The Student Room Group

Psychology Exeter vs Surrey

Hello, I've received offers from Exeter, Surrey, Lancaster and Portsmouth for Psychology, but the top two regarding requirements and ranking are Exeter and Surrey, so mainly it's a choice between those two (I'll probably ins Lancaster)

The required grades are the same for both. Tbh I'm more bent towards Exeter because it's a Russell Group uni, but Surrey is closer to London and it's classed a bit higher than Exeter (at least on thecompleteuniversityguide site).

What should I pick?
Original post by Iarina
Hello, I've received offers from Exeter, Surrey, Lancaster and Portsmouth for Psychology, but the top two regarding requirements and ranking are Exeter and Surrey, so mainly it's a choice between those two (I'll probably ins Lancaster)

The required grades are the same for both. Tbh I'm more bent towards Exeter because it's a Russell Group uni, but Surrey is closer to London and it's classed a bit higher than Exeter (at least on thecompleteuniversityguide site).

What should I pick?

Did you apply for the training placement at Surrey?

I read somewhere that Surrey is the top university for graduate employment mainly because of the training placements offered for most of the courses there in the third year.

I applied to both Surrey and Exeter too but for Sociology. Out of the two, I would choose Surrey.

You shouldn't let the prestige of a Russell Group uni cloud your judgement. Consider all the other aspects of Exeter and compare them to what Surrey offers.
Reply 2
Original post by undine_monty
Did you apply for the training placement at Surrey?

I read somewhere that Surrey is the top university for graduate employment mainly because of the training placements offered for most of the courses there in the third year.

I applied to both Surrey and Exeter too but for Sociology. Out of the two, I would choose Surrey.

You shouldn't let the prestige of a Russell Group uni cloud your judgement. Consider all the other aspects of Exeter and compare them to what Surrey offers.

Don't you apply for the placement year after you actually get in? I know my course has a placement year, but it says it's optional, so I'm guessing you apply for that way later.

Other than this placement year, could you tell me what else Surrey has over Exeter?
Original post by Iarina
Don't you apply for the placement year after you actually get in? I know my course has a placement year, but it says it's optional, so I'm guessing you apply for that way later.

Other than this placement year, could you tell me what else Surrey has over Exeter?

You apply for the placement year through UCAS along with your other options in your application. There are different UCAS codes for the placement course and normal 3 year course for your subject choice. You could ask Surrey about getting your course changed to the placement one if you decide you want to go there.I can't say what else Surrey has over Exeter because I didn't really research Exeter. It was my 5th choice. I can tell you some of the great things about Surrey but I can't compare it to Exeter. I know they don't have training placements though.Surrey is on a beautiful campus with lakes filled with ducks. It was ranked the 4th best uni for student satisfaction. Rated 1st for graduate employability (I might've said that already). The Surrey Sports Park offers great sporting facilities; one of the best university sports facilities in the country. The university also won The Times and Sunday Times University of the Year 2016.The reason I started looking at Surrey was because it was rated 3rd in the UK for Sociology and it also offered entry requirements that I could realistically achieve. The training placements also appealed to me. Its also close to London so I'm not too far from home even though I plan on staying in the accommodation if I get an offer. I ordered the prospectus and it gave me all the information necessary for me to decide Surrey would be my first choice.I think you should order the prospectuses for both unis, if you haven't already and compare the unis through that for an unbiased decision.
Reply 4
Exeter has a nicer campus, better facilities and better students(74% of Exeter students have AAB+ compared to only 23% for Surrey)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending