
Original post by BadmanAkanni
lies. as long as you get a B for gcse maths, you'll be fine. Just make sure you put in the work.

i put in a LOT of work and i see no improvements and plus D1 is a nightmare

actually no, working hard does get you the grades, maybe i need a bit more time
IGNORE ME:colondollar:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 8
maths is amazing, not as fun as further maths, but still pretty fun :smile:
Original post by Ishea16
don't do maths
you'll regret it.....

a-level maths isn't that hard lol. i know loads of people who got an A at gcse (which is approx 60 to 70% at gcse) that came out with a B or an A at a level. i find it easier than a-level economics and a-level philosophy, but that's probably because i suck at writing essays.
(edited 8 years ago)
or you are good at maths:borat::clap2:
Original post by Ishea16
i put in a LOT of work and i see no improvements and plus D1 is a nightmare

actually no, working hard does get you the grades, maybe i need a bit more time
IGNORE ME:colondollar:

there's your problem, you did D1.
Original post by BadmanAkanni
there's your problem, you did D1.

so you are saying do maths unless your college is doing D1?
Original post by h8skoooooool
Doing biology and maths AS, done French AS.

Biology and maths are interesting, maths definitely isn't hard at first. Some people would even say that maths A2 is easy though somehow I doubt that - but of course everything is possible if you work hard at it.

French was dull for me as the AS is essentially a repeat of GCSE but a bit harder (some people who had been spoon fed the GCSE found it a lot harder). The A2 is definitely mote interesting though, a lot more mature topics.

Do you know the entry requirements for your (possible) course - specifically the subjects needed?

I am hoping to do orthoptics at university which requires BBB but I am just not sure whether I really need the English literature if I do the others as I feel that they are all going to be quite challenging subjects.
I do AS Level English Lit and I absolutely love it. We're doing the edexcel spec by the way, and it's a lot more in depth with regards to how the literature relates to society - so a lot more emphasis on historical/social context which is good because it overlaps with different subject areas.

You not only have to like reading though and appreciating books which aren't necessarily your cup of tea, but you also have to find the said literature's context interesting enough to study in depth.

I would recommend it, but you might absolutely hate it, but this is just my insight!
I am hoping to do orthoptics at university which requires BBB but I am just not sure whether I really need the English literature if I do the others as I feel that they are all going to be quite challenging subjects.

English lit maybe challenging, as well as biology and maths, but if you enjoy it then don't let that hold you back. I'd probably go for sociology as your fourth choice as I believe there is less content in it than psychology (not that I do either, but from what I've heard from my friends) and this can be your 'easy' one. Also, I personally think it looks really interesting, so maybe you should research the options or speak to teachers more in depth.

At the end of the day, the uni would rather you did 'easier' subjects that you'll get better grades in than harder subjects that will mean that you don't meet the entry requirements. Good luck with your choice and feel free to ask me about the subjects that I'm doing.

Quick Reply

Latest