The Student Room Group
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge

Cambridge 2016 Postgraduate Entry

Scroll to see replies

Reply 580
Do you think there are possibilities for us to receive a funding applying by the 6th January for a Master or MPhil?

In their website I read that funding from the Computer Laboratory will be available just for Exceptional students......
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge
I'm having problems understanding their "Graduate Applicant Self Service" page tbh. Like, on the main page they have those links: Names, Addresses, Phone numbers, Email Addresses, Photograph. I did fill all of them as far as I can remember, but if I click on them they show empty. For example, I go on "Phone Numbers", there's nothing listed. I try to add a mobile one and I'm prompted with a message telling me that's already been submitted and I should edit the entry if I want to, but there is no entry. Anyone else experiencing this kind of issues?

2015-12-09-161759_751x387_scrot.png
Reply 582
Original post by lostkauze
I'm having problems understanding their "Graduate Applicant Self Service" page tbh. Like, on the main page they have those links: Names, Addresses, Phone numbers, Email Addresses, Photograph. I did fill all of them as far as I can remember, but if I click on them they show empty. For example, I go on "Phone Numbers", there's nothing listed. I try to add a mobile one and I'm prompted with a message telling me that's already been submitted and I should edit the entry if I want to, but there is no entry. Anyone else experiencing this kind of issues?

2015-12-09-161759_751x387_scrot.png

That seems like a better question for the Graduate Admissions staff: [email protected]
Reply 583
Do you guys know when the undergraduate admissions end? My supervisor said he will talk to me once he's done with that.
Original post by Josb
Do you guys know when the undergraduate admissions end? My supervisor said he will talk to me once he's done with that.

Interviews mostly finish this week, but the process as a whole is over in January when the winter pool closes. But for most academics, things should be quieter from next week.
Original post by gutenberg
I'm sorry to hear that. Good luck with your Oxford application - as sj27 says, people are accepted there after a rejection at Cambridge, so chin up! :smile:

Thank you very much, it's nice of you to say. I do hope so and if not it's also not the end of the world. :smile:

Good luck to all with everything!
Reply 586
Is the 'Under Consideration by Degree' stage more major or less major than the 'Under Consideration by Department'? I'm just wondering if I should get my hopes up.
Reply 587
Original post by Broyo
Is the 'Under Consideration by Degree' stage more major or less major than the 'Under Consideration by Department'? I'm just wondering if I should get my hopes up.

I've never seen that. Are you applying for a PhD? Maybe that means you've been deemed admissible, but they're unsure whether to offer you enrollment as a master or PhD student.
Original post by Broyo

Original post by Impune
I've never seen that. Are you applying for a PhD? Maybe that means you've been deemed admissible, but they're unsure whether to offer you enrollment as a master or PhD student.

Have a look here:

http://www.graduate.study.cam.ac.uk/sites/www.2016.graduate.study.cam.ac.uk/files/process_chart1.pdf

Degree committee looks at the balance of offers across a faculty (just in case one department recommends too many candidates)

Having said that, some applicants get either department or degree, depending on what they're applying for (or at least one is so quick that you don't see it), so don't read too much into it.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 589
Original post by Broyo

Original post by Impune

I think Broyo left "committee" out and confused impune?

In any case the answer is "maybe but not necessarily"... Depending on department. The short answer is, there have been a good number of cases reported that make it through department stage but get rejected at degree committee stage. Don't get your hopes up till you're at BoGS, at which point it is - usually - a formality.
Reply 590
Original post by sj27
I think Broyo left "committee" out and confused impune?

In any case the answer is "maybe but not necessarily"... Depending on department. The short answer is, there have been a good number of cases reported that make it through department stage but get rejected at degree committee stage. Don't get your hopes up till you're at BoGS, at which point it is - usually - a formality.

Yes, I did leave out committee; I'm not up for a special situation I promise you. I'm from a very different discipline to the one I have applied to do, so I'm wondering if my big thing would be to convince the department themselves?

I went through the department in a few days but have been stuck at the committee meeting for some weeks. I am wondering if they simply have not had a meeting at all or whether they can't decide?
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 591
Original post by Broyo
Yes, I did leave out committee; I'm not up for a special situation I promise you. I'm from a very different discipline to the one I have applied to do, so I'm wondering if my big thing would be to convince the department themselves?

I went through the department in a few days but have been stuck at the committee meeting for some weeks. I am wondering if they simply have not had a meeting at all or whether they can't decide?

You're probably overthinking it....and not all departments depend on committee meeting dates either so don't go by those.

And while some action may happen between the undergrad admissions stuff and the end of year shutdown, it's more likely that you'll only get news next year. So (easier said than done I know!) try forget about it a while and enjoy the festive season.
Reply 592
Original post by sj27
You're probably overthinking it....and not all departments depend on committee meeting dates either so don't go by those.

And while some action may happen between the undergrad admissions stuff and the end of year shutdown, it's more likely that you'll only get news next year. So (easier said than done I know!) try forget about it a while and enjoy the festive season.

Sigh...thanks though. I'd hoped to get ready to celebrate. Do you get an email when it moves to BoGS or if you are rejected? If so, no news is not bad news, at least.
Original post by Broyo
Sigh...thanks though. I'd hoped to get ready to celebrate. Do you get an email when it moves to BoGS or if you are rejected? If so, no news is not bad news, at least.

I didn't. I just kept checking religiously on the self-service.
I guess those of us still waiting to hear won't be hearing anything until at least January then.
Reply 595
Original post by tsukurutazaki
I guess those of us still waiting to hear won't be hearing anything until at least January then.

I'd never be quite so definite about anything to do with this process, but I'd think for most people, by this stage of December, chances of hearing back before next year are pretty slim.
Reply 596
I've heard that the notifications for the Gates-Cambridge interviews have started to go out today. Anyone hear anything yet?
Original post by taps234
I've heard that the notifications for the Gates-Cambridge interviews have started to go out today. Anyone hear anything yet?

A friend of mine at another top university heard back this morning.

Does that mean we have no hope? Don't really understand why they would stretch it out over a period of days, but lurking around forums on the internet suggests that people have heard at different times.
Reply 598
Original post by needurgenthelp

Does that mean we have no hope? Don't really understand why they would stretch it out over a period of days, but lurking around forums on the internet suggests that people have heard at different times.

Probably. The only impetus for them stretching out the notifications over a few days that I can think of is the departments' various rates at which they process applications. Then again, the website states that all departments rank candidates in November, presumably regardless of whether or not they've made a conditional offer to the candidate. So the committee should have had some time to determine their shortlist if they're adhering to the schedule they made public. Oh well--fingers crossed for funding from St. John's!
Reply 599
Original post by taps234

Original post by needurgenthelp

Ooph. That's a shame. I was really hoping to at least make it to the interview stage. Oh well!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending