The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by maella
I interviewed at HMC too! It's got such a nice feel about it and I like the fact that the college principle interviews every candidate too.

Small is beautiful. HMC is looking for around 30 undergraduates. At the other end of the scale Catz is looking for around 150.
Original post by Pars12
Small is beautiful. HMC is looking for around 30 undergraduates. At the other end of the scale Catz is looking for around 150.

I was interviewed at Wadham, my chosen college first. Do you think if Oxford gave me an offer, though I really don't expect they will, it is more likely from the mature college I was interviewed at if i'll be 21 when I first start uni?
Original post by maella
I was interviewed at Wadham, my chosen college first. Do you think if Oxford gave me an offer, though I really don't expect they will, it is more likely from the mature college I was interviewed at if i'll be 21 when I first start uni?

If you think 21 is "mature" you should be my age for a couple of weeks! I really don't think the age difference matters very much but the size difference will make HMC very cosy and Wadham very busy. I'm not sure which I would choose but luckily you don't get the choice.

A lot of good people get rejected and a lot of people who get accepted have no idea how they managed it. I am sure it's not really a lottery but that's how it will feel.

It would be orders of magnitude harder to say which college would actually make the offer and I'm guessing you wouldn't mind either way. HMC is very close to Wadham and if it's too small for you you can do things at university level and go college-hopping.

Edit: I see you are on the ELAT thread so both colleges handy for the St Cross building although you will have to back-track a bit from HMC to do the alternative tuck-shop on your way to lectures.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by not you
Can you confirm if Hugh's has wifi for interviewees?

It does, but they have a policy which states you have to be 18 or over to use it
Original post by Pythian
Hi there

which college?

I was @ Harris Manchester.

St Hugh's :smile: Are you Law too? How have your interviews been?
Original post by Pythian
Oh my goodness!

How very spooky. Where you at the college on Wed and Thurs? which subject? :ninja:

p.s. i had law interviews.;

I wasn't at the college myself, had an interview over Skype for PPE.

Fantastic! Best of luck to you for law and I hope I get to see you next year :wink:
guys, i badly need help.i have a chemistry interview on monday and im freaking out.i havent prepared on anything yet..what should i do?
For those of you who've had a Skype interview, did you experience any technical issues? Do you have any tips? They would be much appreciated. :smile:

I have a Skype interview for EP on Monday and I'm worried about connectivity issues and stuff like that.
Original post by Pythian
I have been released!

I'm not quite sure what the means? Is it good that I was released without being interviewed at a different college? :s-smilie:

If you've been released it means one of two things - either they really like you and want you, or they aren't going to take you/send you elsewhere... I'm sure it was the first though!

I'm still waiting to be released!
Will it say that you have another interview in the morning, or do you need to keep checking throughout the day?
Original post by misschievous2505
guys, i badly need help.i have a chemistry interview on monday and im freaking out.i havent prepared on anything yet..what should i do?

I have one on Monday as well, and from what I've seen, you don't need to know too much, just the core ideas from AS and A2. They just want to see how you apply your knowledge to an unknown situation, so what I've done is basically to look at questions on all aspects of chemistry and figure out an answer, perhaps not a correct one, but they're not looking for correct answers. Just read your statement, make sure you understand all of the concepts about chemistry you may have mentioned, and maybe attempt a few questions.The common ones from what I've seen (all of the previous candidates at my school wrote their questions down): Why Chemistry, why Oxford, and then for chemistry, mechanisms you're not supposed to know such as carboxylic acid and alcohol, certain nucleophilic and electrophilic addition reactions, and stuff like why do atoms have the properties they have.
Most importantly, have fun, everyone I know who has already gone said they had a great time
Original post by mechanism
Haha thanks this is really reassuring. Yeah it just came a bit out of the blue, I had just finished a really hard question and he said 'sorry for pushing you' kind of put me off because I thought 'does that mean I was pushed far in a good way or that he's sorry because he shouldn't have pushed me?'
Haha.
And yeah that's exactly how I felt - a lot of times I could see they were a bit confused by what I was saying and I was myself! At one point I was so far gone within an answer that I forgot the question! Oh well, it's all over and I'll see what happens :smile: thanks so much

No problem! Yeah, just try and enjoy the holidays when they come :wink:

P.S. The whole forgetting-the-question-halfway-through-your-answer thing is something I still do in my tutorials, don't worry about it :biggrin:
Original post by Lsdjrl
Will it say that you have another interview in the morning, or do you need to keep checking throughout the day?

You should try to check the board throughout the day - I tried to check it maybe once every hour or so when I had interviews. If they need to schedule a last-minute interview, they'll probably try to ring you :smile:
Can you get pooled after interviews? Like accepted by a college you weren't interviewed at?
Original post by danniegee

P.S. The whole forgetting-the-question-halfway-through-your-answer thing is something I still do in my tutorials, don't worry about it :biggrin:

Oh wow sorry I didn't realise you're already an Oxford student!! Haha. Yeah to be honest I'm really not expecting anything because they didn't go how I wanted them to go - of course you can't prepare for them so it's difficult to know how you did! It's only been a few days but it's all a blur now, so I can't do any more analysis (which is great - stops me overthinking) :wink:
Original post by skjdhewj
Can you get pooled after interviews? Like accepted by a college you weren't interviewed at?

Yes. You can also be made an open offer, which means that you won't find out which college you're going to until results day next year.
Original post by Fedelias
Yes. You can also be made an open offer, which means that you won't find out which college you're going to until results day next year.

Thank you
Original post by mechanism
Oh wow sorry I didn't realise you're already an Oxford student!! Haha. Yeah to be honest I'm really not expecting anything because they didn't go how I wanted them to go - of course you can't prepare for them so it's difficult to know how you did! It's only been a few days but it's all a blur now, so I can't do any more analysis (which is great - stops me overthinking) :wink:

:biggrin: Yeah, sorry - just trying to help out applicants like students did for me last year :smile: You've hit the nail on the head there, really...it's impossible to work out how you've done, because you can't plan your interviews, they never go as well as you'd hoped, and no-one really knows what the tutors want to see exactly anyway, so worrying about it is completely pointless (but so easy to do!). That is good - it's hard not to overthink, so you sound like you're doing well :wink:
Reply 9538
Original post by danniegee

I did this as well in my interview on Monday - I was asked a question by one tutor that lad on from a scenario that the other tutor told me.
But was confused by the initial scenario
And I had to ask tutor 1 to clarify the scenario.
And then once it had been explained I had forgotten the question that I had been asked orginally and had to ask tutor 2 to repeat her question straight after.
I'm still cringing, worst moment of my interview :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Renaa
I did this as well in my interview on Monday - I was asked a question by one tutor that lad on from a scenario that the other tutor told me.
But was confused by the initial scenario
And I had to ask tutor 1 to clarify the scenario.
And then once it had been explained I had forgotten the question that I had been asked orginally and had to ask tutor 2 to repeat her question straight after.
I'm still cringing, worst moment of my interview :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's OK, I doubt they even thought anything of it to be honest. Last year during my Philosophy interview, one of the tutors asked me what I thought about some problem we had been discussing, and after I had said what I was thinking I went and said 'I don't know...what do you think?". I didn't even think before I asked. He didn't mind, though! I'm always asking for clarifications in my tutorials now - tutors don't expect you to be able to understand everything instantly. Plus, they know that interviews can be particularly stressful, so it's expected that you'll probably forget things like this. :wink:

Latest

Trending

Trending