The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by AliRizzo
Dude are you okay? Why have you replied the exact same thing you did yesterday? I ignored you for a reason. You know NOTHING about Arsenal.

13/14 and 14/15 two of our most successful seasons in recent memory? Eh? We bottled the league in 13/14 BECAUSE OF GIROUD. Giroud was also injured for 3 months in 14/15 so once again your argument has collapsed. It was Sanchez who kept us afloat while we weren't playing well. But then again you wouldn't know that BECAUSE YOU DON'T WATCH ARSENAL.

Giroud was at fault for you bottling the League, despite the fact that Arsenal were conceding over two goals a game on average from February to April... Okay then lol, should he have got a hat trick every game?. He was one of your BEST players at the end of 14/15, I don't care if you have an executive box at the Emirates because you clearly know nothing.

Successful because we won the FA Cup? Sure. But don't tell me your gonna say we won the cups because of him because that would just be silly even for your pathetic standards.

Arsenal got their highest points total in 13/14 for 8 years and won their only silverware in a decade in the season GIROUD was a KEY PLAYER.

He rarely gets the chance to score headers? Are you f*cking pulling my leg? YOU DON'T WATCH ARSENAL. STOP MAKING UP STUFF YOU MORON. AND HE WAS A BAG OF SH*TE AGAINST WEST BROM WHY DO YOU KEEP MENTIONING THAT GAME?

Arsenal barely cross so yes he doesn't get that much chance to score headers. Ah yes Giroud was poor when he was creating space for your midfielders, against a side who were trying to cram the middle of the park, but okay then.
(edited 8 years ago)
How were you cheated?

Then why are Arsenal judged by the same standards when discussing the CL? 'Oh we all know Arsenal are going to bottle it again, out of the last 16 5 years in a row' etc etc.

I didn't say this...

Only teams you are definitely out imo is Atlético, Barcelona and Real and that's fair.

That's not to say I don't agree with you, I actually do. But Wolfsburg have not been impressive at all this year and that's the truth. Conceding 5 goals in 9 minutes or whatever it was is absolutely shocking. Even against United they were all over the place defensively and almost shot themselves in the foot. United had so many good chances in the last 10 mins it was ridiculous, and United are not known for making chances, especially this season.

Using a Bayern Munich match to prove your point? How did you lot fare against Bayern at the Allianz? how did Dortmund(a better team than Arsenal if you consider the way they have played this season) fare against them? Bayern do that. They spank teams that are very good it's normal for them.

Wolfsburg haven't been as good as they were the second half of last season however that doesn't mean that they are a bad team.

I think it's more then fair to say given the money spent in the last two years it would not be ridiculous to suggest United should have easily topped that group. Not even sure how this is a debate.

With the money spent yes but if the money has been spent poorly and the manager hasn't got a working system going then clearly it's not so easy to top a group with Wolfsburg. Chelsea and Arsenal would have struggled to top that same group as well(although they probably would just about).
Original post by Diego Costa
Giroud was at fault for you bottling the League, despite the fact that Arsenal were conceding over two goals a game on average from February to April... Okay then lol, should he have got a hat trick every game?. He was one of your BEST players at the end of 14/15, I don't care if you have an executive box at the Emirates because you clearly know nothing.

Arsenal got their highest points total in 13/14 for 8 years and won their only silverware in a decade in the season GIROUD was a KEY PLAYER.

Arsenal barely cross so yes he doesn't get that much chance to score headers. Ah yes Giroud was poor when he was creating space for your midfielders, against a side who were trying to cram the middle of the park, but okay then.

You are driving me insane. I never said Giroud wasn't good at the end of the 14-15 season, in fact his scoring rate over the last season and a half has been nothing short of spectacular. Way to use stats to show you don't understand football though, fantastic effort.

Also at the time it was our highest points total in 6 years, not 8, confirm your facts before trying to discredit someone because you look like an idiot. Your argument is absolutely ridiculous and really does not have a leg to stand on. Giroud the main focal point in 13/14? He was the only focal point you nonce. Walcott got injured in Jan and our only backup striker was Sanogo. In fact Giroud was so bad that season that SANOGO started ahead of him in two of our biggest games of the season, including BAYERN H and WIGAN FA CUP SEMI FINAL. But carry on telling me how important Giroud was that season to our 'success'.

Giroud scored 22 goals in 51 games that season, including 16 in the premier league. Hardly the great player you are hailing him as, considering he was without any real competition and started nearly every game that season.

The fact that you keep saying Arsenal barely cross 100% confirms you don't watch Arsenal (how many times have I had to say this?!), your just another mindless nerd that goes with the general consensus that Arsenal pass their way into the goal like Barcelona.

Also, I could just as easily say the reason we got that points total or won two FA Cups was because of the signing of Ozil. The fact your trying to pin everything on Giroud is ridiculous.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by difeo

Not sure what's funnier. The fact that United fans genuinely believe Luke Shaw is the best left back in the league and that he's already some world class player, or United fans using the injury of a 20 year old KID as the reason why their season has collapsed.

You didn't score any goals against PSV at home. That's why you went out. Not because your left back was injured.
Not sure what's funnier. The fact that United fans genuinely believe Luke Shaw is the best left back in the league and that he's already some world class player, or United fans using the injury of a 20 year old KID as the reason why their season has collapsed.

You didn't score any goals against PSV at home. That's why you went out. Not because your left back was injured.

Even funnier how I didn't say any of lol

Had a penalty and red card been given as it obviously should've been, we'd have won the game and therefore gone through.

(Nothing's definite etc etc)

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by difeo

Had a penalty and red card been given as it obviously should've been, we'd have almost certainly won the game and therefore gone through.

Posted from TSR Mobile

So many ifs and buts in football, do you know how ridiculous you sound? Also, nothing is certain in football. Even if a pen had been given no one is to say you would have won the game. You got knocked out fair and square, deal with it.
(edited 8 years ago)
So many ifs and buts in football, do you know how ridiculous you sound? Also, nothing is certain in football. Even if a pen had been given no one is to say you would have won the game. You got knocked out fair and square, deal with it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hence why I said nothing's definite. But in all likelihood we would have gone through with correct decisions. Deal with it

Lol @ fair and square, clearly that's retarded

How did they get knocked out "fair and square" if key decisions went against them when they shouldn't have?

You are driving me insane. I never said Giroud wasn't good at the end of the 14-15 season, in fact his scoring rate over the last season and a half has been nothing short of spectacular. Way to use stats to show you don't understand football though, fantastic effort.

Also at the time it was our highest points total in 6 years, not 8, confirm your facts before trying to discredit someone because you look like an idiot. Your argument is absolutely ridiculous and really does not have a leg to stand on. Giroud the main focal point in 13/14? He was the only focal point you nonce. Walcott got injured in Jan and our only backup striker was Sanogo. In fact Giroud was so bad that season that SANOGO started ahead of him in two of our biggest games of the season, including BAYERN H and WIGAN FA CUP SEMI FINAL. But carry on telling me how important Giroud was that season to our 'success'.

I got the date wrong by two years, that completely discredits my opinion. If Giroud started every game as the focal point and Arsenal had their most successful season in several years, how does that make him bad or support you lol? Sanogo started v Bayern because he'd put in a great performance v Liverpool four days earlier in his first start. Wigan aren't a big team and Arsenal had important fixtures coming up at the big time, particularly with Everton breathing down their neck for third.

Giroud scored 22 goals in 51 games that season, including 16 in the premier league. Hardly the great player you are hailing him as, considering he was without any real competition and started nearly every game that season.

Arteta took pens that season, I don't know the exact amount of penalties Arsenal got, however if Giroud was the regular taker he would have most likely brought his tally to around mid to high 20's.

The fact that you keep saying Arsenal barely cross 100% confirms you don't watch Arsenal (how many times have I had to say this?!), your just another mindless nerd that goes with the general consensus that Arsenal pass their way into the goal like Barcelona.

Arsenal would play short passes around the opponent's box, as opposed to crossing most of the time.

Also, I could just as easily say the reason we got that points total or won two FA Cups was because of the signing of Ozil. The fact your trying to pin everything on Giroud is ridiculous.

I'm not trying to pin everything on Giroud Mr Straw man. I find it amusing how you admit that Giroud was the focal point of your most successful season in recent memory yet refuse to give him credit.
Reply 1209
Original post by SA-1
Lol nah - I think I quoted the wrong post from you..

It's been a discussion I've been meaning to have with you for a while anyway :lol:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Let's discuss

2013/2014 he played the majority of our second half of the season on either wing, and at CM. At 19 he was impressive as he was probably our best player in certain games, including the one against Bayern away. But when you surround an average performer with a dross of **** (Podolski, Giroud circa 2014, Arteta, invisible Cazorla) of course he is going to look better than he actually is. I thought he had a good season then and I really wanted him to push on for 2014/15.

At the start of last season, a good number of our attackers were out injured and Ox had played almost every game. He underperformed in the majority of them and I remember at some point his stats were like 1 goal/assist in 19 apps. The only big moment I can remember him having was the assist for Monreal in the UTD game, but even the worst of players can have the occasional big game moment now and then.

Ox doesn't contribute to our attack. Where ever you put him he'll try these fancy flicks or dribbles, which 9/10 times are not successful and we end up losing the ball. He can't counter attack because his decision making and vision is absolutely awful and I remember the amount of times we've failed to attack because A) He tries to beat his man and fails (again), B) He completely misses an open pass because he is unaware of his surroundings C) He's void of confidence and takes the safety pass backwards, completely slowing down, or nullifying our attack and D) Loses the ball in a crucial position and we end up conceding (has happened several times).

You've mentioned he's raw but talented. Issue is in the last 3 seasons there has been hardly any signs of progression or development for Ox. For how long can we keep calling him raw, when there are much, much better players than Ox at this age?
I get that he's young and has time to improve, but why should we take that burden? Loan him out, don't play him expecting him to come good when the reality is that he hasn't been good in a long while, and one pre season goal against Chelsea changes nothing.

Honestly, when Ox is in the side I feel that we really struggle to score.

Spoiler

(edited 8 years ago)
AliRizzo has had a mare in this thread
Reply 1211
Nah, he's got a point though. Giroud in 2014 was a woeful striker.
Original post by zKlown
AliRizzo has had a mare in this thread

Care to explain how?
Original post by difeo

Had a penalty and red card been given as it obviously should've been, we'd have won the game and therefore gone through.

(Nothing's definite etc etc)

Could have, should have, would have. You're beginning to sound like an Arsenal fan, mate.
Speaking of Giroud, put him in the team today, better go to town on Villa, 3 goal difference minimum.
Original post by AR_95
Honestly, when Ox is in the side I feel that we really struggle to score.

Spoiler

Funnily enough you were berating me for saying this about Ox yet you're saying the same thing... Just saying.
Original post by joey11223
Speaking of Giroud, put him in the team today, better go to town on Villa, 3 goal difference minimum.

Should be looking for at least 4 imo

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by AR_95
Nah, he's got a point though. Giroud in 2014 was a woeful striker.

He got 8 goals and 4 assists from January to May that year, how is that woeful? He held up the ball well that year when they had a heavier possession orientated game.
Yh man. He was so woeful he went to WC and started a few games.

This was also during when he was asked to start and get more involved in attack by acting as a one touch link up striker cos of ozil's signing after initially been a movement player that gets on end of attacks in his first season. Woeful he is that giroud.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Diego Costa
How did they get knocked out "fair and square" if key decisions went against them when they shouldn't have?

I got the date wrong by two years, that completely discredits my opinion. If Giroud started every game as the focal point and Arsenal had their most successful season in several years, how does that make him bad or support you lol? Sanogo started v Bayern because he'd put in a great performance v Liverpool four days earlier in his first start. Wigan aren't a big team and Arsenal had important fixtures coming up at the big time, particularly with Everton breathing down their neck for third.

Arteta took pens that season, I don't know the exact amount of penalties Arsenal got, however if Giroud was the regular taker he would have most likely brought his tally to around mid to high 20's.

Arsenal would play short passes around the opponent's box, as opposed to crossing most of the time.

I'm not trying to pin everything on Giroud Mr Straw man. I find it amusing how you admit that Giroud was the focal point of your most successful season in recent memory yet refuse to give him credit.

Wigan aren't a big team sure but how are you trying to deny it wasn't our biggest game of the season at that point? Lose it and I'm sure Wenger wouldn't have signed a new contract.

The penalties is subjective, they're 50/50 so Giroud could have missed them too you know, but I do agree in general.

You keep mentioning how Giroud was our focal point in our most 'successful' season, but I don't understand why you've labelled it as such. Accumulated our highest points total since 2008 but at the end of the day we still finished 4th. What does that tell you? That the strongest teams in the league won more games than usual, and that a lot of points were taken off the small teams, especially in Arsenal's case. As such, it's no surprise we gained a lot of points, because so did everyone else. It balanced out and we still finished 4th, thereby rendering your main argument redundant. I also wouldn't label a season where we got battered by all of our major rivals away from home 'successful', we couldn't even beat David Moyes' Man Utd for crying out loud. And Giroud was the main striker in all of those games, and had some horrendous misses which eventually cost us. I can remember a few away to Man City, a couple of headers (cough) at Old Trafford, and a glorious chance at the beginning of the game at SB to put us one up.

14/15 was even more successful IMO, and Giroud wasn't the main striker for some big games, including the win at Old Trafford and the FA Cup Final. Again, two of our biggest games of the season. He did play his part brilliantly against Monaco though. 6 shots off target I think it was?

In conclusion, shout out to Aaron Ramsey, our main man of the 13/14 season, and not that big oaf who held us back. 16 goals for Aaron and he could have had a lot more if not for his injury. We collapsed like a pack of cards once he got injured.
(edited 8 years ago)

Latest