The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 9460
Just had my interview for Biology over Skype. It couldn't have gone better! :biggrin:
Original post by mechanism
I feel like my interviews went terrible the more I think about it. I kept doing really stupid things and the interviewers looked so unimpressed when I made mistakes (or maybe that's just me overthinking). The interviewer said in my first interview during a long question 'sorry for pushing you' ????? i'm worried that means 'sorry for pushing you, you're obviously not clever enough to be pushed'. I also apologised at the end for being nervous and taking forever to get to the right answer in one of the questions. The questions were quite difficult and I kept hearing 'but why?' and 'what does that mean then?' and a lot of my questions were rephrased because they could see I was struggling a bit. Meh. I know there's nothing I can do now and despite the trauma I really enjoyed working through the problems, they were so challenging I was really excited for them. But then at other times I think of the mistakes I made and the confused expressions they had when my answers were SO unclear. I was just a nervous wreck of babble and never really explained things properly. :frown: I can't even talk to anyone at my school because there's only one other Oxford applicant who hasn't been for their interview yet! It seems that a lot of you guys feel this way though so maybe it's just a general feel.

dont worry about it! I had to ask my interviewers to clarify their question I'm both of my interviews, and one of them even said that what I wad saying was causing a dilemma for him. It was still really fun though! I try and stop myself from second guessing how I did because really, we all give it our best and there's nothing more we can do. You're obviously good enough to get here, remember that! What college/course you applying for?
If anybody has had their English interviews, how did you feel that they went? I left Oxford yesterday and didn't catch a chance to ask any English applicants in particular how they thought theirs went :frown:
How do the E&M'ers feel the interviews went?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9464
Original post by Hareve
Im at St Annes from the 13th through to the 16th for Computer Science, anyone else there? And any tips to prepare?

Same days here, except for Maths :smile: Good luck!
My second history interview was much better than my first - actually felt like I had time to talk :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by thehollowcrown
My second history interview was much better than my first - actually felt like I had time to talk :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

same! (though my first was for politics). did your second also have a passage or just one of them? (also side question, are you going to the meet up tonight?)
Anyone got interview for Straight mathematics at Corpus christi?
I heard they only take 4 undergraduates each year for maths.
Original post by AzizanW
Congratulations! Thank you! :smile: I did what I could haha. Now time to wait. Did you get called in for another interview by a different college?

Yes I did haha, even though they initially told me specifically that I wouldn't get that opportunity, a couple of days later I got called in for an interview from St Hugh's. I'm not sure if that is commonplace or whether that's normal but don't be surprised if you get another one!
Original post by Skitee
Yes I did haha, even though they initially told me specifically that I wouldn't get that opportunity, a couple of days later I got called in for an interview from St Hugh's. I'm not sure if that is commonplace or whether that's normal but don't be surprised if you get another one!

I see haha. I was informed that other colleges might contact me. I hope to just get Exeter though! It's really where I want to be haha
Original post by Hareve
Im at St Annes from the 13th through to the 16th for Computer Science, anyone else there? And any tips to prepare?

I can't help with the computer science side, but I'm at St Annes then as well! Was starting to worry that I hadn't seen anyone else on here who would be there :colondollar:
Hi! I'm in year 12 and, so, won't be applying until next year but I wanted to ask: does anybody know how the application process will change when they no longer have AS to go by? I intend to apply for Physics and three out of my five subjects still have an AS (Maths, Further Maths, and RE) so...will they look at those 3 instead? Someone said to me that Oxbridge wants people to take the AS examinations in subjects anyway, even if it doesn't add to a whole A-level. Is this right? Do I not have a chance if I don't?
Original post by tahliaD
Hi! I'm in year 12 and, so, won't be applying until next year but I wanted to ask: does anybody know how the application process will change when they no longer have AS to go by? I intend to apply for Physics and three out of my five subjects still have an AS (Maths, Further Maths, and RE) so...will they look at those 3 instead? Someone said to me that Oxbridge wants people to take the AS examinations in subjects anyway, even if it doesn't add to a whole A-level. Is this right? Do I not have a chance if I don't?

You might want to directly contact someone at Oxford instead of asking us. They'd be able to advise you better.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by tahliaD

It won't affect Oxford very much because they use GCSE's, aptitude tests and interviews to make their decisions.

It will be more of an issue for Cambridge who use UMS scores from AS to whittle down the field. Have a look on the Cambridge threads - they must be planning for this already.
Is it normal to have an interview at a second college? or more normal not to? So far I only know of when my interviews for the college I've applied to are, but I don't have any for any other colleges
Original post by Pars12
It won't affect Oxford very much because they use GCSE's, aptitude tests and interviews to make their decisions.

It will be more of an issue for Cambridge who use UMS scores from AS to whittle down the field. Have a look on the Cambridge threads - they must be planning for this already.

Ahhhh, that's okay then; as long as it's not too much of an issue for Oxford candidates, I'm A-okay. Thank you! :biggrin:
Original post by somnacin
What!! That sounds rather... mean of her :s-smilie:
Did she expand on why they were flaws though? Or was it: this this and that is wrong, tell me why?

Curiously enough, the interviewers completely skipped my written work! And I spent the whole morning writing lists supporting my points and cramming info in my head as well :colondollar:

We kind of worked through the essay (starting with the title- didn't even get that right!) and she just picked out bit's like where I'd evaluated a source pretty poorly or made a statement without much to back it up and challenged me on it. I think perhaps she was hoping I'd try and defend myself, but I actually ended up agreeing with her most of the time. I'm not even that worried about the interview, I just know now that my written work was obviously pretty poor so I may as well pack my bags!

Oh no that sucks! Have you had all your interviews? Perhaps there was nothing they wanted to challenge to on! I hope your interviews have gone well so far :smile:
Original post by MHI
Yeah, my first history interview was split into a personal statement section then a written work section. I have my source based interview in an hour though 😂

Oh, OK - I hope it went well :wink:
Anyone stayed at Univ? Is there WIFI there? All the best to everyone! I've got my first interview at Jesus, and the second at Univ!
Original post by mechanism
I feel like my interviews went terrible the more I think about it. I kept doing really stupid things and the interviewers looked so unimpressed when I made mistakes (or maybe that's just me overthinking). The interviewer said in my first interview during a long question 'sorry for pushing you' ????? i'm worried that means 'sorry for pushing you, you're obviously not clever enough to be pushed'. I also apologised at the end for being nervous and taking forever to get to the right answer in one of the questions. The questions were quite difficult and I kept hearing 'but why?' and 'what does that mean then?' and a lot of my questions were rephrased because they could see I was struggling a bit. Meh. I know there's nothing I can do now and despite the trauma I really enjoyed working through the problems, they were so challenging I was really excited for them. But then at other times I think of the mistakes I made and the confused expressions they had when my answers were SO unclear. I was just a nervous wreck of babble and never really explained things properly. :frown: I can't even talk to anyone at my school because there's only one other Oxford applicant who hasn't been for their interview yet! It seems that a lot of you guys feel this way though so maybe it's just a general feel.

Please don't worry - they were probably just apologising because they know how hard they make it! They always push you as far as they can, it's normal to think you've just said a bunch of waffle. These interviews ARE hard, and they make them hard because they want to see how you naturally react when asked difficult questions - they don't expect you to give a perfect answer! Their apology is probably just a standard thing, not something they said just to you! It's great that you enjoyed the interviews :smile: I know how you feel - I was the only Oxford applicant from my school. There's plenty of us on here you can talk to, though! You're right, these feelings are felt by most people :wink:

Latest

Trending

Trending