The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

How much do the tutors look at overall interview performance compared to individual? I feel like my first interview was very meh while my second interview went really well... (For history btw)
Original post by patricio_miguel
Can you still get in if you performed at the interview really badly?

Yep - current Oxford student but don't think any of my friends, when we've chatted about our interviews, thought their interview went well and some people have some real horror stories! Yet we're all here :smile:
Original post by Lainathiel
Are you there on Sunday for medicine? Just asking because I'm at Worcester on Sunday too! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Nah maths, might see you there then!
Original post by Eux
Nah maths, might see you there then!

You guys didnt have interview for Maths yet? Somehow, I did my Skype one on Tuesday.
Original post by JackedMath4
You guys didnt have interview for Maths yet? Somehow, I did my Skype one on Tuesday.

How was it?
Don't worry about it - this kind of thing is fairly common. They won't hold it against you, because it doesn't tell them much relevant to whether you'd get on well as a student at Oxford. (All sorts of things can go wrong in interviews - people just freeze and literally say nothing all interview, or just burst into tears and say nothing. When that sort of thing happens, they just reschedule the interview and give these people another chance.)
Original post by buzzfeed23
Anyone stayed at Univ? Is there WIFI there? All the best to everyone! I've got my first interview at Jesus, and the second at Univ!

Hi! I'm currently staying at Univ and the wifi is a bit temperamental! Works fine on my phone but can't get it to work on my laptop so I think it's a bit hit and miss! What subject are you applying for?:smile:
Original post by JackedMath4

All skype interviews are earlier i think, all maths interviews are from 13th to 16th
Original post by danniegee
Please don't worry - they were probably just apologising because they know how hard they make it! They always push you as far as they can, it's normal to think you've just said a bunch of waffle. These interviews ARE hard, and they make them hard because they want to see how you naturally react when asked difficult questions - they don't expect you to give a perfect answer! Their apology is probably just a standard thing, not something they said just to you! It's great that you enjoyed the interviews :smile: I know how you feel - I was the only Oxford applicant from my school. There's plenty of us on here you can talk to, though! You're right, these feelings are felt by most people :wink:

Haha thanks this is really reassuring. Yeah it just came a bit out of the blue, I had just finished a really hard question and he said 'sorry for pushing you' kind of put me off because I thought 'does that mean I was pushed far in a good way or that he's sorry because he shouldn't have pushed me?'
Haha.
And yeah that's exactly how I felt - a lot of times I could see they were a bit confused by what I was saying and I was myself! At one point I was so far gone within an answer that I forgot the question! Oh well, it's all over and I'll see what happens :smile: thanks so much
Original post by magic_is_might
dont worry about it! I had to ask my interviewers to clarify their question I'm both of my interviews, and one of them even said that what I wad saying was causing a dilemma for him. It was still really fun though! I try and stop myself from second guessing how I did because really, we all give it our best and there's nothing more we can do. You're obviously good enough to get here, remember that! What college/course you applying for?

Yeah fair enough. ah yay, not just me then! Brasenose Biochem :smile: wby?
Original post by maella
I thought the text-analysis went okay too and the general one less well haha. Where did you interview at? If it's any conciliation I was answering a question and one of the tutors cut me off because (I assume) I was taking too long, and later in the interview I noticed she was staring into space behind me...

Jesus, what about you? And that's the exact same for me too!
Reply 9511
Hi there!

I would really appreciate it if you would be able to give me some tips and advice about your experience as I really want to apply to read Jurisprudence at HMC next year.
Original post by Pythian
Just had all my interviews at Harris Manchester Jurisprudence.

Had a wonderful time and really love the college,

I've had both of mine for Balliol, also loving it...
Have you had a dismissal notice yet, or do you have any idea when they come out?
Original post by connieiscrazy
Had my second Law interview today, was a lot harder than the first :/ Swings and roundabouts I suppose

Posted from TSR Mobile

Can you confirm if Hugh's has wifi for interviewees?
Original post by maella
I interviewed at HMC too! It's got such a nice feel about it and I like the fact that the college principle interviews every candidate too.

Ohhhh really? I might have met you?

what subject? :biggrin:
Original post by Maggiels
I've had both of mine for Balliol, also loving it...
Have you had a dismissal notice yet, or do you have any idea when they come out?

oh lovely. I went by Balliol several times!

We probably went past each other! :smile:
Original post by JohnGreek
They still haven't released any of the Law people at the college I'm being interviewed at yet...
slightly annoying

I have been released!

I'm not quite sure what the means? Is it good that I was released without being interviewed at a different college? :s-smilie:
Original post by connieiscrazy
Had my second Law interview today, was a lot harder than the first :/ Swings and roundabouts I suppose

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi there

which college?

I was @ Harris Manchester.
Original post by Pythian
Hi there

which college?

I was @ Harris Manchester.

Hi Pythian!

I applied to Harris Manchester too. The Principal is really a lovely man isn't he? Which subject are you applying for? :smile:
Original post by ryanicale
Hi Pythian!

I applied to Harris Manchester too. The Principal is really a lovely man isn't he? Which subject are you applying for? :smile:

Oh my goodness!

How very spooky. Where you at the college on Wed and Thurs? which subject? :ninja:

p.s. i had law interviews.;

Latest