The Student Room Group

OCR Biology A2 F214/F215 exams June 2016

Hey! I thought I would make a revision thread as I made one last year for AS and it was very helpful!

So if you are an A2 Biology student studying the modules above you can post here if you need help, if you want to offer help, or just for general Biology chit-chat!

The timetable for the exams are:

F214 Communication, Homeostasis and Energy - Thursday 16th June PM - 1hr 15mins
F215 Control, Genomes and Environment - Thursday 23rd June AM - 2hr

I have found this thread to be very useful for specification notes.
This website, Mrs Miller's Blog, is also helpful!
Here are questions from every unit of the specification, which are extremely beneficial for revision. (These come from this thread, post 14 by @beanstalkgirl_24)
This youtube channel by MrBioTom1 is also extremely useful. Khan Academy has some videos in a lot of detail which can be applied to the spec.
Physics & Maths tutor additionally has some notes and exam packs!
Also been suggested these set of notes here: https://www.oxbridgenotes.co.uk/notes/eastbourne-college/a-level suggested by @alongcamelucy
Another website that it useful is: biogishumerus.com

How are you feeling about these exams? Have you started revision yet? How are you revising for these exams? Are you doing any retakes, if so, which ones? What grade are you aiming for/and what are you predicted? :scuba::scuba:

Also if you have any good revision sites or self-made notes or anything like that you can quote me and I will add it to the OP with your name! :biggrin:

Spoiler

(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Ben4
Hey! I thought I would make a revision thread as I made one last year for AS and it was very helpful!

So if you are an A2 Biology student studying the modules above you can post here if you need help, if you want to offer help, or just for general Biology chit-chat!

The timetable for the exams are:

F214 Communication, Homeostasis and Energy - Thursday 16th June PM - 1hr 15mins
F215 - Control, Genomes and Environment - Thursday 23rd June AM - 2hr

I have found this thread to be very useful for specification notes.

How are you feeling about these exams? Have you started revision yet? How are you revising for these exams? Are you doing any retakes, if so, which ones? What grade are you aiming for/and what are you predicted? :scuba::scuba:

Also if you have any good revision sites or self-made notes or anything like that you can quote me and I will add it to the OP with your name! :biggrin:

Spoiler

Hi

I've nearly finished all my revision notes for F214, not F215 though, and going to start revision definitely by mid December for F214.
I'm also resitting both units from AS after only achieving B grades in both :tongue:
and retaking the coursework aswell, I got a D last year -_- so it just dragged my grade down to a C.

really need an A this year :P... oh the struggles.
Reply 2
Original post by Anymorefor123
Hi

I've nearly finished all my revision notes for F214, not F215 though, and going to start revision definitely by mid December for F214.
I'm also resitting both units from AS after only achieving B grades in both :tongue:
and retaking the coursework aswell, I got a D last year -_- so it just dragged my grade down to a C.

Its good you are keeping on top of your notes! Sounds like you have a LOT of revision to do, but should be worth it at the end of the year! Are you enjoying the topics this year? I think they are much more interesting than last year but quite difficult to memorise.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi

I'm retaking both units as well after getting an overall B grade. I was wondering though when r u gna start revising for the retakes?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Lilly1234567890
I'm retaking both units as well after getting an overall B grade. I was wondering though when r u gna start revising for the retakes?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well im just doing bits/pieces every weekend. I got my paper back for F212 and know directly where to focus my revision. Pretty much got 100% on biochemistry but like no marks on ecology -_- ... so just targeting my weak points. Proper revision probably Christmas. :smile: wbu
Original post by Ben4
Its good you are keeping on top of your notes! Sounds like you have a LOT of revision to do, but should be worth it at the end of the year! Are you enjoying the topics this year? I think they are much more interesting than last year but quite difficult to memorise.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I know tbh.. im pretty worried lol. I desperately need an A in biology, I have A's in my other two subjects ( economics, and psychology).. dropped chemistry :tongue: didn't go too well..

and 100% im loving F214, and most of F215 is okay... just things on genetics/ the crappy ecology section annoy me from time to time. But im finishing my revision early, and making sure I know the book inside out.. before starting past papers.
same I love biology as a subject but its just topics that i dislike which always happen to be in the exam. Im also going to start over christmas. now i just want to finish revising for mocks that we have.

Well im just doing bits/pieces every weekend. I got my paper back for F212 and know directly where to focus my revision. Pretty much got 100% on biochemistry but like no marks on ecology -_- ... so just targeting my weak points. Proper revision probably Christmas. :smile: wbu
Original post by Lilly1234567890
same I love biology as a subject but its just topics that i dislike which always happen to be in the exam. Im also going to start over christmas. now i just want to finish revising for mocks that we have.

cool:smile: good luck with that ! hopefully youll get an A this year haha... do you mind me asking what overall UMS you got this year ? like in the exams... and how many more ums you need to go up :smile:
Reply 8
I know tbh.. im pretty worried lol. I desperately need an A in biology, I have A's in my other two subjects ( economics, and psychology).. dropped chemistry :tongue: didn't go too well..

and 100% im loving F214, and most of F215 is okay... just things on genetics/ the crappy ecology section annoy me from time to time. But im finishing my revision early, and making sure I know the book inside out.. before starting past papers.

Dont be worried, sounds like you know what you're doing. I agree, I find F214 much more interesting than F215, because I dislike environment and ecology; it really is just so mundane its unbelievable :facepalm:

Posted from TSR Mobile
cool:smile: good luck with that ! hopefully youll get an A this year haha... do you mind me asking what overall UMS you got this year ? like in the exams... and how many more ums you need to go up :smile:

I got 221/300 which I know is low. But I'm retaking both units to try and push my grades up.

Posted from TSR Mobile
hey everyone :smile:

has anyone done any assessed practicals yet for A2 biology? I'm due to start a qualitative soon on ecology and was wondering if anyone else has started theirs?

Thanks
Hey guys, I'm re taking both of my exam from last year and just started going over f214... Really sacred
Has anyone got any good revision notes from AS which I could use for me re-takes...
Hey people :biggrin:

I haven't started proper revision for the exam yet since I have no resits to do, buut I've made all my F214 notes, and making notes on F215 at the moment (although the stuff on ecosystems etc. is so flipping boring). I'm going to start revision from Christmas holidays onward.

My revision method involves making notes, then making questions based on these notes in Word. I then save the questions in a specific folder based on the unit and module etc. and then answer the questions straight after or at a later date, saving the answers in a separate folder. This way, when I come to answer the questions again down the line, I can check with my answers :biggrin:!

I'm aiming for an A* (I think biology is the subject I can realistically get an A* in), which is also my predicted grade for bio.

Good luck :OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Don Pedro K.
Hey people :biggrin:

I haven't started proper revision for the exam yet since I have no resits to do, buut I've made all my F214 notes, and making notes on F215 at the moment (although the stuff on ecosystems etc. is so flipping boring). I'm going to start revision from Christmas holidays onward.

My revision method involves making notes, then making questions based on these notes in Word. I then save the questions in a specific folder based on the unit and module etc. and then answer the questions straight after or at a later date, saving the answers in a separate folder. This way, when I come to answer the questions again down the line, I can check with my answers :biggrin:!

I'm aiming for an A* (I think biology is the subject I can realistically get an A* in), which is also my predicted grade for bio.

Good luck :OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Wow nice prediction of an A*! From your revision methods its clear you are capable of that A*!
Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Stargazing 123
Hey guys, I'm re taking both of my exam from last year and just started going over f214... Really sacred
Has anyone got any good revision notes from AS which I could use for me re-takes...

The AS notes from the link I provided in the OP are very good. :smile: Possibly use those to make your own notes? Making your own notes should be way more beneficial than reading other people's notes. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Ben4
Wow nice prediction of an A*! From your revision methods its clear you are capable of that A*! For me, I am kind of coming to the conclusion that 90% avg at A2 is impossible lol. How did you do at AS? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Haha thanks xD! You never know haha depends how much we're willing to work :biggrin:!! I got 282/300 UMS at As for Biology! You?
Guys!!! Che k out the examiner's report on 2015 paper. It will be verrry helpful for ur mocks.
Reply 17
Reply 18
how did you guys do in your mocks?

Thanks for these links!! They have been added to the OP.

Original post by z33
how did you guys do in your mocks?

I haven't done one yet, how did you do? :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending