The Student Room Group

Graduate Entry Medicine 2017

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ForestCat
If you can't afford undergrad don't apply this cycle. It would be heartbreaking to get an offer but not be able to afford to take it up, or worse have to drop out partway through. Focus on GEM this cycle and see how it goes. You can always reevaluate the year after if needs be.

GEM is my first choice but have no idea a) should I apply for GAMSAT unis (BMAT unis im interested in say I meet their criteria for everything for their GEM courses and UKCAT unis are the majority of GEM providers) and
b) should I revise A level material again for GAMSAT preparations / potentially resiting A levels incase GEM doesnt work out (I am someone who found 4 years of uni, including a final year where a lot of bad things kept happening (which I will not talk about in public forums as it can be used to identify me) - a lot easier than A levels (although I did suffer from ptsd due to a bizarre incident during my june as level exams)
Original post by Quilverine
Ah okay, they made it sound like they only took professional degrees with a lab science Masters. They checked my transcript - also medical imaging - and they said it lacked the sort of science they required. The switch only happened for this year's entry because it was fine two years ago (my ukcat was not). Maybe scan your transcript and get it out to admissions for your possible options in March/April once all the 2016 entry stuff has calmed down. If you're still studying send the results you have so far and the modules you will take.

Sorry one more thing, I have chemistry and Human Biology for science A levels will this be acceptable or would i need to pick up another science A level on the side?
Original post by quasa
GEM is my first choice but have no idea a) should I apply for GAMSAT unis (BMAT unis im interested in say I meet their criteria for everything for their GEM courses and UKCAT unis are the majority of GEM providers) and
b) should I revise A level material again for GAMSAT preparations / potentially resiting A levels incase GEM doesnt work out (I am someone who found 4 years of uni, including a final year where a lot of bad things kept happening (which I will not talk about in public forums as it can be used to identify me) - a lot easier than A levels (although I did suffer from ptsd due to a bizarre incident during my june as level exams)

It depends on a lot of factors. Which entrance exam will open up the most options for you?

If I were you, I'd slowly start going over GAMSAT materials in prep for next September (unless you want to try and squeeze the prep in before the March exam). Then at the end of spring start prepping for UKCAT. Sit the UKCAT ASAP and if you ace it then apply to UKCAT unis. If your score is a bit more average, then continue prepping for GAMSAT and apply to some GAMSAT unis.

The only GEM that requires BMAT is Oxford, isn't it? If your a-levels aren't so great I wouldn't even think about Oxford.
It depends on a lot of factors. Which entrance exam will open up the most options for you?

If I were you, I'd slowly start going over GAMSAT materials in prep for next September (unless you want to try and squeeze the prep in before the March exam). Then at the end of spring start prepping for UKCAT. Sit the UKCAT ASAP and if you ace it then apply to UKCAT unis. If your score is a bit more average, then continue prepping for GAMSAT and apply to some GAMSAT unis.

The only GEM that requires BMAT is Oxford, isn't it? If your a-levels aren't so great I wouldn't even think about Oxford.

actually imperial and cambridge also require bmat for GEM but oxbridge is out of the question. UCL and leeds also require it for undergrad (shame leeds doesnt do GEM as I enjoyed working in their hospital trust for cross-sector training this year- p.s. im from bedfordshire so I am aware that was a massive distance from home but hopefully it shows how committed i am to gaining hospital experience).
but it is predominantly ukcat schools im after. the plan is ukcat in summer and i was considering gamsat in march but I have some verbal agreements to do some locum work in march and april (feb is still up in the air however). bmat everyone says is straightforward if you remember gcse maths and double science. in terms of GAMSAT revision what resources would anyone recommend?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by quasa
actually imperial and cambridge also require bmat for GEM but oxbridge is out of the question. UCL and leeds also require it for undergrad (shame leeds doesnt do GEM as I enjoyed working in their hospital trust for cross-sector training this year- p.s. im from bedfordshire so I am aware that was a massive distance from home but hopefully it shows how committed i am to gaining hospital experience).
but it is predominantly ukcat schools im after. the plan is ukcat in summer and i was considering gamsat in march but I have some verbal agreements to do some locum work in march and april (feb is still up in the air however). bmat everyone says is straightforward if you remember gcse maths and double science. in terms of GAMSAT revision what resources would anyone recommend?

Imperial is a 5 year GEM and as such ineligible for tuition fee loans.

If you can't afford to do a 5 year course, doing the BMAT seems a waste of time. Save the effort, and the money, for GAMSAT and UKCAT.

I never did the GAMSAT so I can't help with resources.
Imperial is a 5 year GEM and as such ineligible for tuition fee loans.

If you can't afford to do a 5 year course, doing the BMAT seems a waste of time. Save the effort, and the money, for GAMSAT and UKCAT.

I never did the GAMSAT so I can't help with resources.

I checked with NHS regarding brusary for imperials GEM programme and they said the last 3 years for all GEM courses, including 5 year GEM courses, were covered by nhs bursary (although this was 2014 I enquired so no idea if it has changed, but imperial implemented the 5 year course in 2013 if im not mistaken, so will need to double check).
as it stands, for 2016, 4 year is the only option but 2017 entry, i should have saved a bit more to consider both options (september 2016 is when I will decide to apply for just GEM or both GEM and undergrad, although the former is definately the one I am looking to do)
(edited 8 years ago)
Hello, what type of work experience and volunteering work are people hoping to apply for gem 2017 doing?
I am wondering if there needs to be a lot more than what people do when the apply during a levels as its supposed to be more competitive.
Thank you
Original post by ellen111
Hello, what type of work experience and volunteering work are people hoping to apply for gem 2017 doing?
I am wondering if there needs to be a lot more than what people do when the apply during a levels as its supposed to be more competitive.
Thank you

You do need more experience than the A level applicants would be expected to have seeing as you are considered a mature student, thus are expected to demonstrate the life experience you have gained and your understanding of the world of medicine.

However, don't be daunted - you will see some people on here that have extraordinary amounts of experience, like years worth of full time paid work in wards alongside doctors and such. If you don't have this, don't panic. The husband of a friend of mine teaches medicine at Manchester, and made it clear that so long as you have the required amount of experience the university in question is looking for, ideally from a few sources, then your focus should be the admission test. If you smash that with an excellent score, you WILL get an interview. At that stage, it's down to you to sell yourself. If you can do that, you'll get a position over the person who has 4 years experience as a nurse or such.

His words were "Once you get an interview, you already have a place at that University. You will then have about 60 minutes to talk yourself out of it".

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 348
Original post by Themightylaa
You do need more experience than the A level applicants would be expected to have seeing as you are considered a mature student, thus are expected to demonstrate the life experience you have gained and your understanding of the world of medicine.

However, don't be daunted - you will see some people on here that have extraordinary amounts of experience, like years worth of full time paid work in wards alongside doctors and such. If you don't have this, don't panic. The husband of a friend of mine teaches medicine at Manchester, and made it clear that so long as you have the required amount of experience the university in question is looking for, ideally from a few sources, then your focus should be the admission test. If you smash that with an excellent score, you WILL get an interview. At that stage, it's down to you to sell yourself. If you can do that, you'll get a position over the person who has 4 years experience as a nurse or such.

His words were "Once you get an interview, you already have a place at that University. You will then have about 60 minutes to talk yourself out of it".

Posted from TSR Mobile

Brilliant advice - I think people on here do tend to have higher UKCAT/GAMSAT/BMAT scores and many with above average work experience so it's easy to get swept away with it.

On the other hand, you do see people gaining interviews with what appears to be 'little' work experience. Genuinely depends on what it is you do, how much is done and what you've learnt from it everyone's different and treated as such.

Also, that last quote there, I've heard many times from admissions and interviewers! Easily done, jumping through academic hurdles and then falling at the interview!
Hi guys,

I didn't see a thread for this so might as well get the ball rolling...

A bit about me:

Penultimate year of BSc in Human Health and Disease from Trinity College Dublin. Expecting to achieve a 2.1 minimum.

Hospital work experience in Uganda.
Voluntary work experience with elderly/disabled/homeless

This summer I have a COPD research internship in Weill Cornell Medical School, NYC.

Hoping to source GP placement in september.

I'm planing on doing the UKCAT and applying or the two scottish universities (Glasgow and Edinburgh) and then 2 of Southhampton/KCL/Warwick.

Does anyone know how Irish graduates fare? is there an unspoken preference for UK grads? Am I wise to just do the UKCAT instead of the GAMSAT (which works out more expensive)?

So who else is applying and what are your credentials? Where do you hope to go?
Original post by chocbrownie
Are most 5 year courses (A100) open to graduates? And if so, can anyone tell me what the general requirements are? I know I could research this myself, and I definitely plan to- but if anyone has already looked into it, I would really appreciate the info!

Cheers :smile:

Most, if not all, are open to graduates. But their requirements vary wildly. Some will still require As at a-level and some will go off your degree. I'm afraid its just a case of looking and doing your homework. You'll also need £36k for the 5 year courses.
Most, if not all, are open to graduates. But their requirements vary wildly. Some will still require As at a-level and some will go off your degree. I'm afraid its just a case of looking and doing your homework. You'll also need £36k for the 5 year courses.

Thank you!
I might be wrong, but I thought for graduates who enter medicine you can still get student loan for part of the course fee (over 50%)? Is that not true?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Sugeertha
I might be wrong, but I thought for graduates who enter medicine you can still get student loan for part of the course fee (over 50%)? Is that not true?

Posted from TSR Mobile

You can only get tuition fee loans for four year courses. If you're on a five year course you have to pay the tuition fees for the first four years.
You still get maintenance loans.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by quasa
I checked with NHS regarding brusary for imperials GEM programme and they said the last 3 years for all GEM courses, including 5 year GEM courses, were covered by nhs bursary (although this was 2014 I enquired so no idea if it has changed, but imperial implemented the 5 year course in 2013 if im not mistaken, so will need to double check).
as it stands, for 2016, 4 year is the only option but 2017 entry, i should have saved a bit more to consider both options (september 2016 is when I will decide to apply for just GEM or both GEM and undergrad, although the former is definately the one I am looking to do)

I would recommend directly asking imperial. As far as I am aware NHS bursary for grads doesn't cover the entire tuition fee. So even in the years when you get it you would need to cover most of the tuition fee yourself.

The imperial 5 year course isn't seen as an accelerated course by the student loans company. It's one of the reasons we (Imperial grad medics) where so angry when the course was changed. So you would need to find the fees yourself.

I would be surprised if NHS bursaries treated you as a normal grad. The imperial grad course isn't a grad course in the true sense. You simply do the undergrad course and skip the bsc

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by manupalace
I would recommend directly asking imperial. As far as I am aware NHS bursary for grads doesn't cover the entire tuition fee. So even in the years when you get it you would need to cover most of the tuition fee yourself.

The imperial 5 year course isn't seen as an accelerated course by the student loans company. It's one of the reasons we (Imperial grad medics) where so angry when the course was changed. So you would need to find the fees yourself.

I would be surprised if NHS bursaries treated you as a normal grad. The imperial grad course isn't a grad course in the true sense. You simply do the undergrad course and skip the bsc

Posted from TSR Mobile

ill double check with them around next july / august to be on the safe side
http://www.bristol.ac.uk/medical-school/prospective/mb-medicine-grad-entry/

So looks like Bristol are also cancelling their GEM course?! Has anyone heard why?
Original post by Alphawolf

So looks like Bristol are also cancelling their GEM course?! Has anyone heard why?

Oh dear, slightly worrying!
Original post by Alphawolf

Isn't it because of some EU regulations about the registration of doctors and the fact that medical courses need to be 5 years to facilitate it?

I really hope that if 4 year GEM courses are scrapped that we atleast get more funding for 5 year courses to make it financially viable.
dammit, bristol was my very last option (they want me to have been a registered pharmacist for 2 years before applying for some reason (leicester is the other uni with that weird criteria, others couldnt give a f*** about doing pre-reg)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending