The Student Room Group

Question about reputation points

Hi there,

I have a quick question regarding the use of reputation on this site.

First of all, the official reputation article is a bit out of date, and needs updating. If you look here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/faq.php?faq=rep it says that users have a limit of 5 reps per day (10 reps for subscribers), yet those limits have now been removed. As such, can the FAQ article please be updated?

Secondly, and this is the important bit: it says in the FAQ that if you are not logged on for 100 days, your reputation points start to decrease. If you was to end up getting a black card somehow (i.e. a permanent ban from the forums), are you able to keep your reputation level if you log in every 100 days (even if it is just to see the banned message that vBulletin gives), or do banned members automatically lose their rep gems, even if they log in?

Thank you for your help :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
I'm confused as to how what happens to your internet points in the event of being permanently banned from the site could in any way be considered "important".
Reply 2
I am curious how people know they are nearly at the next rep level? How do you see how many points you have?
Original post by Jenx301
I am curious how people know they are nearly at the next rep level? How do you see how many points you have?

If you start at www.studentroom.co.uk and scroll down then it shows your rep points at the bottom of the page.
Reply 4
Hello,

Is anyone actually able to help me, in regards to answering the original question?

It's just that I know of someone who would like an answer to this question, about what happens to your rep points.

Do they go down, no matter what, or does logging in keep the rep points alive?

Thanks!
I can't answer the question, but would like to reiterate my confusion as to why on earth this could possibly matter.
Original post by Potally_Tissed
I can't answer the question, but would like to reiterate my confusion as to why on earth this could possibly matter.

You can take away their user functions but you can't take away their pride at reaching 10 gems?
Reply 7
Original post by IFoundWonderland
You can take away their user functions but you can't take away their pride at reaching 10 gems?

However, I'm sure I have seen somewhere that rep points start to decline after 100 days of inactivity - meaning that if you have 10 rep gems, and you get permanently banned, it won't be long before you lose your rep gems?

In that case, would logging in just to see a "You have been banned for the following reason...." message be enough to considered active, or do you have to be an active, posting (i.e. non-banned) member in order to keep your rep points?

Thanks if anyone can clarify this for me. :smile:
Original post by spotify95
However, I'm sure I have seen somewhere that rep points start to decline after 100 days of inactivity - meaning that if you have 10 rep gems, and you get permanently banned, it won't be long before you lose your rep gems?

In that case, would logging in just to see a "You have been banned for the following reason...." message be enough to considered active, or do you have to be an active, posting (i.e. non-banned) member in order to keep your rep points?

Thanks if anyone can clarify this for me. :smile:

Informed guess based on what I can remember of stuff mods can see, back when I was on the team, and when the mod team could actually do moderator things, I think logging onto the site at all even on a banned account like that is enough for it to consider you "active". Still no idea why this could matter though.

The rate at which you lose rep is incredibly small though. Your reputation points multiply by 0.98 for every day of inactivity beyond the first hundred. So if you had exactly 10 rep gems -- that is to say, 12 800 reputation points -- it would take around 468 days for your friend's reputation points to be reduced to 1.

Spoiler

Reply 10
Original post by Hydeman
The rate at which you lose rep is incredibly small though. Your reputation points multiply by 0.98 for every day of inactivity beyond the first hundred. So if you had exactly 10 rep gems -- that is to say, 12 800 reputation points -- it would take around 468 days for your friend's reputation points to be reduced to 1.

Spoiler

Thanks for clarifying - I thought that you did lose rep points after the first 100 days but didn't know it would take that long to decay. So that's about a year and a half from 12,800 rep points down to just 1 rep point.

@Potally_Tissed Thank you for the information - that definitely helps.
For your information, as to why this is important is because I was asked by an ex-member of TSR (who is now banned) if, by being banned, he would lose his rep points that he had earnt. I agree that it isn't the most important thing in the world (you're never going to increase your rep points after being permabanned) but I suppose that he doesn't want to lose the rep that he had accumulated.
Thanks for clarifying - I thought that you did lose rep points after the first 100 days but didn't know it would take that long to decay. So that's about a year and a half from 12,800 rep points down to just 1 rep point.

@Potally_Tissed Thank you for the information - that definitely helps.
For your information, as to why this is important is because I was asked by an ex-member of TSR (who is now banned) if, by being banned, he would lose his rep points that he had earnt. I agree that it isn't the most important thing in the world (you're never going to increase your rep points after being permabanned) but I suppose that he doesn't want to lose the rep that he had accumulated.

That's a bit sad.

Yeah, my bad. xD That 468 days figure is on top of the initial 100 days so the total is 568 days from the last login, which is just over a year and a half. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest